Missal for the TLM for Kindle... Anyone?
  • francis
    As I am now able to attend the TLM weekly (15 minutes from my house), I would like to get a pdf file that I can follow along with the Mass (on a 3rd Gen Kindle). Does anyone know where on the web it is available (free if possible)?
  • tomjaw
    @Francis

Do you want a booklet missal, similar to the Red booklet. Or do you want a full Latin English Hand Missal with all the propers for the Year? For the former I have a Booklet set with all the texts from the St. Andrew Daily Missal.

Otherwise does this work?
    http://www.divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/missa/missa.pl
  • francis
    Tnx

Yes, full missal, But it would have to be a PDF file since I have an old kindle. Your second link is absolutely perfect. Now to find it in a PDF file?
  • There's a tool that PDFs websites. Let me try to remember what it was called.
  • francis
    Catherine... lol. That is a good one! I await your findings, but there HAS to be a pdf of the missal somewhere out in cyberspace.. don't you think?!
  • You would think someone might have scanned one at some point.

The online tool I'm recalling must have just been for exporting wordpress blogs (which is what I had done at the time). I can't find anything matching my memory in the search results, in any case.
  • toddevoss
    Francis - I apologize since this won't be directly responsive, but I waited to see if someone could turn up a pdf. Not looking like it so far. But you can get the second link provided by tomjaw in a mobile format so you could read it on a phone at mass. But I take it that is not an option.
  • chonakchonak
    Most browsers can "print to file" to generate a PDF version of a web page. That probably won't be very attractive, though.
  • You need the English, right? Because there appear to be (altar?) missals available, and the Liber Usualis, so you could follow the Latin.
  • francis
    Yes I would like to have the English side by side, especially for the proper‘s, the prayers of the priest, and the readings. The problem with the phone is I don’t want to be looking at a phone during mass. I think that would be a large distraction and frankly, uncouth. The Kindle I have uses digital ink, and truly looks like a printed page. Much less intrusive, but technologically challenged. Perhaps I will try setting one of the masses into a PDF file myself. If I do, I will post it here.
  • And you don't want a paper book because?
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • tomjaw
    I have not yet come across a Latin / English hand Missal scanned... But Google may have scanned one of the 1900 versions, although I do wonder what the file size will be. Ideally we would want a pdf of the Angelus or Baronius Missal, they would be small file size.

Although I wonder if it would be easier to output the Divinum Officium to pdf for each day you attend Mass.

Another option would be for me to post on here my new typeset version of the Mass Ordinary section of the St. Andrew Daily Missal, and then use the UVOC Propers sheets. I am in the process of producing a re-typset version of the St. Andrews Missal, but this is a long term project (I currently have over ¾ of the texts mainly as UVOC style Propers sheets) and have done some of the many corrections!
  • chonakchonak
    An attractive PDF Missal with pre-1955 content prepared by the late Holger Peter Sandhofe is available, but only in Latin: http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/romanmissal_classical.pdf

Francis, is there any chance the book Mass and Vespers (1957, Solesmes) might meet your needs?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw francis
  • francis
    Thanks for your suggestions all... I am looking fo something like the extraordinaryform.org has put together, but with the daily propers and readings... doesn't seem to exist...

Why not a book? Because it is heavy (costs some bux) and requires page turning... I pray the rosary during Mass (in one hand) and a straightforward PDF of the day would be wonderful and unobtrusive in the other. I love digital references... here is my digital music system I created for my DoM position years ago. No... paper... needed! Instant access to ALL music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5tCF3vCgQI&list=UURaSJ0CxxJ1LfcF_PDuKgjw&index=3&t=0s
  • francis
    OK. Here is www.divinumofficium.com with a page sent to print as a pdf. I think this is the best option for now. Thanks all. If anyone comes across another solution, I am all ears.
  • francis
    Here is another of the propers printed on A4 with no margins... this seems best. And here is a vid of how it actually looks on the kindle.

This only takes a few seconds... I can create the entire year of Sundays and Feasts with very little time. Thank you all!

http://bizextend.com/transfer/IMG_2635.mp4
    Thanked by 1toddevoss
  • francis
    In a couple of minutes I was able to create all of these...

• At laudatedominum.net/downloads.php you can find "Your Missal for Sundays and Holy Days" which I believe is what you need:
    chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://laudatedominum.net/files/mis.pdf

I have been cutting-and-pasting the side-by-side texts from divinumofficium.org for years to put into my 'complete packet' of music for Missa Cantata, so that my schola can either compile what they need from their existing printed music files, print the whole thing at once, or read from their iPads. This will definitely be easier!
  • Incidentally, my cut-and-paste is into a publishing program called Serif PagePlus, which is now a deprecated program. I have not yet tried its successor, but if it has the same ease of use and simpler learning curve (and much lower price than MS Publisher at $49.99!) I may eventually spring for the updated version (Affinity Publisher).
  • But it uses a SCREEN!!!
  • francis
    Hi @Patricia Cecilia:

Thank you for the link. However, the files I put up include the prayers of the priest, all of which are included in the file from divinumofficium with no additions or revisions at all. It takes me about 5 seconds (literally) to create one of those PDF's from the website, and the type is large for my failing eyes.

If I was to purchase a large print missal, I think it would be very large if there is such a beast.

@BHCordora

Thank you. That is very close to what I was looking for but I was only needing the particular prayers of the day.

Introitus
    Oratio
    Lectio
    Graduale
    Evangelium
    Offertorium
    Secreta
    Prefatio
    Communio
    Postommunio

This is what divinumofficium imposes in the Propers link. I can size the page and the text to fit the Kindle as seen in the video which I made demonstrating the conversion from their website to my Kindle. Yes, this is my Kindle in action.

http://bizextend.com/transfer/IMG_2635.mp4

for my poor eyesight.

@PaxMelodious

The Kindle I have is not a projected screen... it is the technology of digital ink, which is very much like paper. There is no light used in this technology. In fact, you have to have light in the room or you cannot see the screen, just like paper. Also, the only time 'electric' is employed is to flip the orientation of the small spheres that hold the dye. Battery life if immense since the unit is 'off' when you are reading a page. You are looking at dyed spheres... not LED's or backlit screen. You can read about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink

Thank you all again. Thank you @tomjaw for the exact solution.