Advice Please: Online Masters in Sacred Music or Closest Equivalent
  • JonathanLCJonathanLC
    Hi Everyone,

I would really like to use my time teaching music abroad to its full potential and I felt that a master's degree would be one really good way to do so. Professional development is highly valued at the institution I am working for, so they would be very supportive. I have been looking everywhere for an online Masters in Sacred Music or its closest equivalent, but have not found anything.

The topic I am really interested in doing is effective enculturation in Sacred Music, focussing on the work being done in the Afrikaans Orthodox Community in Robertson, South Africa. The degree needs to be 100% online. Any advice on supplementing this degree with other online courses and recommended book on theology, liturgics etc. would really be helpful.

I have a B.Mus from Nelson Mandela University (Choral conducting and Flute Practical - I did take some piano, organ and composition/orchestration classes), an Advanced Diploma in Choral Conducting from Universiteit Stellenbosch and a PGCE in English and Creative Arts.

I would genuinely appreciate any advice on this!

If you would like to hear some of their music, have a listen here: https://afrikaansortodoks.wordpress.com/cds/
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for posting the link with audio clips; it was lovely to hear one of the Good Friday lamentations sung in Afrikaans.
    Thanked by 2JonathanLC CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    Unfortunately not 100% online, you need 3 weeks in Princeton or Oxford but https://www.rider.edu/news/2018/01/25/westminster-offers-online-graduate-program-sacred-music .
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Doesn't the Graduate Theological Foundation offer MSM and DSM degrees that could be done completely online?
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • a_f_hawkins
    Graduate Admission : Only those who have been in ministry for at least five years may apply. (See Ministry Defined)
    The Graduate Theological Foundation defines ministry as “service to the improvement and nurture of society and the world community.” Due to the blurred lines between the sacred and secular in contemporary society, ministry professionals are continually crafting their role and the nature of their work, a process which takes into account both personal values-based service and public responsibility. Practitioners involved in ministry are self-reflectively aware of the nurturing quality of that activity, and are found in such fields as education, pastoral care and counseling, chaplaincy, mediation, psychology, health care and counseling, sacred music, religious education and other cognate fields.
    Post-graduate training in translating gibberish to English highly desireable.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JonathanLC
  • The examples of Afrikaans singing that you included remind one of much orthodox singing.
    Lovely!
    Thanked by 2JonathanLC CHGiffen