Pentecost Extended Vigil, Alleluia
  • Richard R.
    For the extended Vigil of Pentecost, are we supposed to use the three-fold Alleluia like the Easter Vigil (as the old Graduale indicates) with the verse Veni Sancte Spiritus (Come, Holy Spirit)? or do we just use the Alleluia from the simple (existing) Pentecost Vigil? The online Roman Missal and USCCB site do not make this clear. What does the current Lectionary say?
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Not at home, so I don’t have my books, but I’m pretty sure it’s the latter (existing vigil Alleluia).
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The Graduale Novum II indicates the following (p. 463):

Post V lectionem:
    AL Veni Sancte Spiritus (GR 253)
    vel:
    AL Dum complerentur (GR 250)
  • Richard R.
    Thanks. I do need to know what the English Missal specifically has to say.
  • a_f_hawkins
    In England the Missal says - after the 4th reading prayer the Gloria, the Collect, the reading from the Apostle (sic) and continue Mass as usual.
    That means the spoken(sung) Acclamation is : R.Alleluia, alleluia! Come, Holy Spirit, fill ... of your love. R.Alleluia!
  • Richard R.
    Thanks. I see in the Liber that for the old Vigil Mass, while they do refer back to Confitemini of Easter Vigil, they also specify the Alleluia is not repeated. So I was confused.
  • PLTT
    The former Pentecost Vigil and the revised Extended Vigil are two different things. The former one was consciously patterned on the Easter Vigil, with the duplication of many elements (some repeated lessons, blessing of the font, etc.). The new one is completely different from the Easter Vigil, being a Mass extended either through the celebration of Vespers or an Extended Liturgy of the Word.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Liam
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    being a Mass extended either through the celebration of Vespers or an Extended Liturgy of the Word

Or both.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Indeed, the CTS People's Missal begins the Extended Vigil by setting out the rubrics on combining it with Vespers.