What are you doing differently?
  • CatherineS
    So who is doing anything new or different if your public religious activities have been curtailed? Are you singing at home? Adding new devotions or prayers to your routine? Changing your Lenten penances?

I'm surprised that I haven't really changed much. I read some hours of the Office. I sing a bit of chant and baroque music. I try to do proper music practice (vocal exercises and all) at least three days a week so as not to lose technique. I pray the rosary. A friend who is very fond of St. Joseph is sending me meditations and I'm reading those. I've still been going to Sunday Mass, but not sure how long that will continue. I am making sure to keep up to date on Confession for as long as that is available. I stopped taking Communion when they required Communion in the hand, which I can't bear to do.

Lent wise we stopped eating out, and aren't eating any meat, but otherwise that hasn't changed much. I am trying to keep my husband cheered by making interesting salads, snacks and soups, now that he is working from home all day long.

What about you?
  • TCJ
    I will be spending a lot of time at the church practicing the organ.

I will also be making frequent visits to the pray in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

On Fridays, I will take my family to pray the Stations of the Cross.

I will have the choir practice using recordings in the hopes that some sanity will return and we may have Mass for Holy Week and Easter.
  • CharlesW
    No masses and no rehearsals. I am glad I started the Holy Week and Easter music much earlier than usual this year. Given a few days notice, I think we could pull it off.

Practicing organ at home since I need to have all that music ready to play just in case.

Stations may or may not happen. I'm waiting for notification from the rectory.

Still working half days in the government agency from which I retired. Many are working from home but running a library is not a distance task.

Prayer time, although something can come up and shorten that.
  • Office Hours
    Lectio divina
    Rosary

Every day. Maybe this will be a habit that will continue when "normal" returns.
  • Lorica of St Patrick
    Prayers in time of Pestilence (as Francis Koerber suggested)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Plenty of solo singing, novels (Camus' La peste was the first thing I read of his; rereading is a little like meeting my 12-year-old self) and home cooking. Library closing is a catastrophe I associate with each late December and have survived before. The Berkeley Public Library was extremely crowded its last day and the downside of living among likeminded folk is that the Wagner DVD shelf was already bare.
  • CatherineS
    Definitely cooking at home more!
  • Learning Dupré's Prelude and Fugue in B Major in my spare time (painful process...) and baking bread. Masses over here are cancelled. Trying to pray Rosary and Vespers each day.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    No public Masses, no public Stations, no public Liturgy of the Hours, no Bible study, no public weddings, no public funerals, no public baptisms. The way things are going, we may have to cancel our Multicultural Festival due to lack of time to prepare (happens last weekend of April/first weekend of May)
  • SalieriSalieri
    All Masses, etc. are cancelled; and, of course, the college that I work for is kaput for the semester, too, so lots of free time.

Litany of Ss, Divine Office and/or Officium Parvum BVM, daily.

I've decided to listen to/watch a different Opera or Oratorio every day: Monday: Bach, Motet, Jesu meine Freude, w/Herreweghe (I know, only a motet, but life ended up being busier, weirder, than anticipated); Tuesday: Bach, Johannes-Passion, w/Netherlands Bach Society; Today: Monteverdi, L'Orfeo, w/Jordi Savall. Tomorrow, I'm hoping for Britten, Peter Grimes, w/Colin Davis. Also on the list are Beethoven, Christus am olberge and Mozart, Davide Penitente---but it's not all serious, I have The Mikado and Offenbach's Orphee aux enfers on my list, too.
  • tomjaw
    No change at the moment but we lose our public Mass on Friday Night, although the SSPX is continuing! so may go there!
  • TCJ
    I intend on heading to the SSPX as well.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    It’s my birthday. I think the Society chapel in Chi town is having high mass but not sure.

In the meantime I’ve had a lot of time for organ practice, reading R.L. Stevenson, drinking beer, and finally fulfilling my dream of watching Star Trek TNG. But Lordy Lordy - I miss sung liturgy.
  • College classes online for the rest of the semester, counterbalanced with CS Lewis, Lewis Carroll, HG Wells, and other reading TBD. Studying organ improvisation books and simple repertoire. MUCH more time for the Divine Office these days (Deo Gratias). All in all, making the best of an odd situation. :)
  • Happy birthday, Stimson!

Choir practices cancelled until further notice. Our Holy Week / Triduum, if we have them, may be Low Masses.
    I’m sending the singers a series of new pieces to work on, for when we meet again (it IS Lent, after all)

I have the daily Masses on live stream, Deo gratias; am finally getting into Dante and Chesterton.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Out shopping today as soon as I heard the farmers' market was still on. Car traffic was normal in volume but extraordinarily courteous: everybody pulled off for an ambulance. Plenty of waving and smiles, and the brisk takeout business at restaurants takes some of the sting out of wondering where the waiters who know me by name might be in a few months.

