Translation help
  • Is there anywhere an official (or as close as possible) translation for the following Collect:

Deus, qui nos fecisti hodierna die paschalia feata celebrare; fac nos, quaesumus, in celesti regno gaudere. Per Christum.

Thanks!
  • Clemens,

Are you sure it's "feata"?
  • GambaGamba
    Lord, we have joyfully celebrated today's paschal feast. May we one day rejoice in your heavenly kingdom. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

I'm willing to bet that's pretty nearly identical to a 70s translation.

• *festa

My typo, sorry.
  • Thanks, Gamba! You’re probably right.
  • chonakchonak
    It doesn't appear to be in the Missale Romanum 2002. A search on the net finds it in Migne's edition of the Liber Sacramentorum of St Gregory the Great:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=7dk_AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA13-IA26&lpg=PA13-IA26&dq=hodierna+die+paschalia+festa&source=bl&ots=h8O_4Cs_uP&sig=ACfU3U1NJSYil6eJ8RsxbkuRI5WHUkBzQg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwivwKP24u7jAhUJnlkKHZmDCIwQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=hodierna die paschalia festa&f=false

It was apparently used on the Octave of Easter.

To be a little more literal than '70s style, you could render it something like:

O God,
    who have made us to celebrate the paschal feasts on this day,
    make us, we beseech you, to rejoice in the kingdom of Heaven.
    Through our Lord Jesus Christ...
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Very cool, all! Thanks a ton!
  • Liam
    One go for the gusto with literalism, too:

God, who hast made us on this day the paschal feasts to celebrate,
    make us, we beseech thee, in the kingdom of Heaven to rejoice. Through our Lord Jesus Christ..
  • chonakchonak
    Let's not propose that. Preserving the Latin word order may be useful if one is preparing an interlinear gloss of a text, but not in a translation intended to be read or spoken.
  • Chonak,

Preserving the word order is a good idea at least sometimes, to avoid the silly-ness of

"May almighty God bless you: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit". [Deus needs to be closer to the appositive, for otherwise "you" is explained by "Father, Son and Holy Spirit", but this very example also shows where "Vos" doesn't make sense in the "preserved" word order.]

• chonakchonak
    I appreciate your concern, CGZ, though I'm not sure whether your argument takes into account the use of the colon in the English text instead of a comma.
  • Liam
    Then again, can one hear the difference between the colon and a comma? I suspect not as often as one should be able to.
    Thanked by 3chonak CHGiffen tomjaw