Carl Czerny: More than just "Velocity"
  • SalieriSalieri
    Many only know of Carl Czerny from having to slog through his (in-)famous Op. 299 ("School of Velocity") in piano lessons, but Czerny was one of the most important pianists of the early 19th century: he was Beethoven's star pupil, and gave the first performances of several Beethoven works. I encourage you to take a listen to his other music, particularly his Piano Concerti and Symphonies.

Here is a link to Czerny's Symphony Nr. 1 in C Minor (Op. 780): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCV0miiH4rI

And his Piano Concerto Nr. 1 in D Minor (unpublished): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5g5ZMFIjZY

Both are well worth a listen. And if it whets your appetite, look up Ignaz Moscheles as well.

(As a side-note: I am personally of the opinion that much 18th & 19th century music is played much too fast, so I listen to some recordings slowed down to 0.75, these being two of them; one may wish to do the same.)
  • CharlesW
    Agree, on the tempos.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Ah, but did he write any sacred music?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    From uncle Widipedia: "Czerny, a devout Catholic, also composed many religious pieces. These works include a number of Masses and hymns."
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is a list of many of the known religious/sacred pieces of Czerny:

• Op. 154, Graduale Pastorale in F major, "Hodie Christus Natus Est", for 4 Voices, 2 Violins, Viola, 2 Clarinets, 2 Horns, Cello, Double Bass, & Organ
    • Op. 155, Exsulta filia Sion : Offertorium pastorale : für vierstimmigen gemischten Chor, Streicher, 2 Oboen oder Klarinetten, 2 Trompeten, Pauken und Orgel, 2 Hörner ad lib.
    • Op. 318, 6 graduals, for SATB and organ
    • Op. 562, Collection of Sacred Music for Voice & Piano
    • Op. 662, Graduale for Soprano & Organ
    • Op. 726, Salve Regina : offertorio per coro con accompagnamento di due violini, viole, violoncello e basso, un flauto, due clarinetti, due fagotti e due corni ed anche con accompagnamento di organo o pianoforte.
    • Op. 737, Benedicat, Offertorio for 4 Voices & Orchestra
    • Op. 757, Offertorio for Soprano & Orchestra
    • Op. 760, Ave Maria, Offertorie for Soprano & Orchestra
    • Op. 784, De Profundis, for Chorus & Small Orchestra
    • Op. 799, 6 Pange Lingua for SATB
    • Op. 812, Offertorium, 'Salva nos Domine', Bass and Organ
    Also:
    • Beatus vir : for SATB voices, a cappella (published by New York : Lawson-Gould Music Publishers ; Miami, Fla. : Warner Bros. Publications [distributor], 2001.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    He also published a set of 6 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 603, and a set of Voluntaries (yes, English-style Voluntaries!), Op. 698. Both sets are published by AR editions.

Here's the D-minor Prelude and Fugue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUkHnXN81Bk
  • This is not meant as a put down of Czerny, nor of his virtuosity, his compositions, nor of his impressive contribution to music, and, in particular, the piano and pianists. I'm asking what is it about composers and musicians in his class, the lesser lights, if you will, that makes their music, no matter how good and commendable it is, it is still 'not Beethoven', or 'not Bach', or 'not Brahms'. etc, etc. What is it that is lacking, what makes it less a masterpiece than the work one of the highest luminaries. I couldn't help but think, as I was listening to the symphony, the concerto, the prelude and fugue, that 'Beethoven would have done that differently, better, or not at all!'; or, to quote a famous film, there were indeed 'too many notes' here and there, and that this and that section was over orchestrated.. (But then, Liszt has the same problem!) We should, of course, accept a music on its own terms and perhaps not compare it to its betters or lessers, but the question remains - what is it lacking, in what way does it not quite reach the heights of Parnassus.

(And thanks to Salieri for starting this. I had no idea of Czerny's contribution to our art outside of technical exercises for the piano. He deserves to be heard more often. Perhaps I should include one of his preludes and fugues in my next recital?)

(I just listened to his String Quartet in D-Minor played by the St Lawrence Quartet. Very good! It is very rewarding to hear.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    MJO: It's hard to say.

Even such important and excellent composers like Pachelbel, Buxtehude, Telemann, Bruhns, Purcell, Charpentier, Couperin, and Lully can get forgotten behind the trinity of Bach-Vivaldi-Handel.

I know in the case of Handel his oratorios had entered the Canon of English music even before his death--a rare example at that time. But, why did Bach and Vivaldi get the special billing rather than the others? But even Bach and Vivaldi were all but forgotten until the mid-to-late 19th century---I think it was just The Well-Tempered Clavier that saved Bach's reputation (but then again, WTC is just Bach's "Op. 299", if you will).

