ASH WEDNESDAY AT -
  • The Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham -
    Houston

Solemn High Mass -
    6.30pm

At the Procession - The Introit: Miserere omnium - - - Tone VII (Anglican Use Gradual)

Psalm LI - Miserere mei, Domine - - - Chant, Walter Ernest Smith
    The Tract - Domine, non secundum - - - Tone VIII (AUG)

At the Distribution of Ashes - Psalm LI: Miserere mei, Domine - - - Gregori Allegri

At the Offertory -
    The Antiphon - Exaltabo te, Domine - - - Tone II (AUG)
    Anthem - 'Wash Me Throughly' - - - Samuel Sebastian Wesley

Sanctus-Benedictius - Mass in A-minor - - - Claudio Casciolini
    The Our Father - - - Mode VII
    Agnus Dei - Mass in A-minor - - - Claudio Casciolini

At the Communion -
    The Trisagion - - - Alexander Andreyevich Arkhangelski
    The Antiphon - Qui meditabitur - - - Tone I (AUG)
    Anthem - 'Call to Remembrance' - - - Richard Farrant
    Hymn - 'Kind Maker of the World, We Pray' - - - Jesu dulcis memoria

At the Dismissal - Hymn: 'Forty Days and Forty Nights' - - - Heinlein

No organ voluntaries.
    Organ only for the Wesley, and 8, or 8 & 4 for hymns.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    St. David of Wales, Richmond California

A few years ago our Holy Day evenings got moved earlier and warmup space became scarce; this evening the choir rehearsed outdoors in the sunset and did itself credit, the moving of the imposition to the closing hymn slot being yet another surprise. No organ of course.

Entrance Attende Domine with verses in English alternating with Spanish
    Responsorial Miserere mei Deus (arr. Mix, alternating languages)
    Off. Exaltabo te in Burgess & Palmer version
    Sanctus & Agnus Missa Orbis Factor
    Comm. Qui meditabitur (American Gradual)
    Inter vestibulum Morales, plus filling in from other B&P chants.
  • Location: (I'm traveling) a stunning baroque church with a real organ, in a Brazilian city I won't name to spare the guilty
    Music: terrible sappy modern and gospel-pop hymns crooned by the organist, accompanying himself.

Lent gets off to a most penitential start. Lord, have mercy.
  • St. Mary's, Tampa

Introit: Kathy Pluth's adaptation of Miserere omnium set to Jesu Dulcis Memoria
    Psalm 51: Craig/Gelineau
    Imposition of Ashes: "Merciful God" (Alonso)
    Offertory: "Out of the Depths" (Schalk) at solemn Mass, "Our Father, We Have Wandered" at others
    Sanctus: Roman Missal chant
    Mysterium: Roman Missal chant - Save us, Savior
    Amen: Danish
    Agnus Dei: XVIII
    Communion: Weber Qui meditabitor, "With the Lord There Is Mercy" (Joncas), and "Attende Domine"
    Recessional: "O Sun of Justice"
  • Carol
    Went to Mass at a nursing home to be with a family member. While Mass was going on someone was playing "I'm in the Mood for Love" (I swear it's true!) on a piano in the lobby. No music in the chapel, but I was struck by the reverence of those of sound mind and by the single mindedness of the celebrant to pray the Mass in spite of the many distractions. Being able to make the Sign of the Cross and being able to pray at Mass are some of the last glimmers of sanity for many of the residents. It was a sad but humbling way to start Lent. It also makes the idea of being dust and returning to dust quite apparent.
  • St. Sebastian, Akron, 5PM TLM
    Gregorian Propers (Psalm-toned Gradual and Tract)
    Mass XVIII (minus the Kyrie; I was trying to get a pitch from my pipe to start it, and Father went on)
    Offertory motet: Audi benigne conditor (chant) with amen in fauxbourdon (which sounded a bit vainglorious in context, given that it was the only polyphony in the whole service)
    Communion: Qui meditabitor with verses. Still lots of communicants, so I had them read Attende Domine...not sure I would have if I'd remembered those 2 consecutive 4ths, but after the first several refrains, they were fine.
    Recessional: 40 Days and 40 Nights (HEINLEIN), played by, gulp, me (organist had to play his other job, so we did without, which was fine.)
  • Because Wednesday is my "half-hour voice lesson + two choir rehearsals" day, I was in the congregation this Ash Wednesday.

But:

Full Gregorian propers
    Parce, Domine
    O Sacred Head Surrounded
    Mass XVIII
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    St. Paul, Akron, 7PM

Entrance: Lenten entrance rite "Your Mercy Lord is Great", (A.J. Hommerding)
    Kyrie: ICEL chant from Ignatius Pew Missal (IPM)
    Resp: "Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned" (Bruce Ford)
    Gospel Acc: "Praise to You Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless Glory" from IPM, "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts"
    Dist. of Ashes: Gather #469, "Remember you are dust"
    Off: choral anthem - "O God You Know Us Through and Through" (R. Sensmeier) GIA Publ.
    ICEL Chants for "Holy, Holy", "Mem. Accl", "Great Amen", and "Lamb of God", the Lord's Prayer was chanted.
    Comm: St. Meinrad "We ponder your law, O Lord, and your Law is my delight"
    Resc: Solemn (no music, exit quietly)

• We manage two Low Masses on Ash Wednesday, and have for several years.
  • CharlesSA
    St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, Westwood KS (FSSP Kansas City), 7pm

Ashes were already blessed in the morning. Began with distribution and sang the chants Immutemur, Juxta Vestibulum, and the responsory Emmendemus as found in the Liber.

Full Gregorian Propers. Mass XVIII.

Offertory Motet: Exaltabo Te Domine (Croce)

Communion Motet: Inter Vestibulum (Perti)

Closing hymn (a cappella): God of Mercy and Compassion

I don't enjoy/appreciate hymns (that is, vernacular non-chant hymns) as much as I could or even should, but I find this hymn, which I first heard via the Gower nuns' Lent/Passiontide CD, to be very beautiful and moving.

Chris: Two Low/Latin Masses is wonderful...but that is too bad that you miss out on one of the best tracts - Domine, non Secundum. In my time at the monastery it was beautiful to chant it 2-3 times a week throughout the whole of Lent, as it is used on all M-W-F except Ember Wednesday, Wednesday of Holy Week, and of course Good Friday.