Questions: Absolution following the Requiem Mass (EF)
  • 1. Can the Absolution be sung even though it follows a Missa Lecta (Low Mass)? Or should the Absolution in this case be recited?

2. In the case of an Absolution when the body is not present, can the Libera me be sung as the priest removes his chasuble and puts on his cope? Or do we have to wait until he is ready at the catafalque?

3. Not music related. Is it allowed for a priest assisting in choro at the Requiem Mass to do the Absolution in place of the celebrant of the Mass (one priest celebrates the Mass, and then a different priest does the Absolution)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Interesting questions... my best attempts at an answer:

1. I would incline toward recited, however, the absolution is separate from the Mass so they are not interdependent - so it seems that it could be sung even if it is a Low Mass. In researching your question, I discovered that you can have the absolution, for example, even after a Mass not a Requiem. (from the rubrics of the 1960 Missale as found at DivinumOfficium.com):
    400. Any Mass for the dead may be either sung or low.

401. The absolution over the corpse or over a catafalque:
    a) must be held after a funeral Mass;
    b) may be held after the other Masses of the dead;
    c) may be held, for a good reason, even after Masses which are not of the dead.

2. The cantors can start the Libera Me (when the body is not present) while the celebrant is changing into cope. Of course, when the body is present, they wait for the celebrant to complete the Non Intres before starting.

3. I assume that it still applies... my Matters Liturgical (1956) says:
    An Absolution after a Mass of Requiem must be given by the celebrant of the Mass. Only the Bishop of the diocese has the right to give Absolution after a Mass of which he was not the celebrant; a titular bishop does not have this right, and it is the more probable view that he cannot be delegated to exercise this right in the name of the Ordinary.
  • When I had a Requiem Mass offered for a family member who didn’t get a Catholic funeral, we had a low Mass with absolution, our priest from the FSSP told me that the absolution must be sung even if it’s a low Mass, so that’s what we did. It would appear to be allowed.
  • Thank you very much, @Incardination and @ SponsaChristi.

our priest from the FSSP told me that the absolution must be sung even if it’s a low Mass

Do any of you know where I can find this instruction? Thanks again.
  • Thank you, Sponsa, for correcting my earlier statement regarding the Absolution. Unfortunately, Matters Liturgical is broken up in different sections, so I had to look at several sections to see some of the additional information - my mistake!

An Absolution without the body being either physically or morally present is permitted after any (even low) Mass of Requiem, provided that the Absolution is celebrated with chant.

[different section] If on the occasion of a funeral the prescribed Absolution cannot be given with chant, it must be given without chant but with holy water and incense.

Although I've had priests ask that I start the Libera Me while they are vesting into Cope, Matters Liturgical has this:
    The choir shall not begin the singing of the Libera, until the celebrant and the crucifer have taken up their proper position at either end of the coffin or catafalque; on the occasion of a funeral, moreover, the singing of the Libera shall not begin until the celebrant has finished the Non intres.

Thanks, OffertoryVerses, for asking the questions... it was helpful to see this spelled out.
    Thanked by 1OffertoryVerses