Copyrights (Recording)
  • tomsavoy
    Could I trouble our membership for a few copyright questions? I have been doing due diligence but responses are slow in coming (if not at all) from publishers. Maddening.

1. Can one make a for-profit recording of a piece that holds a "Creative Commons Attrribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Unported 3.0 License" without paying royalties? I ask on behalf of a recording project with my seminarians.

2. Are pieces from the old Secunda Anthologia Vocalis (c. 1922) in the public domain and eligible for recording

3. Would anyone know if the Tantum Ergo of Jean-René Quignard is in the public domain and eligible for recording?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • a_f_hawkins
    THIS PAGE IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. CREATIVE COMMONS DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE OR REPRESENTATION. CONSULT YOUR OWN LEGAL COUNSEL FOR LEGAL ADVICE.
    Creative Commons NC licenses expressly define NonCommercial as “not primarily intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation.” [2] The inclusion of “primarily” in the definition recognizes that no activity is completely disconnected from commercial activity; it is only the primary purpose of the reuse that needs to be considered.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    In the United States, anything published before 1923 is in the public domain.
  • Liam
    That year has now moved to 1925 (that is, 1924 and earlier) and will continue to move annually as the 95 year rule does its magic - next January, The Great Gatsby becomes public domain.

https://copyright.cornell.edu/publicdomain

Thanked by 1irishtenor