Computer font question
  • I have Finale (2014).

I want to typeset some things in Gregorian neumes.

I need a 3-rd party font.

I lack unlimited funds.

Does anyone know of a good (or, at least, respectable) font available for as little cost as possible?
  • chonakchonak
    Is it important for the project that you use Finale?

If not, you can consider using Gregorio (available through the web, and fairly easy to use), or the Meinrad fonts.

For example, here's a sample work already engraved using Gregorio: https://gregobase.selapa.net/chant.php?id=2290
  • francis
    Are you Mac or pc? I can send you a couple of free fonts. Pm me.
  • Chonak,

Finale is the program I already have.

Francis,

Thank you for those suggestions. I'll be in touch by private message.

PC or Mac? (I'm tempted to say something dismissively sarcastic, but I'll resist!)
    I have a PC.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, the Finale Medieval add-on only costs $224.
  • Chonak,

I don't attach the word "only" to $224.
  • chonakchonak
    :-)

Well, as I was saying, it's possible to use Gregorio over the web without installing it, so I recommend it as a relatively easy and free option.

There are free Gregorian fonts available: Festa Dies, Caecilia, the Meinrad fonts; but they are made for use in a word-processor, not for Finale.
  • francis
    PC or Mac? (I'm tempted to say something dismissively sarcastic, but I'll resist!)
    I have a PC.
    my condolences

Condolences (from Latin con (with) + dolere (sorrow)) are an expression of sympathy to someone who is experiencing pain arising from death, deep mental anguish, or misfortune.[1]

The “Gates” of hell will not prevail against us.
  • CGM
    I think the easiest way to set neums is with Adam Bartlett's Illuminare Score Editor, a free web-based interface which uses GABC input. It can generate PDF's (which I then convert to PNG's), as well as EPS files. Once you've got the neums saved in a graphical format (like PNG or EPS), you can import them into Finale using Finale's Graphics Tool.

Attached are two GABC primers, to help get you started.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen chonak
  • Francis,

Condolences accepted, but wasn't there a famous incident with an Apple in a garden?

I should add, by the way, that although I'm not a computer geek by any stretch of the imagination, I use Libre Office (for all my document needs; I haven't figured out how to have an operating system without Apple or Microsoft yet) for documents.

For what it's worth: Who names a computer for a heavy, unfashionable raincoat?
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • francis
    Chris

Just pulling your leg... in 1990 I took a byte of the Apple and never repented...
  • Aha! So that's your original sin?

{Smirks off stage. I'm glad we can rib each other now and again.}