The supermarkets are starting to get restocked from the panic buyers: I finally scored on milk and rice, and in the next line the checker lowered her voice to tell a tearful woman "I think I know where I can get you one roll". (The rest of us are, I trust, already well stocked with GIA/OCP perusal materials.) After some ticketing at Berkeley's parks, it's been explained that it was all only a misunderstanding and birding and hiking are back on the menu.

The reminders of the 'old normal' - the village libertarian on Nextdoor telling everyone to get guns for the coming war of the "ants and grasshoppers", the National Enquirer at the checkout ("Cure found!"), and the blathering of the commander in chief - make one more grateful than ever for a civil society.

• Meanwhile, Richard, the Governor is, effectively, locking the state's barn doors, now that the fire and the terrified horses are safely inside. On the other side of the country, Governor Cuomo believes that there's no reason to quarantine NYC, so living humans report to me -- i.e., not click bait sites. My niece is in NYC, and we've heard from her mother.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • vansensei
    Not a damn thing, as the SSPX is still open. In fact, we had a Sung Mass for the feast of St. Joseph yesterday. Academically, music classes are kaput.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Can't quite follow your metaphors anymore, Chris, sorry about that. The NY Times is offering free access to CV19 reporting, so I'm not depending on a chat forum for info and the Cuomo/de Blasio impasse isn't exactly news to me.

The issue has spawned a semantic debate: The governor has said he supports the framework of a shelter-in-place order in California’s Bay Area, which still allows people to exercise and go out to buy groceries or medicine, but he rejects the term itself. “‘Shelter in place’ is a scary term for people …"
  • CharlesW
    I was at the supermarket yesterday. The paper products and the bread aisles are still empty. Other than that, there is no real shortage of basic foods. Traffic isn't bad so folks are pretty much staying home except for emergency outings.

It is going to be strange to be at home Sunday. I haven't missed playing for Sunday mass since 2007. I will get out the Reader's Service.
  • Richard, and others,

locking the state's barn doors, now that the fire and the terrified horses are safely inside.

Governor Newsom has done everything to declare our state a "sanctuary" state, mostly with an eye to Mexico. One wonders what else he hasn't been preventing from entering, given that CA, WA and NYC have the highest infection rates in the country.

Nevertheless, now that the infection is here, instead of working diligently to isolate the sick from the general population, he is mandating a "Shelter in Place" order throughout the entire state, so that panic is setting in when the store shelves were already quite empty enough to look like East Berlin or Venezuela. Shops are trying to hire short-term help to restock the shelves, because they can't, otherwise, keep up with panic buying, which is already being regulated by rationing.

On the other hand, so many people locally are exempt from the Shelter in Place order that.... it's really more a show piece than anything else, unless you work in the restaurant business, the movie theatre business, the sports' business, or .... religion.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Carol
    Speaking of movie theaters, which are mandated to be closed in NY, I saw a sign outside our local movie theater. It said," Discount popcorn and candy TO GO." I don't even buy these when I go to the movies, which is hardly ever.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Insinuating (without offering a shred of evidence) that the virus arrived from Mexico is not responsible either. What should we expect from you next, a 'counterattack' on Jews?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard,

Don't put words into my mouth. I'm not insinuating anything at all about Mexico or the Mexicans. I'm critiquing Governor Newsom's general approach to everything.
  • CatherineS
    So yesterday was the first time I ever assisted at Mass via livestream. Pros: indulgenced; no distractions. It made me realize how distracted I've usually been when in a real church!! Guilty pro: I can now assist at any Mass, choosing according to my love of beauty and reverence. Which takes away the whole 'Mass as penance' thing I've been accustomed to. Nice pro: I can assist at a beautiful, prayerful Mass any time now, since there are tons of livestreams. Con: I'm wary of the internet as vehicle for ritual, and was never a fan of livestreaming Masses before this crisis. But I'll leave it in God's hands and see where things go.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    If I erred in reading racist dog whistling into your previous remarks, I'm relieved and offer an apology. If your issue with the governor is that had he not taken the same measures as the rest of Christendom and instead waited on the federal government's initiative, the bishops might be allowing you to stand in a communion line tomorrow, that's something that can be debated civilly, however dubious I find it myself. What can be accomplished though by announcing one's intention of flouting emergency laws? Mass civil disobedience isn't likely to loosen the rules, quite the contrary. And unless you've been tested yourself, who are you to say who should be quarantined?
  • At Bishop Lopes's bidding all masses, evensongs, meetings of any kind at Walsingham and throughout the Ordinariate have been cancelled. So -