I suspect that when it comes to the 19th century, there is a certain amount of Legend and Hero-worship going on. In his lifetime, Mozart was just considered one of the group of good musicians working in Vienna, along side, Salieri, Eybler, Gasmann, and others. His fame, as we know it today, didn't really begin until after his death when the legends surrounding his early death began to circulate--this also was lucky for F.X. Sussmayr, the most minor or minor composers in Vienna, otherwise he'd be long forgotten, too. Beethoven had his heroic battle against his tragic deafness. Etc.

And people want something new all the time. In one of the YouTube comments on one of the Symphonies, I forget which one, someone made a comment along the lines of "Too bad this wasn't composed 30 years earlier; Mendelssohn was already on the scene when this was written." Many of the good (dare I say, excellent) composers who were still writing in a late-classical/early-romantic style in the mid-19th century, of which Czerny is one, were bound to be forgotten in the inevitable march of progress--after all, it's what happened to Bach!

Also, we tend to remember the highlights of things: we forget that not every work of Mozart is a masterpiece, indeed, some of it is relentlessly boring (I think the Sinfonia Concertante for Violin and Viola is one such piece); but then we listen to Eybler or Hummel and compare there average level of composition with Mozart's highlights. The same with Beethoven: we remember the exciting bits, but forget the moments of bad trumpet-writing, the awkward vocal parts, etc., and then we find fault with the orchestration of his students (Czerny & Moscheles).

In short, I don't know.
  • Liam
    I thought the Late Baroque Trinity was J S Bach-Handel-D Scarlatti....

All people are subject to the birth lottery: to whom we're born, where we're born and when we're born. Would G P de Palestrina have written roughly the same music if he had been born to Leopold Mozart in the mid-18th century? Might he have plowed the quintessential musical terrain of the 18th century (one might say symphony was that of the following century): opera (W A Mozart's genius terrain)? Handel and Scarlatti did plow that terrain, but J S Bach didn't.

Thanked by 1Carol
  • m_r_taylor
    not Brahms

is just fine by me.

(I do love some of his stuff, but I am glad only Brahms writes like Brahms...)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    What is it that is lacking, what makes it less a masterpiece than the work one of the highest luminaries?

There's a recording out there of Czerny's Erlkönig. It's got a lot going for it, actually: sets a bit more of the poem, very dramatic and varigated. But it doesn't have the unbroken directionality of Schubert; where Schubert relaxes the tension, Czerny abandons it. And then we get to the end. In contrast to the mute horror of Schubert's "Das Kind war tot.", Czerny sounds like the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch.
  • Chaswjd
    There is a musicologist whose clips are on YouTube who theorizes that that Czerny’s metronome markings are actually meant to be half as fast as they are usually interpreted. See e.g. https://youtu.be/DO-N-k5-qkI
  • Schönbergian
    Wim Winters and his ideas are a joke and his opinions are not accepted by most of his peers for a very good reason.
  • Schoenbergian

(I don't know Winters, so this is a serious question):

Are Winters' ideas a serious joke, like Peter Schikele's, or are they intended to be serious and only taken to be a joke by those who know the field?
  • Schönbergian
    The latter. Without going into a thorough dissertation, suffice to say that his black-and-white view of the matter makes zero sense in about half the music of the period, and no explanation can be offered for this inconsistency. Yet Winters insists he is right nonetheless.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Without wishing to start an argument:

1) The theory is extremely controversial.

2) Wim Winters's theory is actually Lorenz Gadient's theory, as outlined in his treatise Takt und Pendelschlag: which is that the metronome indications given by many, though not all, 19th century composers, such as Beethoven, Czerny, Moscheles, Hummel, Schumann, Chopin, and others, used the so-called "Metrical Use" of the metronome, wherein the note-value given in the metronome equation gives the Takt (Time), and the number the speed of the Taktheile (Parts of the Time), so that two ticks of the metronome (a left and a right together) form a unity. E.g. If the metronome equation is half=108, this is to be interpreted as quarter-note 108, with each tick representing a quarter-note of the two-fold unity of the half-note. This is called the "Double-beat" theory. This theory jumps-off from the work of Willem Talsma.

3) This theory isn't a 'joke' in anything other an a colloquial meaning of the word, i.e. as being an object of ridicule. The theory is taken quite seriously by its proponents, Gadient and Winters, and a number of adherents.

4) L. Gadient is not the only one to think this way: Marcel Punt (writing under the Pseudonym: Henrico Stewen) published his doctoral thesis: "The Straube Code" on the metronome marks of Reger, he also wrote a paper on the metronome marks of Franck; conductor Maximianno Cobra, a student of Talsma, also has a similar theory, which he calls the "Tempus" theory; there is also a similar theory by Dutch conductor Harke de Roos.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Even Widor railed against those who played his works too fast. Makes sense in those huge French churches because the reverb would muddle the notes together and clarity would be lost. Bach's son also commented that his father's organ playing was slow and stately. American church acoustics which are often dry and lacking reverb probably contribute to modern organists racing to the barn before the storm hits when playing the older music. My organ professor often said that when playing, to let the music breathe.

If anyone has played one of the typical old, old trackers not rebuilt with more modern materials and machining, it can be quickly seen that some can be a bit cumbersome and slow. Those instruments are much more playable today than they were 300 years ago.
    Thanked by 2Salieri Carol
  • SalieriSalieri
    Bach's son also commented that his father's organ playing was slow and stately.

Jacques van Oortmerssen (+2015) maintained that the passagework in works of the Stylus Fantasticus (the general style of organ Fantasias, Toccatas, & Praeludia in the Buxtehude-Bruhns-Bach school) should be played con discrezione: with discretion/modesty; that is, rhetorically, deliberately, following the accentuation of the line (which is not necessarily that of the meter/time-signature), without undue haste; it isn't there for virtuosity's sake.
  • nknutson
    Secular, but one of my favorite works of the entire piano repertoire is Czerny's Variations on a Theme by Rode "La Ricordanza" Op. 33. Really shows his virtuosity and high sense of musicality.

Audiohttps://youtu.be/JgWWAGzB6lQ
    Scorehttps://imslp.org/wiki/Variations_on_a_theme_by_Rode,_Op.33_(Czerny,_Carl)
  • ViolaViola
    Are Czerny's sacred works available anywhere?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I didn't find any on IMSLP, and cpdl was down. Scorser gives me these:
    http://en.scorser.com/I/Sheet+music/200461795.html
    http://en.scorser.com/I/Sheet+music/200110039.html
    Nothing at Gallica or MDZ.
    J. Butz has published Cantate Domino, Jubilate Deo, Hodie Christus natus est, Prope est Dominus
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • SalieriSalieri
    On IMSLP only one setting of Pange Lingua is available, in a collection of Sacred Music compilined by Rosewig: Concentus Sacri, pg. 143: But there is says "Arr. from Czerny" (emphasis added); not having seen Czerny's set of Page Lingua settings, I don't know how much arranging Rosewig did---this might even be an arrangement for voices of an instrumental piece.

http://ks.petruccimusiclibrary.org/files/imglnks/usimg/7/73/IMSLP394350-PMLP638204-Rosewig_concentus_sacri.pdf
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • SalieriSalieri
    My copy of Czerny's Preludes and Fugues, Opp. 603 & 607 (AR Editions, ed. Iain Quinn) arrived today; and I just finished playing through the whole volume (obviously sight-reading, and not ready for performance). Here are my initial impressions:

Firstly, the volume itself is impressive with a wealth of historical and editorial information. Also interesting are the stop-lists for several important organs in England and Vienna from Czerny's time as a guide for registration choices, rather than specifics for each piece. This also proves helpful for registering the works of Mendelssohn, Parry, et al.

Of the works themselves, Czerny shows off here his mastery of the organ (his father was an organist, as was Czerny himself), and counterpoint. Czerny edited editions of Bach's "Well Tempered Clavier" and "Art of the Fugue", and these pieces are the work of someone with a thorough knowledge of Bachian counterpoint, and a master composer.

These are not just good works of the Post-Bach generation (such as the Praeludia of Johann Christian Kittel, JSB's last student), but they belong in the same league as Mendelssohn's "Preludes and Fugues". The huge Prelude and Fugue in A Minor, Op. 607 is particularly outstanding: especially the monumental double fugue.

Czerny's organ works were composed with an English audience in mind (they are dedicated to George Elvey, private organist to Queen Victoria and Organist of St. George's Chapel, Windsor), and Czerny took that opportunity to present to the public one of the few "serious" works that were published and performed in his lifetime---the majority of his serious compositions (the 2nd-6th symphonies, piano concerti, Masses, graduals, offertories, etc.) were composed "for the desk drawer", having been frowned upon by the conservative Viennese public and the censors after the Congress of Vienna---Czerny's 1st Symphony, in fact, was so derided by the public and censors for its experimentation and avant-garde qualities that the Geselschaft der Musikfreunde destroyed the orchestral parts after the premierre!

I highly recommend these pieces.
  • vansensei
    He also has a four-hand piano transcription of Mozart's Requiem, believe it or not.

It's quite nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QhcTku21ck
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    A few years ago, the Phipps Choral Society sang the Mozart Requiem with the Czerny 4-hand piano transcription. It was very nice indeed!
  • ghmus7
    Frankly I am tired of the dominance of composers like Beethoven, (especially in this year) admittedly a great, but we so lose out of the richness of many fine lesser composers.
  • ghmus7
    Thank you Salieri for your insight...and your username is perfect for this discussion!