8th Sunday in Ordinary Time?
  • miacoyne
    It seems to be that 8th Sunday (and week) in Ordinary time is missing. Is there any particular reason for this?
    (7th Sunday in Ordinary time was on Feb. 22, then we had Ash Wednesday in that week, and we have Pentecost on May 31.)
  • Richard R.
    In fact, we miss the 8th-11th Sundays this year; Ordinary Time (per se) resumes June 21 with the 12th Sunday. Because there are a variable number of Sundays between Easter and Advent in any given year, the Calendar must have some room for contraction. The modern Calendar uses these Sundays to perform the trick, counting up from Epiphany to Ash Wednesday; counting back from Christ the King to Corpus Christi, with anything left over in the middle left out. In the old Calendar, the same contraction is accomplished at the end of the year, with the Sundays after the 22nd Sunday borrowed from whatever got left out of the Sundays after Epiphany. (The Proper chants for those Sundays just repeat, as there are no Propers for the 4th-6th Sundays after Epiphany.) Two different solutions to the same problem.
  • dvalerio
    > Is there any particular reason for this?

Yes. When there are only 33 weeks in ordinary time, one is ommited. The Missale Romanum says so in a rubric at the beginning of «TEMPUS “ PER ANNUM ”» right after the Pentecost:

«After Pentecost, if there are 34 weeks of Ordinary Time, the series [of Ordinary Time Masses] is resumed from the week immediately following the last one celebrated before Lent, taking into account however that the Masses of Pentecost and of the sollemnity of the Most Holy Trinity take the place of Sunday Masses. If there are but 33 weeks of Ordinary Time, the first week that would be resumed after Pentecost is ommited.» [my translation, rubric 2 b)]
  • dvalerio
    > we miss the 8th-11th Sundays this year

Yes, but not the ferial Masses. These begin anew in the Monday of the 9th week. (And here in Portugal Corpus Christi is still on Thursday, so we'll have the 11th Sunday alright.)
  • miacoyne
    Thanks. It's pretty complicated for me, but good to know.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I wanna say that either the 8th Sunday in Ordinary Time or the 9th Sunday only occurs every like 26 years. I am serious.
  • Jeff's left the classroom and his English is already deteriorating. Welcome to the real world, Jeff....
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    :-)