Unison Mass settings
  • JL
    What's your favorite Mass setting for unison trebles (on the high side) and organ? Even better, have you written one of your own?
  • madorganist
    I've used the Willan Mass of St. Teresa with my children's choir, which can be found in the New St. Basil Hymnal. No Credo; we usually sing III with it.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Rheinberger's Missa Puerorum.

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Missa_Puerorum,_op._62_(Josef_Rheinberger)

Or Terry's Short Mass in C.

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Short_Mass_in_C_(Richard_R._Terry)

Thanked by 1madorganist
  • a_f_hawkins
    N.B. Because those urls have brackets in them the forum software doesn't quite cope, and readers need to cut the line and paste into their browser to get access.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The text of the Rheinberger Gloria is incomplete, which to me makes it inappropriate for the Mass. But since it is in fact one of the best, I did a recomposition to fit the words in, which can be found at cpdl.org.

Most unison settings don't go much above d, but the Rheinberger goes to F. So does, if memory serves, Langlais' Missa In Simplicitate, and Martin Dumler's Missa Cantate Pueri. My bunch does the Rheinberger, Dumler, and Willam, as well as Griesbacher Missa rosa mystica (Not yet the Langlais, largely because it's $20/copy, his widow is still alive, and she's been generous in general with his music.)

I've got the Kyrie, Sanctus/Benedictus and Agnus of a unison Mass sitting on my computer. I'm not sure I like it, and I just haven't been able to write a Gloria.
  • Matthew Martin, the Oratory Mass
    Peter Maxwell Davies Missa Parvula

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is my own "Ascension Mass" (not specifically for Ascension, but so-named because of my personal affiliation and devotion to the Ascension). It contains both English and Latin settings of the ordinary plus English settings of the other parts usually included in an OF setting. I can supply MP3 sound files. And I can supply a transposition up a minor third for high treble voices. Of course, an SATB choral score is also available for mixed choirs.