Responsorial Psalm for Wedding : How Good is the Lord to All (???)
  • francis
    Never seen this before as a choice for Wedding Responsorial Psalm... does anyone know where it comes from?
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • a_f_hawkins
    It seems to be on the USCCB list
    There are 7 options for the Responsorial Psalm at a Nuptial Mass. We encourage you to spend time in prayer with your fiancé/e to choose the psalm which best speaks to your hopes and dreams for your Christian marriage.

The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord (Psalm 33)
    I will bless the Lord at all times (Psalm 34)
    The Lord is kind and merciful (Psalm 103)
    Blessed the man who greatly delights in the Lord’s commands (Psalm 112)
    Blessed are those who fear the Lord (Psalm 128)
    How good is the Lord to all (Psalm 145)
    Let all praise the name of the Lord (Psalm 148)
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • rich_enough
    This is a new translation of the response to psalm 145; the previous version ran "The Lord is compassionate to all his creatures" (later "works").
  • GambaGamba
    Here is a setting of Psalm 145 I've just written, with the refrain "How good is the Lord to all", as it appears on the USCCB site, with Revised Grail text. Verses written out to tone 8; simple refrain.

It was occasioned by a couple who went ahead and printed several hundred copies of their program, and then asked for permission/proofreading. Mercifully, this was the only minor issue, and now maybe some of you might find this useful in a similar situation.

• @Gamba, I've used your Psalm refrain melody as the basis for an arrangement I just created for use at an upcoming wedding. I hope this is ok :-) I credited the antiphon melody as "PJF" since that is on your score.

Here it is in case you'd like to see it, or in case it is helpful to anyone else!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Chrism
  • GambaGamba
    Sydney, I’m flattered; nicely engraved!

Two very small things for future users.
    1) The psalm tone (8G) is not the work of WLP; it is an old-as-time psalm tone, but I think you’ve put in the WLP harmony underneath, which is certainly functional, but may be a breach of copyright.

2) I harmonized the refrain as follows, assuming do is A-flat as in your transcription:

Eb.................... Eb/Db..Ab/C.........Db/Bb...Eb7
    (gathering tone) How good is the Lord to all.

To each their own, but I’ve never met a 7th chord I haven’t liked, and find moving the bass under important words keeps the people moving in my echo chamber of a church.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • I'm so glad you approve, thanks! I like your suggestion of the moving bass, I think I may incorporate that into a revised version :-)

Yes, I "borrowed" the WLP harmony here...I do this regularly when I arrange things for our parish since we own WLP books that include "blank" psalm tones which I assume are meant to be used for such purposes. That is a good point to note for anyone else who may wish to use my arrangement (or for myself/our parish in general, in case my use of the harmonizations is not exactly legal). Do you know of any good sources for public domain harmonizations of the Gregorian psalm tones? I do not usually have the time or creativity to write my own.
  • I just stumbled across this discussion. In answer to the question for public domain harmonizations of the Gregorian psalm tones: if one looks at the Nova Organi Harmonia, Volume 1 (the Propers), the Introits all have a harmonized psalm tone verse. The entire NOH is here as individual pages: https://www.ccwatershed.org/nova/

You can use http://www.gregorianbooks.com/propers.html to find an Introit in the psalm tone you want, then use the CCW link to the NOH to find the Introit by incipit. For instance, the Advent I Introit, Ad te levavi, is in tone VIII (https://archive.ccwatershed.org/media/pdfs/16/12/14/15-53-46_0.pdf). Its psalm verse is on the next page (https://archive.ccwatershed.org/media/pdfs/16/12/14/15-54-25_0.pdf).

Or if you want other harmonizations of the Introits, you can look at the various other organ accompaniments to the propers found at ccwatershed.org.

I hope that helps.
    Thanked by 1francis