Metrical Settings of Gloria
  • Hello all,

I'm looking for a metrical setting of the Gloria in English. We've been using Proulx's Gloria Simplex for about a year now, and while it was quickly learned and retained, the congregation, priests, and cantors tended to drag, defeating the purpose of chant, and making it unbearable.

My default is the Carroll Andrews revised setting, but if anyone has any favorites I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear them!

In general, I tend to be picky about Gloria settings, insisting they be a) through composed and b) have an intuitive, well-composed melody. To this effect, I've experimented with my own setting, but I'm not ready to introduce it to the congregation yet I don't think.

Thanks!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Give this one a try. It's through composed, dignified, and quite singable, whether by SATB choir or with just the melody in unison.
  • I really like the Andrews Gloria.

Others:
    People's Mass- Vermulst
    Pope Paul VI Mass- Connor

There's also a fun setting in the St. Michael Hymnal. I believe it's from Mass of the Emmanuel.
  • Holy Name of Jesus Gloria by Norah Duncan IV (GIA) Through composed, ABA) A flat - f minor - A flat. Mid section can be SATB. The ending has a nice descant.

A tune that is memorable. At a moderate tempo, it has dignity.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    You could try the Mass of St. Francis by Horst Buchholz, which I believe has been posted here on the forum.
  • davido
    I second the Buchholz Mass of St Francis
  • CGM
    Following Charles's lead, I'd also like to recommend a composition of my own — the Gloria from the Missa pro editione tertia.
    — Take listen here,
    — and the score is for sale here.

Hope that you'll find a good setting that will meet your musical needs!
    Thanked by 1GregoryWeber
  • We use the aforementioned Andrews and Duncan IV to great effect. Also recommend Jacob Bancks "Mass of the Most Sacred Heart" and Paul Jernberg "Mass of St Philip Neri."
  • Currently using Andrews to use a sung-through.
    Previously we had sung Mass in A Minor by Strassburger.
    https://litpress.org/Products/3405PB/Mass-in-A-Minor