Does any body know what parish this church is in the video?
  • Does any body know what parish this church is in the video?

https://youtu.be/WCDoUkbjC6A
  • This is a recording of the CMAA Sacred Music Colloquium of 2009, the opening Mass on Tuesday, June 23 (with Jeffrey Tucker in the choir! – is he still involved in promoting sacred music?). Pre improved translation times... The church is the Madonna Della Strada Chapel, Loyola University, Chicago.

Fixed link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDoUkbjC6A

See also the full recordings of this colloquium and the accompanying music packet. This particular entrance chant by Fr. Samuel Weber is found on p. 18 of the packet.
  • That looks like an all-star lineup in the video!
  • Thank you so much! And for the video links. I stumbled upon it looking up different introits of Fr. Weber's and was awestruck by the beauty of this church. It is so sleek and modern but has that deep timelessness art and architecture. That church building should be a model for modern day churches. I hope one day to attend. Thank you again!
  • It reminds me to how important it is to have sacredness in all elements of the mass. From the beauty of the music to the art and structure of the building, to the vestments and the conduct of the priests and ministers. The laity follow suit and know they are stepping into the sacred.

Once, we attended the Good Friday service at a local convent. My youngest brother 4 at the time was peaceful and silent, a rare event during church, but he too felt the solemnity of the event which kept him truly peaceful. And I've noticed that with other churches as well, when the sacredness is present even the children respond deeply.
  • That looks like an all-star lineup in the video!

Indeed. I saw Wilko Brouwers too. I'll join him in three weeks time for a masterclass in Gregorian chant.
  • Madonna della Strada Chapel is our neighbor down the street here in Chicago. I love hearing its bells, especially for the Angelus at noon and 6, and even as late as 10:30 pm on a Wednesday night at the end of the Taize service. It's a stunning Art Deco treasure. I especially love the stylized symbols of the four evangelists on the lakeshore facade...I'm partial to the winged ox for St. Luke (my birthday). Some day I'll jump at any chance for a tour of the Art Deco crypt chapels. I should get over there more often!
    Here's a great site with historical information and a good virtual tour.
  • Kathy
    I think this was the year I went outside during Mass to cough, and a maintenance man walked out of the chapel totally blown away by the beauty of the music.

He contrasted it with what they sing at his own parish.

Liturgical art is *popular* art, for the people, elevating us all on every human level.
  • davido
    The original decoration of this church was so beautiful! Why did they ruin it...
    Even the 21st century renovation looks minimalist compared to that pic of the original decorations.