Books required for Ordo Cantus Officii?
  • Jz00533
    I was looking into the 2015 Ordo Cantus Officii, which I’m sure some of you are familiar with. My question is, what books would I need to have to use this guide, and which ones are available for free and legal digital download (public domain)? If there are some books that are only mentioned a few times in the OCO, I can probably skip those.
  • Jz00533
    It is worth mentioning that I will only be chanting Lauds (sometimes) and Vespers (all the time). Compline is a maybe (I have other ways to chant that already).

So if there are books that are used mostly for the daytime hours or the office of readings, I don’t really need those either!
  • I have the sense that the OCO isn’t really meant for us plebeians. It kinda makes me wonder why it’s published … unless Solesmes has basically given up on completing the Antiphonale, and the idea is that interested folks will put together a Gregobase-like resource that facilitates use of the chant in the full modern Office.
  • tomjaw
    unless Solesmes has basically given up on completing the Antiphonale
    Why would anyone want to produce a Liturgical book for the N.O. It is in a constant state of change. N.B. This is a feature not a bug according to those that invented the N.O.

As for the EF how many publishers went out of business from say 1950 onwards? Every time they produced a new Missale, Graduale, Antiphonale the texts are being changed as you do the typesetting!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • SalieriSalieri
    I find it unlikely that the new Antiphonale Romanum will be completed; "Volume II" for Sundays and Solemnities and the Liber Hymnarius (aka. "Volume I") are more than enough to cope with the five or so churches in the world that sing N.O. Vespers in Latin on Sundays. Most places that celebrate the Office in the New Rite do it in the vernacular, either recto tono from the Breviary, or using the Meinrad Psalter, and even then basically only do Sunday Vespers. There is no need to compile the other books of the A.R.; the only thing that might be welcome would be a special collection containing Matins of Christmas (for before Midnight Mass), and Matins and Lauds of the Triduum (for those who want to do a 'Tenebrae' Office according to the new books).
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Unfortunately, I think you’re right.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Westminster Cathedral has sung vespers daily, some are full blown Solemn Vespers, some are just the Mens' voices (I think still in Latin), the other days it is in English and mostly the congregation with organ & cantor support. A sample week.. But what sources you need to achieve that I do not know.
  • tomjaw
    @a_f_hawkins Are they using the EF? or a modification. They seem to be using the old Hymns of the EF, as they need to do if they are going to sing Palestrina etc. Also looking at a recording booklet for Christmas Vespers online it is the EF.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Difficult to check from 260 miles away, all the days are given OF identifications, and
    The Choir's repertoire is unique amongst English Cathedrals. Drawing on the pre-reformation tradition and the current liturgical practices of the Roman Church, Gregorian Chant forms the backbone of every service. Polyphonic music is drawn from across several centuries but the bias is towards music of the Counter Reformation, ...
  • SalieriSalieri
    They might be doing their own thing, based on OCO and the Old Antiphonale Romanum. Westminster has been doing vespers since RR Terry, so I'm sure that when the reforms hit the Master Over the Choristers and the Chapter put together their own office books. According to reports, the "Rite of Michael Napier" used at Brompton uses EF Vespers with modifications for the OF Calendar (Sundays of Ordinary Time, proper Mag Antiphons, Collects, etc.).

I remember hearing a recording of Vespers for [whatever-number-it-was] Sunday of Ordinary time from a Cathedral (Sydney?) in Australia recorded in the 1990s--it was EF Vespers with Pss 109-113, but with the correct Mag. Antiphon and Collect for the OF Sunday.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • joerg
    Westminster Cathedral have their own antiphoner for OF vespers. It was edited by Peter Wilton.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins