Mass of Puff, the Magic Dragon
  • francis
    You will make a lot of money from the publishers and you will also burn in hell.
  • CharlesW
    Not so different from the Pirate Gloria and the Polly, Wolly, Doodle Kyrie in the Liturgical Mysteries. In a backhanded way, these compositions poke fun at the liturgical and musical ignorance that prevails in too many parishes.

Don't let OCP and GIA see this. It will be in their next hymnal editions.

Francis is on his Scarlet Letter kick again. Hush before he gets out the stocks and leg irons.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    This is a little to obvious so it would never make it into OCP or GIA. But it does speak volumes about what you do find in them and other modern publications. I think the psalm says it best "they gossip about me at the gate and drunkards make me the butt of their songs"
    Thanked by 2CharlesW cesarfranck
  • francis
    I wouldn't discount ocp or the gaia from picking this up... make sure to copyright it and let it descend into your secret archives never to be seen again... (lol).

Scarlet Letter kick... just opinions... take em or leave em, Charles. Don't know why my opinions get under your skin so much. Perhaps just too black and white? I let most roll off my back.
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck Cantus67
  • CharlesW
    Your opinions don't bother me, I just find the extremes rather funny. Too late to hide the piece since I saved it.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • francis
    I also think the inspiration from a 'puff' is also telling about the state of music (and theology) in the church these days.
  • francis
    I think VII is extreme... you?
  • CharlesW
    I think the application went off the rails. It did not have to happen that way.
  • RMSawicki
    Oh....

Bad childhood memories coming back...

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
  • MarkB
    I know... if you play it on guitar and sing it, it sounds exactly like it's from a 70s folk Mass.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I wonder if when Michael was rowing that damned boat he ever reached the shore? LOL. Never want to hear that one again.
    Thanked by 2Salieri cesarfranck
  • mmeladirectress
    neither do I.
    If "sister" was any good at trimming the sails, why did they have to row anyway?
    Put it in the same drawer with "the little drummer boy".
  • dad29
    Well, thank God recently-written hymns have migrated away from "folk.":

Now they're ripoffs of "Cats."
    Thanked by 2CharlesW MarkB
  • SalieriSalieri
    You know, I wonder if the eponymous Michael is Michael Joncas?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Last six notes = end of "O Lord, I Am Not Worthy"

Therefore it's "suitable for sacred use."

How many snails have to die to make enough purple for this post?
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Those baby boomer hippies will love this.
  • Brilliant. Here's your demo track: http://patricktorsell.com/recording/puff.mp3

Pardon me while I go cleanse my palate with some Vierne...
  • MarkB
    Oh, thank you for that so much, 32!

It sounds very authentic. Very 70s. Nice arrangement with the instrumentation and vocal harmony.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if that recording finds its way into a workshop for liturgical musicians as an example of what sacred music is NOT. It's perfect.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Oh, my! That sounds EXACTLY like the demo recordings I received from WLP and OCP at a diocesan workshop when the new Missal came out.
  • francis
    32... You could easily get a job with OCP In exchange for your soul
  • @francis **Not sure whether flattered or offended, but leaning toward offended** ;-)
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • mmeladirectress
    >> Brilliant. Here's your demo track
    Scary... :-)
    Thanked by 132ContraBombarde
  • @mmeladirectress - the real scary part is that I actually invested about 30 minutes of my day working on the EQ, reverb, simulated tube amp, and compressor to get that 70s vibe going. I need to get a life...
  • francis
    No offense intended... just an observation
  • chonakchonak
    LOL.
  • No offense intended... just an observation

And an astute one at that. Should I seek mental help for my predilection for silly arrangements of awful music??? Just wait till you hear my barbershop cut of "Bring Flowers of the Rarest."
  • GerardH
    Just wait till you hear my barbershop cut of "Bring Flowers of the Rarest."

(⚆ o ⚆) I would almost pay to hear this!
  • How much? Let's start the bidding!
  • toddevoss
    32 - I was still a young lutheran when the revised mass started. Of course we already had a sung english liturgy that sounded reverent and was singable. However, that did not stop the guitar liturgies in the early 70's and your rendition is a scream. Fortunately, the complete domination of the "folk mass" never happened in the Lutheran Church because of what we already had. Now of course, the Lutheran Church is tempted to adopt even more contemporary music a ' la the Mega-Church approach and there is a significant battle in the Missouri Synod. I've lost touch with the ELCA to know what's going on there. I believe their temptations are different.
  • francis
    Dont worry 32... you should hear my jazz rendition of 'when morning gilds the skies' or the korbyforte... we all use the outlet to create these silly things to say sane.
  • CharlesW
    And an astute one at that. Should I seek mental help for my predilection for silly arrangements of awful music??? Just wait till you hear my barbershop cut of "Bring Flowers of the Rarest."

Looking forward to hearing it. You have good musicianship and a sense of humor and I enjoy both. I have often said if you couldn't laugh at some of the craziness in the world it would truly drive you nuts.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • It wouldn’t surprise me if there was something like this floating around somewhere. There’s a terrible quality reel to reel recording from the 60s of a Folk Mass with 8th graders. All the “hymns” are literally re-writes of songs by Peter, Paul and Mary.
  • GambaGamba
    For anyone with 25 minutes to kill, there’s a really fun artifact in the 1957 20th Century Folk Mass by the Englishman Geoffrey Beaumont. It is the 1662 BCP text plus a few hymns, set and scored and performed in the manner of a movie musical.

As I understand it, the word “folk” was used to mean “people music”, rather than “guitars and flowers”, and this setting became rather popular in parishes for a while.

https://youtu.be/fXDqe4zWy6o
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • MarkB
    I listened to the recording Gamba linked to. It's jarring to hear Mass music set in such a style. Seems obviously dated and inappropriate. Skip ahead to the 24:00 time stamp, where the preface dialogue and preface are chanted. That sounds like a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the Mass, but then at the end of the preface the Sanctus begins in the same 1950s popular "I Love Lucy" orchestral style, and it's jarring.

Even if that style ever sounded acceptable to people for Mass in the 1950s, it sounds ridiculous now. I wonder if OCP's Spirit and Song approach to Mass music will similarly sound obviously ridiculous fifty years from now. Does it take fifty years for people to realize what should be obvious?
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • davido
    Gamba, I think the composer of this work as per the back of the album cover show in the video is Geoffrey Beaumont.
    Geoffrey Shaw, who died in 1943 was the brother of the more famous and celebrated Martin Shaw who wrote a worthy composition entitled Anglican Folk Mass, which is essentially free composed modal chant with English folk song inflections. Nothing like this Mario Lanza mass linked above.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • GambaGamba
    Davido,

Quite right. I'm sorry, and will try to refrain from posting before the coffee kicks in.
  • dad29
    I believe their temptations are different.

Rumor from my Mizzou Synod pals is that ELCA's tempted to merge with the Unitarians. Then it will be ELCAUCC, or "El Cowk".
  • [off topic warning]
    Why would the ELCA want to merge with the Unitarians?
    Come to think of it, why would the Missouri Synod care what the ELCA was doing?
  • ...want to merge...
    If true, this would only go to show that not only is the ELCA not really Lutheran (as if that were news), but not even Christian. But then, one could argue that the Missouri Synod itself (or, at least, large swaths of it) is not really Lutheran, but a peculiar brand of evangelical church with a Lutheran veneer.

Such is the tenor of our times - our Protestant friends have no monopoly on identity vs. reality, for there are, indeed, large swaths of Catholicism that are 'Catholic' in name only.... even 'Christian' in name only.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    large swaths of Catholicism that are 'Catholic' in name only
    "The Church will be in eclipse, the world will be in dismay." Our Lady of La Salette
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • chonakchonak
    Someone is confusing two religious bodies. The nationwide structure for Unitarians is the UUA (Unitarian Universalist Association), whereas the UCC is the denomination United Church of Christ, which was a merger of Congregationalist and Reformed congregations.

UCC and ELCA and two other denominations already reached an agreement of full communion in 1997, so they already have a close ecumenical relationship.
  • ...is confusing two...
    Still and all - it says something about the ELCA's true Lutheranism that it would merge with the UCC rather than get serious about unification within the Lutheran (or, nominally Lutheran) world. Next it will be Catholics of the Spirit of Vatican II Synod who want to merge with the Episcopalians so that they can have the priestesses which they crave and won't have to be embarrassed about the abortion issue.
  • Next it will be

and error will still be error.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    Jackson, I think it's a mistake to take the story seriously. At this point, it looks like someone's idea of a joke about these very PC denominations.
  • Good counsel, Chonak.
    Still, one never knows.
    The Church of Canada (Anglican) has for many years been just such a merger - as has been the Anglican church in India.
    And, believe it or not, the Episcopal Church (US) has in the past put out serious 'feelers' with several of the really Protestant churches.
    One never knows, but, let's hope that in this instance you are correct!
  • Josh
    This parody Sanctus still doesn't quite beat Sister Irene O'Connor's Mass Emmanuel from 1976, mentioned on an earlier thread... here is a link to a recording of it that works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9u13Ui5kag
    Thanked by 2chonak MarkB
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, it has some plausibility; and isn't Germany's Evangelische Kirche also a merger of Lutheran and Reformed elements?

Probably there will be mergers of some of these denominations, as marketing exec Jack Cashill famously proposed in a 1985 satirical commentary about treating religious identities as product brands. His suggestion of a distinct "RC Classic" brand line for tradition-oriented Catholics is almost a reality.
  • dad29
    it looks like someone's idea of a joke

It started that way. But it may well be a prediction!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    no compromise... no compromise... no compromise (in other words, no dialogue) :) no aggorniamento!!! shut the d*** window... it's getting really cold in here.
  • francis
    with a title like "mass of puff, the magic dragon" you have created a thread that will never die in THE modernist catholic church