Quirky notes on scores?
  • On a light-hearted note, what is the most ridiculous thing you've had to write for yourself at the top of a score? I just had to scribble "don't fall asleep" at the head of my Easter Sunday prelude (a sweet little organ arrangement of "Air on the G String") because it's so peaceful that I find myself daydreaming, and then I don't know where I am in the score when I snap out of it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I generally don't write much of anything. My predecessor had, I think, Alzheimer's at an early age because anything she touched is scribbled all over. Must have had a terrible memory. It is annoying to try and wade through someone else's markings especially if they are notes at the end of a page like, "turn." I could never fall asleep during the "G String" although it is peaceful and I do like it. I always visualize good old J.S.wearing a G string. Not a pretty picture.
    Thanked by 2Carol trentonjconn
  • Aside from the usual "remind choir about dynamics" note, I have occasionally written "Don't Use! tenors can't handle this one."
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Carol CCooze
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    When I was in Leipzig in 1994 the opera was reviving Salome. The orchestral parts were the originals from Vienna, and in the double bass was scrawled "nur eine Halbestunde noch" (only half an hour to go).
  • CatherineS
    Petrus' note about tenors is similar to one I have on a hymn: Don't use. Father X doesn't like this one.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • On top of a copy of the Latin Litany of the Saints for Easter Vigil, I found "The faster we sing it, the faster it will be over." No one has fessed up to it yet...
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Viola
  • ViolaViola
    At the top of Pater Noster: Move it!
    (Our PP hates chant to be slow)
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Charles - when I first heard about the “Air on a G String”, I thought that meant Gypsy Rose Lee was hanging her laundry out to dry. (I know, I’ve said this one before, but couldn’t resist.)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I usually draw eyeballs in my score to notate where in particular myself and the choir need to pay particular attention. My art skills need work, though - they usually end up looking like “The Crawling Eye”.

Speaking of which, could all of you keep me in you prayers for a speedy recovery? My spring allergies have been catastrophic this year and led to one of the worst cases of conjunctivitis I’ve had in decades. As epic as it may be, I don’t want to have to wear an eyepatch for Palm Sunday’s procession. (Nick Fury: Agent for Solesmes?)
  • CharlesW
    You have my sympathy and prayers. Allergies are horrid this season and half my singers are choked up. I have said I should buy stock in the company that makes Flonase. Being in East Tennessee, the allergy capital of the world, doesn't help.