Organ on Missa de Angelis?
  • ghunter
    We are using Missa de Angelis for an upcoming Diaconate Ordination. Our choir is strong and sounds fantastic on the Mass Parts. I'm hesitant to add the organ because it seems so much purer without. But I don't want to lessen the grandness of the occasion.

Any suggestions one way or the other? Is organ more liturgically appropriate on a solemn Mass such as this? Or is chant by default to be sung a capella if possible?

Thanks
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Watch out, here comes my opinion:

The Gloria is part of the ordinary. The congregation/assembly/people/whatever should be encouraged to sing the ordinary. They are more apt to sing in tune and in time if they are accompanied led by the organist. You don't want the congregation to drag down your pitch nor slow your tempo.

You should feel free to accompany chant as needed, especially if you're expecting congregational participation.

I served as organist/choirmaster at a NO parish which sang various Gregorian ordinaries for the majority of the year, and I always accompanied them (except after the Gloria on Holy Thursday).
  • You must judge this with your knowledge of your own people and the expected congregation in mind. There is no absolute answer to your question that would be applicable in every instance.

Irishtenor makes some very good points, and his warnings may be wisely heeded if you think they necessarily apply to your situation.

On the other hand, I have heard congregations of two or three hundred persons sing the ordinary of the mass (including creed and our Father) in tune, in time, as one voice - all this without an organ. I have witnessed and/or led such groups with the help of a choir, or with only me leading.

If you think that the organ is not necessary for the successful performance of the congregation, then I would say, definitely do not use it. If you use it it is only doing what the choir are supposed to be doing.

If you think that it will be a disaster without the organ, by all means use it. (But only if you think it is absolutely needful.)

If your choir are as good as you say they are, I would tend to think the organ would only muddy things up. By all means, let your choir lead the people - that is one of the things they are there for. Your choir should be able to keep the chant buoyant. (And you need to train them to listen only to themselves and follow you. It only takes one person to break ranks and follow some of the congregation to make a disaster. If your choir are a solid unity the congregation will follow the choir. If your choir are solid there is really no absolute need for an organ.)

Another thing that occurs to me is that, if the organ is used on this solemn occasion, having it play only the melody line for one phrase and parallel organum for another phrase would certainly 'dress up' the chant for such a festive liturgy.
  • chonakchonak
    It might be good to encourage the congregation to take turns with the choir, line by line: bring up the organ for the congregation, back off for the choir.
  • ghunter
    Update for anyone who’s interested... We did it fully a cappella and it was fantastic. The people sang more than anyone knew they could. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
  • Bravo
    and
    Kudos
    Never sell the people short
    Always give them something to live up to -
    (Not, as too many do, give them something to live down to.)
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Glad to hear that, @ghunter! Sounds like a wonderful celebration!
  • a_f_hawkins
    People like to conform/join in, especially when united already by some common bond. As a PIP, if I know the words, and the tune, and the pitch, and the tempo, and which bits I am expected to sing, then I will sing; many others will do the same. If singing a capella the PIPs will gain confidence from one another. It works with a football crowd, or a squad of soldiers too.
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK