'Holy God, We Praise Thy Name' - complete, set to RASMUS & O'CONNELL
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Note: The setting has been expanded and augmented by incorporating all seven stanzas (1-6, 8) of the Walworth translation plus a stanza (7) by Hugh T. Henry - with RASMUS for stanzas 1-4 & 7-8, plus a new tune of mine, O'CONNELL, for stanzas 5-6. These appear a bit further own the thread.

As promised in another thread, here is my setting of "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name" to a triple-meter version of my hymn tune RASMUS. In the accompanying sound file, the second stanza realizes the Alto part up and octave as a faux descant, but the preferred descant is on the final stanza. Comments welcome.
  • I like it.
    It has a certain Anglicanesque dignity.
    And it doesn't have any of those funny little eighth notes...
    and the last line isn't repeated to the amusement of sensible souls.
    Good work!

(Um... was Rasmus named after Rasmus of Rotterdam?)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My original tune RASMUS was composed in honour of the Very Reverend John E. Rasmus, the (now retired, for several years) former Rector of St Paul's Church in Hudson, WI, an outstanding cleric, pastor, and dear friend with a marvelous baritone voice coupled with a deep appreciation for and support of good church music. We see each other from time to time when either he visits Hudson or I visit Madison where he now lives, and it is always a great joy.

The duple-meter original version of RASMUS was composed for the text "Let Thy Blood in Mercy Poured" ... and it is one of my most popular works, on par with my original music setting of "Creator of the Stars of Night."
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • ServiamScores
    Charles, I find this delightful and charming. I agree with Mr. Osborn that it sounds Anglican (in my world that is definitely a complement). I'm going to teach this to my choir as a communion "motet".
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is my full setting of "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name" ... but a few words are in order.

Ignaz Franz translated "Te Deum laudamus" from Latin into German in the 18th century, and the hymn tune we know as GROSSER GOTT (named for Franz's text "Grosser Gott, wir loben dich") is derived from the original melody to which the text was set. This setting became very popular, amongst both Catholics and Protestants. Because of the popularity of this German setting, Clarence Walworth adopted Franz's meter (78. 78. 77) to his own translation into English of the original Latin "Te Deum laudamus" resulting in "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name." Thus, as is often wrongly asserted, "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name" is a NOT a translation into English of the German "Grosser Gott, wir loben dich" by Franz (which would make it a derived, or secondarily sourced, English translation of the Latin, via the German translation) but a direct English poetic translation from the Latin.

Often, Walworth's translation appears in hymnals with only the first four stanzas of his translation; indeed, sometimes only three stanzas are given. For those familiar with the Anglican chant setting in English ("We praise Thee, O God") from the Book of Common Prayer, which has three parts, the first and third parts are set to one chant whilst the middle part is set to a different (usually minor key) chant. The first four stanzas of Walworth's translation correspond roughly to the first part of the Anglican chant setting, the next two stanzas correspond roughly to the middle part, and the rest (including Hugh T. Henry's 7th stanza translation) correspond to the third part of the Anglican chant setting.

With this in mind, I have set the first four stanzas of HGWPTN to my tune RASMUS (reconfigured to triple meter from the original duple meter tune), the next two stanzas (5 & 6) to a new tune O'CONNELL in the dominant relative minor of RASMUS, and the final two stanzas (including Henry's 7th) again to RASMUS ... somewhat in parallel with the Anglican chant format. I hope that this setting pays appropriate and respectful homage to the Anglican chant setting, which I have often and for a very long time (since about 1961) sung to No. 613 (E.G. Monk) & No. 617 (W. Croft) in The Hymnal 1940.

Comments are welcome and encouraged. The first PDF has the SATB settings (without the descants) suitable for congregational use, the second has the SATB settings with the stanza 4 & 8 descant.

Thanked by 1Incardination
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here are new files (.pdf & .mid) that incorporate a few changes to the tune O'CONNELL which were made recently, when I was preparing the hymn "Gentle Shepherd, Thou hast stilled" (as found in the thread Sad news, grief, and a hymn).

Note: Corrected PDF scores uploaded on Nov 13.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • *sceptre (or American English scepter) not sceptor, I think that's a typo.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks for catching the typo - files have been replaced with the correct (West Pondelian) spelling.