Recessional chant (unaccompanied)?
  • Hello all,

First I want to say thank you everyone for the very interesting and often informative discussions which I've enjoyed reading here! Been visiting for a few months and this is my first post.

Is there a precedent for an unaccompanied recessional chant (or other sung piece) instead of having a recessional hymn or postlude? I am thinking of asking a cantor to do this for an upcoming Sunday Mass where there will be no instruments. It will be a chanted antiphonal Mass so stylistically it would work. The alternative is a silent recession. I've never seen it done, and my internet research has yielded no fruit.

Has anyone seen this done and where would you suggest looking for an appropriate piece? Or would it be appropriate at all? Thank you very much!
  • The Marian Antiphon at the end of Mass has quite a bit of precedent!
  • As there is wide latitude for recessionals I don't see why you couldn't technically do it. The only limiting factors would be finding an appropriate piece, and also knowing if the congregation and priest would be up for it, which you would know best.

Some directors here have the congregation sing a Marian antiphon at the end every Sunday. That's what I would first suggest as well. If you want them to join in, do the simple tone Salve. The solemn tone - well, the monastic tone - is my favourite though.
  • Also: Sub Tuum, Salve Mater, Memorare, Ave Maria.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We usually just sing the Marian antiphon unaccompanied. We rarely have an organist anyway.
  • Great, thank you all for your responses. I had not heard of the Marian antiphon "option."
  • tomjaw
    It is normal to sing the Marian Anthem after EF Mass in England...

From the LMS ordo

Singing of the Antiphon of the BVM after Mass
    Where the practice exists of singing the antiphon of the BVM together with the appropriate versicle and response and prayer after Mass the following should be observed:
    From 1st Sunday of Advent to the Vigil of the Nativity of OLJC inclusive, Alma Redemptoris Mater together with versicle Angelus Domini and prayer Gratiam tuam is sung.
    From the Nativity to the Purification of BVM inclusive, Alma Redemptoris Mater together with versicle Post partum and prayer Deus qui salutis is sung.
    From the day after the Purification to the Wednesday in Holy Week inclusive, Ave Regina caelorum is sung.
    From Easter Sunday to Whit Saturday inclusive, Regina caeli is sung.
    From the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity to the Saturday before the 1st Sunday
    of Advent inclusive, Salve Regina is sung.
    On a Sunday if the Prayer for the Queen is to be sung, it must be sung first and for
    this and the Antiphon of the BVM the maniple should be removed.
  • The Te Laudamus Domine (By Flowing Waters, 657)?
  • There is much useful music for the NO Mass in By Flowing Waters. Buy a copy and you will not be disappointed.

They even show up used at times!

Try abe.com.
  • Where the practice exists of singing the antiphon of the BVM together with the appropriate versicle and response and prayer after Mass the following should be observed:
    If the versicle, response, and prayer are included, the antiphon is sung as an act of devotion, not a recessional hymn. Then it would likely be followed by a vernacular hymn or organ voluntary. I've never heard the versicle, response, and prayer added after Mass in the United States, but it appears to be rather common to do so in France and, given the excerpt quoted from the LMS Ordo, in the UK as well.
  • The identification of England as "Our Lady's Dowry" dates back at least to 1051. Currently there is an indult, obtained on the basis of Dos Mariæ, allowing the addition of a Marian prayer to the Prayer of the Faithful (Bidding Prayers). Perhaps the rebel colonies could argue for it to extend there
  • Liam
    "Currently there is an indult, obtained on the basis of Dos Mariæ, allowing the addition of a Marian prayer to the Prayer of the Faithful (Bidding Prayers)."

When was the indult issued and in what form? I've understood that Cdl Heenan made it his custom to add it after the postconciliar Missal was promulgated, and his practice was imitated elsewhere in England, but not that there was an indult as such.

http://ttonys-blog.blogspot.com/2012/05/hail-mary-in-bidding-prayers.html
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Liam - thanks for the link; sorry, only hearsay, but repeated over the years. And also hearsay that CDWDS would like the practice discouraged, that the bishops had discussed the matter, and the collective view was: let sleeping dogs lie.
    Our parish practice is to sing Regina Cœli after the petitions during Eastertide, and Salve Regina during October.