The Psalms (Psalter) in Latin with Plainsong Chant
  • What I am trying to do: Plainsong chant Morning and Evening Prayer in Latin with the readings in English
    What I am looking for: The Psalms in Latin with Plainsong chant
    Resources on hand:
    The Hymnal 1982 & 1940 (Episcopal)
    The Book of Common Prayer (Episcopal)
    The Latin Vulgate (online)
    Liber Percum Publicarum (The Book of Common Prayer 1662 - Thomas Cranmer) (online)
    The Plainsong Psalter
    The Parish Book of Chant, 2nd ed. (Roman Catholic)

I can do the plainsong chant of Morning and Evening Prayer in English using The Book of Common Prayer, The Hymnal 1982 and The Plainsong Psalter. My experiences with a short-lived local Schola Cantore, in 2018, was a revelation and trying to sing the psalms in Latin is easier. I still need a lot of work with my Church Latin pronunciation. ;) So far I have used Google translate, my sense of the Latin words to which I have been exposed, and The Plainsong Psalter to help determine where or the closest approximation, the asterisk belongs in the Latin verse. This is a long and tedious task and so far I have only done 40 of the Psalms. I am hoping that someone has already done this and published it. Any help would be appreciated.
  • GambaGamba
    http://bbloomf.github.io/jgabc/psalmtone.html

Choose the psalm you want, and the tone you want.
    Thanked by 1david2020
  • Thank you, Gamba. I had already bookmarked this page and totally forgotten about it. :)
  • Richard R.
    I consider the Psalterium monasticum (Solesmes 1981) the best introduction to chanting the Office in Latin, and should be flexible enough for your use.
  • I need further help with the Canticles in Latin for Morning and Evening Prayer.
    The Canticles I need are:
    2/13. A Song of Praise: Benedictus es, Domine: 'Blessed art thou, O Lord God of our fathers;"
    6/20. Glory be to God: Gloria in excelsis
    9. The First Song of Isaiah: Ecce, Deus; "Surely it is God who saves me..."
    10. The Second Song of Isaiah: Quaerite Dominum: "Seek the Lord while he wills to be found;"
    11. The Third Song of Isaiah: Surge, Illuminare: "Arise, shine, for your light has come,"
    14. A Song of Penitence: Kyrie Pantokrator: "O Lord and Ruler of the hosts in heaven,"
    18. A Song to the Lamb: Dignus es: "Splendor and honor and Kingly power are yours by right."
    19. The Song of the Redeemed: Magna et mirabilia: "O ruler of the universe, Lord God."
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Maybe this is something that might be helpful: the entire Liturgia Horarum in Latin (so, including the canticles you're looking for): http://www.almudi.org/Portals/0/docs/Breviario/fuentes/breviario.html
  • OraLabora
    Les Heures Grégoriennes, a Latin-French diurnal noted for Gregorian chant, comes close to what you want. It is for the current Liturgy of the Hours. The French probably isn’t much help but you could use an English version of the LOTH alongside. It includes all hymns, antiphons, psalms, canticles and responsories noted for chant. Not cheap but I certainly got my money’s worth out of my set.

Ora