Sheet Music for sale
  • Hi all,

I'm putting these out on Facebook marketplace, and thought I'd share them here as well. I'm selling the following sets of octavos, all in good condition. If you are interested, then post below and I'll mail them to you. Thanks so much and God bless!

"Genesis Reading for the Great Vigil" - Rory Cooney - 23 CHOIR, 2 LECTOR copies - SATB, Piano, Opt. Guitar, Opt. Flute

"Sing, O Sing" - Dan Schutte - 24 copies - SATB, Descant, Organ, Opt. Trumpets 1 & 2 - General Use

"The Guardian's Farewell" - David Hass -44 copies - SATB, Solo, Piano, Opt. C instrument - All Souls Day

"Carol at the Manger" - Marty Haugen - 12 copies - Unison, Piano, Opt. C Instrument - Christmas time

"Flying Free" - Don Besig - 18 copies - SATB, Piano - General

"Power in the Children" - Dana Blanck and Bill Peterson - 8 copies - Unison, Solo, Piano, opt. Guitar

"Advent Wreath Service" - John Schiavone - 24 copies - SATB, Solo, Organ, Opt. Guitar

"Come to Bethlehem Manger" - Huck/Alonso - 18 copies - SATB, Solo, Piano, Opt. C Instrument, Opt. Guitar

• I'll take the Schutte, Hass, Besig, and Haugen. It's getting chilly out here, and a cozy little fire isn't going to start itself.
  • CharityandTruth,

Welcome to the forum.
    Why are you selling this music?
  • chonakchonak
    Welcome to the forum, CharityAndTruth. To be honest about it, I don't know if there will be a lot of bids for the sheet music here, since we're generally a group that promotes traditional church music with Gregorian chant and choral polyphony as the principal models.

On the other hand, we're musicians involved in parishes, and many of them are just average parishes, so perhaps someone will find some of the works useful.

All the best--
    --chonak (forum admin)
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcome, the question, and the bit of humor. :) I recently got a new job and the choir room is in disarray - I'm slowly weeding through and selling the music which this parish won't use. I know that this this forum has the majority of people who wouldn't find this music useful, but just in case, I thought I'd post it.

Thanks and God bless!
  • GambaGamba
    That ""Genesis Reading..." should go straight in the Easter Vigil fire; it cannot be licitly used in the liturgy, as the text is not from the lectionary, but from the Contemporary English Version, interspersed with singing.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw MarkB
  • JahazaJahaza
    You could sell it to some Lutherans maybe?
  • If you are getting rid of this repertory because you yourself recognise its gross inaptness for liturgy why would you want to put it into the hands of others - others who may or may not be as discriminating and conscientious as you? The trash heap or a good bonfire is the only appropriate destination for such as this. If it isn't good enough for you (and us) it isn't good for anyone else. In fact it is bad (as in cultural poison) for anyone.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • chonakchonak
    Perhaps selling the works to some Unitarian congregation will generate a little money for the parish's music budget.
    Thanked by 1WGS
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    If it isn't good enough for you (and us) it isn't good for anyone else.
    This seems to have been the philosophy of one of my successors: when I stopped by to practice organ I happened to notice a lot of Monteverdi that could still be rescued from the dumpster. As custodians of libraries I don't think it should always our call to say what's fit for burning.
  • Well, I wrote what my impulse would be, namely to eradicate a literary and musical pestilence. However, on second thought, I most likely would not burn the stuff. I would hate even to place it (ever so delicately) into a dumpster. There is something about all printed matter, and, especially, books, that beckons that mercy be shown even to the most worthless examples. There is something human about it even if it should never have found its way into print and published between two covers. It's best to stash it away in some dark and never used closet, or in a rickety old cupboard in a room far up in the belfry that hasn't been opened for the last fifty (at least) years. So, after a fashion, I am in substantial agreement with Richard Mix's take on my above comment.
  • Could you sell it to the Vatican, to serve as ballast on the newly christened freighter/barge Bugnini?
  • Store the music, give it away, or sell it. I have seen the exact opposite of this when visiting the music suite of a local large, main-line Protestant church. The culmination of their twenty year worship wars' battles was the firing of a well-trained and talented full-time music director who had meticulously curated a vast library of octavos and choral collections with regular additions of a broad style range. The new part-time director began an immediate purge of all but contemporary Christian pop sugar music. There were dozens of boxes of music destined for a dumpster lining the hallway. Storage space was not an issue as there are rooms in the building which have not been used in years and likely never will be. Such a shame that a person would have been so zealous in their mission to get rid of any hint of the traditional. Much of this library would have been gladly absorbed by AGO chapter lending libraries or could have been sold online.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    That's a sad story, @cesarfranck. Some of these younger (not always, but often) directors are being hired with very little background in choral conducting, or even choral singing. They don't know any repertoire other than stuff they've heard on KLove or the like.

Quite a few full-time directors have been eliminated in my neck of the woods (both CMAA types and career NPMers) and replaced with part-time musicians who also play piano in restaurants, with cover bands, or in the pits of musicals. They're good musicians, but they know nothing about liturgy or sacred music. All they are are accompanists with subscriptions to Today's Liturgy.
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck MarkB
  • To Mr. Osbourne's comment

Please note that in my original comment that I mentioned, I said that I "selling music which this parish won't use." You are assuming I getting rid of this based off of a recognition that it is inappropriate for the liturgy; I've not claimed that one way or the other; and I'm getting rid of it at the request of two very faithful choir members with music experience. They, after being in the choir for 30+ years, have the understanding of the parish traditions that I, being at the parish 2 months, do not.

Thanked by 1chonak