Odd notation
  • Andrew_Malton
    We are rehearsing de Morales (+1553) Missa super it re mi fa so la, in the 1964 Anglés edition from IMSLP

The edition is normal and useable, but in the Agnus there are two instances of a notation none of us has ever seen or can guess at the meaning of. It appears on the bass line. I'd describe it as "upside down capital J with diaeresis". Picture attached.

Can anyone help?

• rich_enough
    The sign marks the beginning and end of the canon between Tenor I and Bass.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Why that sign, though? Is it used for this purpose regularly?
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Actually that looks like a neum in a German Graduale I was consulted on once. The flag of the virga was curled on the top and bottom, like a candy cane. Fascinating.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JL
    It's a stylized R, for "reprise", usually to mark the repeating part of a canon or the petite reprise at the end of a strophe. It also looks a bit like two eyes and a nose, so in grad school we called it a Waldo (as in, "Where's Waldo?")
  • Andrew_Malton
    Under the term "petite reprise" and "reprise" I have found some convincing examples, thank-you, @JL.

In this piece, though, it's hard for me to see how to interpret them as reprise marks, because neither the text nor the rhythm seem to propose reprising the whole Agnus as indicated. Could they mean anything else?