Stabat Mater Dolorosa - Composition
  • Drake
    In a way, this isn't a new composition. I actually wrote it back in 1999, as my first semi-successful attempt at a sacred hymn setting, and as such, it has some voice leading flaws. However, I recently ran across a live recording of it from a Mass at our parish in 2013, so I thought I would share this. Of my compositions, this is probably the one sung most frequently. Even the children's choirs have sung it (at least the melody). I'm releasing it under Creative Commons. Please feel free to use it if you find it pleasing and good for your group. It's just a half-pager.

PDF, digital rendering, and also the link to the live recording are available at the following blog post (the live recording is certainly better than the computer-rendered):

http://www.catholicliving.net/stabat-mater-dolorosa-drake/

At this point, I'm not really looking to change the setting. True, I could correct some of the voice leading issues, but I'm inclined to keep them, since this is how the piece has always been sung to date. I hope the setting may be useful to someone.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's no surprise that this has been sung frequently. Its youthful freshness more than offsets any voice leading and others flaws. Thanks for releasing it under CC ... would you be interested in publishing/posting it at CPDL? If so, I'd be glad to help.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    @CHGiffen, that is very kind of you. Actually, I would like very much to put this and my other compositions on CPDL. I'd be grateful for your assistance.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Drake
    I have submitted my information to request a CPDL account. Once approved, I think I'll be able to add the scores.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I just got a notice about your CPDL account request, approved it, and created your account. Welcome aboard!!
    Thanked by 3Drake tomjaw CCooze