Compline during Lent
  • jefe
    Now in our 11th year of a monthly, and sometimes bi-monthly Compline, the Trinity Compline Choirs are in the 3rd year of providing Compline on five Sunday evenings during Lent. Lent is the very best season to offer Compline. Why is that? Introspection. The examination of conscience. Penitence. The mystical level of self examination that Compline provides is a shoe in for followers of Christ. Below is our flyer with 110 candles alight announcing the series. The 12 men of the Compline Choir (countertenors, tenors, baritones, and basses) will kick off the series with the program below.
    jefe
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Viola
  • jefe
    The mp3 recording of our initial Lenten Compline is in and can be downloaded from my dropbox at https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojx7dhbgc9azuq2/20200301.mp3
    During the Corno V scare, and at the height of flu season, 3 of our members ( 1 bass; 2 baritones) had symptoms or became indisposed and bailed at the last minute even after doing the Friday evening rehearsal on this one leaving only 9 singers. It came out well anyway. I told the basses and baritones that were left to sing like tenors using lots of head voice. Unfortunately, one of our usually bullet proof countertenors's cords were clogged up with allergies and he had a rough night. With more or less two on a part, this becomes a problem. None of you have ever faced these problems, I'm sure. 8>} jefe
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • ViolaViola
    A problem we had on one occasion with candlelit Compline, and which I warn against, was that the lighting was way too dim and our basses couldn't see their music. The result was....interesting.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW jefe
  • CharlesW
    Viola, we have that problem with most of those evening services. With the flu epidemic raging, I am already short on singers.

We don't have Compline during Lent, we just have Complain.
    Thanked by 2jefe Viola
  • jefe
    Charles and Bratsche (aka: 3rd violin), Not a problem with lighting. Singing from the rear loft, each singer uses a Manhasset music stand for the scores with each stand having a pair of those two-headed LED clip lights. Since everything is a cappella, there are no strings attached. Lent 2 Compline is tomorrow, Sunday the 8th.
    jefe