Lumen ad revelationem • Chant (modern notation)
  • Greetings all,
    Just wanted to share this in case it would be helpful to anyone.
    Thanks,
    James

EDIT: the typo has been corrected.
  • This is a beautifully engraved edition -- thank you for sharing it!
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • CGM
    Agreed: beautiful typesetting.

Correction: typo in the second verse — should be "viderunt" instead of "videerunt"
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here in Visconsin, many of the locals of scandanavian descent can be heard on a late November day: "This veekend is ven videerunt."
  • I noticed that mistake during choir rehearsal last night. I’ll post a corrected version when I’m back at my work computer Friday.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Alright- the original file has been corrected.
  • CGM
    Hm: another typo: "dimittis" in verse one is spelled with only one "t".
  • ah! thanks.
    Also fixed. sigh. Can you tell I churned through this quickly? lol
  • Crowdsourced proofreading is the best proofreading.
  • Liam
    To be creator, typist and editor in one is a fool's errand.
  • Thanks so much for preparing this!

It's a bit of a tangent, but may I ask how you like Dorico 3 for typesetting chant? How user-friendly do you find it?
  • dad29
    Not actually on topic: Mannheim Steamroller uses the "Lumen" incipit on one of his Christmas albums.
  • Fugalicious,
    I LOVE Dorico. I find that I can make very lovely transcriptions of chant as evidenced above. Part of the reason that Dorico is so great is because it has native support for unrestricted open meter. It's very easy to input chant, adjust note spacing to taste, and then just plunk barlines where you want them. As of yet, there is no support for square note notation, but for the people in the pews at my N.O. church there's no need for that anyway. Modern transcriptions work all the better. One trick that I use (which is in the PDF above) is to add dummy measures when the music doesn't stretch all the way across the bar, so that the barline will be in the right place but the staff lines continue to the margin. This gives the proper look and spacing which is really nice. Stemless notes are supported natively; you just input all the notes regular, filter them and then hit a little setting toggle and all the stems are gone in 1 second. All told, I'll never revert back to any other program, I love Dorico that much. I've used F & S and none of them can draw me back.

Another nice thing that I've mentioned elsewhere: you can have multiple "movements" (so-called "flows") in one file so when you export everything, it is all perfectly matched together with the same settings. You can prepare a whole Mass/Service in one file and export all at once.
    Thanked by 1marymezzo
  • I do this type of work for our parish regularly. I generate all the musical excerpts in the same Dorico file and then export them as SVGs (vector image files) and then drage them into affinity publisher to finish the rest. Although, in truth, you could do this entire worship aid natively in Dorico if you were determined enough (which I have done in the past); I simply find that using a dedicated publishing software can speed up the typography aspects of these projects.

I'm also attaching the Ordinary aid that I created this year. We had them printed and laminated by a local print shop and kept them in the pews for all of Advent (will do the same for Lent but with Ave Regina Cælorum). As you can see, Dorico can really create some beautiful scores especially if you put in a little effort to go the extra mile by hand.
  • Serviam, these are just gorgeous. Thanks.
  • Thanks! I nerd out on engraving a little bit... (I believe that we should still be producing beautiful liturgical/religious books just like the old days!)
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3