Messiaen's Livre du Saint-Sacrement
  • I'm considering playing a movement or two of this for a degree recital next year. Everywhere I look, the collection is quite expensive (about $75-$100). Anybody know of a cheaper source, or have you too had to cough up $100? Was it worth the investment if so?
    Thanked by 1RMSawicki
  • kevinfkevinf
    Musicroom has it for 65 euro (about 68 $US) with 15 euro shipping. I have the score but I only play 2 mvts. from it.
  • CharlesW
    Play something cheaper. LOL
  • Little_Durufle,

Send me a private e-mail. You can have my copy for a song. I only play a few of the movements and have copies of those.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • @CharlesW

I appreciate your sense of humor :)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ghmus7
    Yes the French editions are very expensive. But it's good to remember that they are supporting his heirs, including his son Pascal.
  • @ghmus7

But it's good to remember that they are supporting his heirs, including his son Pascal.

I wound up getting the score for free. However, I think that's a good explanation, even justification, for a high price.
  • RMSawicki
    To give (of our art...) and not count the cost...

Oh wait, that's Christian charity. Sorry.

:-D

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
  • For anyone that searches in the future, I thought I'd mention Presto Music in England. They have great pricing on organ and choral music, and have super inexpensive shipping to the USA ($3.55 for the first item, then $1.45 per item). Sadly, I've sometimes ordered things from American publishers through them when I'm not in a hurry because it's cheaper—both for the item and the shipping.

The particular piece you've asked about happens to be on sale right now, and they do have great sales regularly on a publisher-by-publisher basis.

https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-music/products/7380220--olivier-messiaen-livre-du-saint-sacrement
  • ghmus7
    I find the story of Messiaen with the tragedy of his first wife, His internment as a prisoner of war camp (where he wrote is masterpiece "Quartet for the end of time") raising his son as a single parent and his meeting Yvonne Loriod is as inspiring as his music. Let's not forget too, that he found inspiration in our country, with his many works inspired by Utah and other places, including the birds he found here. A true giant of our faith in my opinion, and I hope might be the first composer to be considered for sainthood.

"The human being is flesh and consciousness, body and soul; his heart is an abyss which can only be filled by that which is godly."

I love this little picture of him with his son Pascal.
    1024 x 1020 - 177K
  • Excuse the ignorant question, but wasn't Messiaen blind?
  • Excuse...
    No, that was Langlais.
    There have been others.
    Paris has quite a list of blind organists.
  • MarkS
    Seconding Presto Music. 25% off this month!
  • A true giant of our faith in my opinion, and I hope might be the first composer to be considered for sainthood.

I second that. I'm convinced he was blessed with a mysticism, one that was expressed in ways unlike that of other mystics. One can't listen to his music without having some contemplation of the next world.
  • ...contemplation of the next world...
    From my diary -
    A beautifully crafted music is like unto an Holy Icon written in Sound:
    O Realms Unseen it offers a Glimpse,
    Whilst Those Seen it casts in a Light more Profound.
    Thanked by 1Little_Durufle
  • kevinfkevinf
    So shall we begin his cause? Someone has to do it.
    Thanked by 1Little_Durufle