LIke Salieri, I am doing more than usual listening which includes extensive renaissance polychoral music of Gabrieli, Schutz, Monteverdi, Hassler, and others (this is one of my favourite genres - there is no other music as fitting for solemnities), Beethoven ninth, Mozart symphonies and sonatas, Brahms's and Mozart's requiems, Brahms's D-minor piano concerto, Bach passions, Schutz's Seven Last Words, Tallis Lamentations, Victoria Responsories, Couperin Lecons de tenebres, etc. I'm also practicing my piano for four or five hours a day (Bach through Schubert), and composing the complete propers for the solemnity of Christ the King (in Old Church English) in the style of Lassus's motets for two equal voices, and finally writing letters that I have been putting off from of old, and some calligraphy.
    Thanked by 3Elmar Drake CHGiffen
  • CatherineS
    Calligraphy is on my 'do more of this' list. My mom was a very good calligrapher and gave me half her pens. But I'm very much a clumsy beginner. Anyone else do other arts or crafts besides music?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Elmar
    Rehearsals are cancelled as well al public masses, except on 'simple' weekdays - for as long as it lasts.
    Churches are open for silent adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, people have to sit/kneel at a distance, maximum attendence 100 (which we rarely have at normal Sunday mass) and no more than 1/4 of the seating capacity. This morning we were about 15.

Funerals are restricted by state regulation to a maximum of 30.
    Initially there was a further restriction on who to admit - that one was lifted within less than 24h by the state (but not our bishop, aarrrrgggh) and to be "sober" ... which in my view - and also of the bishop next-door - would mean 'no party' and therefore cover anything traditional catholic, while for our bishop that implies 'max. 20 minutes, no music whatsoever, "of course" (!!!) no mass' ...
    In spite of all this, I had the opportunity last Friday to direct our choir at the funeral of the father of one of our singers (in the diocese 'next door', for the record). Eight selected singers separated at a 5-feet distance, placed opposite to the relatives of the deceased - choir loft too small for the spacing - 45 min. service (no mass, as wasn't planned anyways) and all professionally recorded on video by the undertaker for other relatives and friends.
    Very serene, and everyone I spoke, including the priest (again at 5 feet distance) agreed that had to be happy not to live five miles north ...
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • >> Anyone else do other arts or crafts besides music?<<<br />
    I’m making a lot of rosaries, & plan to work on some holy cards
  • Richard,

Apology accepted.

I don't want this post to turn into a diatribe, so I'm going to limit myself to specific points of clarification.

What I find troubling is that the present governor got promoted (twice!) after he decided to redefine marriage and break the law (when he was mayor of San Francisco), rather than being punished by being sent to jail for the same behavior. He claims there's no danger in anything which suits his agenda, but somehow sees urgent cause (whether there is or not) because it fits his agenda. Sufficient numbers of my fellow residents of California rewarded him, not once, but twice. Now, all of a sudden, there's some danger? This isn't the basis on which to establish authority or urge compliance. It's a necessary component in destroying respect for authority.

On the subject of the Mexican border, the Mexican people in my immediate circle of friends and acquaintances don't like being pigeonholed with the sentence that begins "All Mexicans....."

Like Jared and Catherine and Corinne (and others, probably) I'm not opposed to prudent measures to prevent transmission, and I don't see how closing our churches and preventing the public exercise of our religion is going to help bring a speedy end to the wretched nuisance.

Nisi Dominus aedificaverit domum.....
  • For those of us who are doing lots of extra listening here is a recommendation for any who would like a grandiose treat - Tallis's Spem as sung by 700 people with remarkably good clarity and intonation -

Just google Spem Manchester Youtube.

One cannot hear Spem without thinking of it as 'the voice of many waters' spoken of in the Revelation.
  • I just spent two and a half hours meditating on the penitential psalms with the wondrous help of Lassus's Psalmi Dividis Poenitentialis as sung by Phillip Hereweghe's group Collegium Vocale Gent. You'll not find a more heart (and mind)-rending act of penitence! Recommended highly!
    Thanked by 2CatherineS CHGiffen
  • Carol
    How about getting up at 6 am to go grocery shopping since I qualify for senior hours. Bought last box of old-fashioned oatmeal and zero packages of ground beef and chicken because there weren't any left. I wonder what I will make with chicken Italian sausage?
    That is certainly different for me!
  • Carol,

You illustrate perfectly what the real crisis is, here. Sure, there are sick people, but compared to the spread of panic, COVID 19 is like truth compared to lies. May the panic soon be behind us, and may we come out of it stronger in our faith.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • tomjaw
    Well if you allow 24 hour news to continue to spread fear and panic, this is what you get.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I recommend reading (again) the message from Cdl. Burke which @francis helpfully posted in another thread particularly the first three paragraphs. This is serious, not an excuse for skipping work and visiting tourist traps, which many, too many, in England did at the weekend.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Hawkins,

I'm not denying that there is a virus, nor that we should take prudent measures to avoid transmitting it. Nevertheless, the real problems include this disease prevention as 3rd on the list.

• CatherineS
    I haven't done so much housework in years. On the fourth load of laundry and slowly rearranging the house to better suit us being indoors so much. Making fun childhood foods like grilled cheese. And repotting lots of plants.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    At our parish, only those who are official employees (which includes our sacred music scholarship recipient) are allowed to participate at Mass, thus keeping it "private," during the live-streaming process. Therefore, only our organist, DoM, our Hispanic organist/cantor, and the college scholarship recipient can serve as musicians for Sunday Masses.
    Yesterday, there was an 8am NO (VP instead of AO, which seems crazy to me), 9:30 Spanish, 11am TLM.

As for personally, well, I have 4 small children, and we homeschool. The hubby is working full time at home, now (yay) - but that doesn't really make time or space for anything suddenly having time to be done. We have much more to pray for, though.
  • Carol
    I took groceries out to my 93 year old mother and my dear bachelor brother who cares for her. I stood on the opposite side of the room and yelled loudly so my mother could hear me. She complained that she couldn't see me so I got down on my knees and stuck my face under a bright lamp and she was very happy, claiming she could see my smile. There are 100 cases in my county and one death so far.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CatherineS
  • CatherineS
    Our apartment building has a large public area below with playground, etc. where adults also go to walk, sit or chat. Now that we are all on 'please stay home', the older adults who used to go to the gym or walk out on the street, along the beach, are doing laps around this area. I've ended up on the same schedule as a lovely lady from the third floor who is quite terrified by the whole situation - she has multiple disease conditions which would predispose her to a more severe illness. I've been keeping her company on her laps, staying three meters apart for good measure. I feel for the people who live alone and now cannot really get out to their customary routine; and for those who are quite afraid to be sick or to possibly die. The kids in the buildings (all 5 and under) are mostly just happy to be 'on vacation' and spend most of each day racing madly around the area on scooters and tricycles. Their all-day-long playful shrieking and laughing is cheering.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • chonakchonak
    Can people please get back to the original question: what are readers doing differently in the current state of affairs?

I'm deleting talk about politicians; it's not about the topic of the thread.

• We're managing the prayer in time of pestilence and the Stella Caeli, committed until the end of the current wretched nuisance.

• I must pass this along to the readership, even at the risk of being off topic.

A missionary priest of my personal acquaintance, temporarily taken out of Africa for an operation, is striving to get back to his mission (in Africa) just as the airports begin to close. He is stuck (so far... read on) in a different African country, unable to make progress until he prays for the intercession of the Holy Souls in Purgatory. He offers them 30 Masses for their help getting to the U.S., until he could go back to his mission. If I understand the details, he was able to find the last seat on the last flight states-side, with the material, visible help of a complete stranger. He credits the intercession of the Holy Souls. His African mission is being tended by a different missionary priest, and he is here in the U.S., "until the borders open", as he puts it.

Perhaps one thing we ought to be doing, is praying for the Holy Souls?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    And pray each day for a holy, happy and provided-for death for those who are dying, who have lost the will to live, and who will die in the coming days. And for God to shower those who provide care to them with an abundance of good health, wisdom, compassion, comfort and strength.
  • francis
    Pray the rosary EVERY DAY if possible, offer the souls on the first Pater Noster along with all your intentions... and at the conclusion pray of your rosary, pray:

V/ May the Divine Assistance be Always WIth Us
    R/ And May the Souls of the Faithful Departed Through the Mercy of God Rest in Peace. Amen.
  • I have been rationing medication because there is nowhere to earn a living right now. I don’t usually do that but what else are you going to do when the bishop and pastor closes the church, says we’ll be in touch, and then does NOTHING to communicate with employees. Most likely the pastor and bishop will not pay out our schedules and still expect a government bailout. They still have a few days to decide.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • chonakchonak
    In some states, being unemployed may qualify you for free health insurance, even if you don't get unemployment compensation; so it may be worthwhile to look into that.
  • I'm insured (not by the church - they apparently could care less) but the co-pay on 7 different medications plus they want me to add another.
  • Lo and behold not only are they not paying us during the pandemic furlough, they are not paying us for the work we did in March before the Bishop closed shop.
    Does Catholic Charities still offer representation pro bono?