Merry Christmas
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Wishing one and all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
  • Thank you!
    Same to all of you: May all your music be angelic !
    Oh, and MJO; I drove past the local “package store” and intended you a modest Bottle o Benedictine. That’s about all the budget will bear this year; maybe one day I can give you a real one. Thanks for all you share on this forum.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Nollick ghennal erriu.
    from the Isle of Man on Oei'll Voirrey
    -
    Nollick - from Latin natalica = birthday (ie THE most important birthday)
    ghennal - glad, be glad, ...
    erriu - to you (y'all)
    oei - night
    'll - ¿remaining fragment of feall, feast?
    Voirrey - of Mary
  • Many thanks, Mme!
    An imaginary bottle is, I suppose, better than none at all.
    I'll have to do with Harvey's Bristol cream sherry.
  • Peace, joy, kindness, wonderful music and memories, happiness and love are my prayerful heart felt wishes to everyone and to this world. "Dear Lord and Father of mankind, forgive our foolish way, . . . restore in us a our rightful minds, in deeper reverence praise." Merry Christmas!
  • Merry Christmas!
  • I can see it now.
    Countless flakes of snow, billions of them, falling silently, quietly, from out of the silent, silent sky.
    A damp little path shoveled out of a foot or more of snow, snaking its way to the front walk or the drive way.
    Roof tops and every surface blanketed with soft snow-laden magic.
    Every last twig sheathed within a glaze of ice.
    Icicles hanging from every eve and branch, growing longer and fatter with every freezing drip, drip, drip.
    Every branch heaving under the weight of its lovely burden, that pile of Father Winter's snow.
    And you, inside your cozy little home, your beloved hermitage, enjoying that fairy-tale cocoon of warmth from, perhaps, a fireplace, or, lacking that, artificially generated heat.
    Oh, how blessed all of you are up there where it's actually winter, that blessed sort of 'bleak mid-winter' spoken of in Rosetti's profound little poem - you know: earth standing 'like iron' and 'water like a stone'... and all.
    Think with pity on those of us who were driving around Houston today with the air-conditioner on.
    Merry Christmas!
  • Merry Christmas, y’all!
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    MJO, you’re in Houston? I’m in Nacogdoches, 180 mi. North of you
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • And I’m in Arlington, though I visited my folks in the RGV this year.
  • Carol
    MJO thank you for the poetic description, but a little reality check is in order. Here in the Northeast it hasn't snowed for a few days so the little remnants of snow are dirty and icy not fluffy and pristine. I do recall one year when I was a teenager coming out of church on Christmas Eve and finding the church steps had disappeared under a thick blanket of snow. It was beautiful and magical, but I didn't have to drive or even shovel because I have 6 brothers! Merry Christmas to you all and thank you for sharing your knowledge and encouragement.
  • When I was a child, we didn't dream of a White Christmas, but expect and plan for one. Mind you, that was in upstate New York, not Silicon Valley.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    CGZ when you say upstate do you really mean it or do you mean north of White Plains?
  • I love December 26th! Everything has been done. Music organized for Sunday. Enjoying family, friends, decorations, my southern garden of camellias, and a pleasant quietness. Merry Christmas to all of you. I dearly love this blog and our "conversations" or posts. CF (David Martin)
  • CharlesW
    I haven't seen a white Christmas in a number of years. It was a balmy 60 degrees in East Tennessee today. Merry warm Christmas to all.
  • Carol,

I grew up in the northern suburbs of Buffalo. Westchester County is (supposedly) "upstate", but that's only to show how amusingly out of touch the 5 boroughs are with the rest of the state -- or, at least, this used to be true. I don't know if it still is.

Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    Well, I have utmost respect for anyone who survives Buffalo winters! Especially those who had the smarts to move somewhere else when they had the chance. I live in MetroNorth (NYC commuter railroad) territory and it is gray and bleak here today.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • [Off topic warning]:

I didn't have the "smarts" to move away when I had the chance. I miss Buffalo winters.
    Thanked by 2Carol cesarfranck