Pre-1955 Holy Week chants
  • CharlesSA
    May as well try asking this here. I probably have exhausted the available sources, so I am asking if anyone knows where I can find the chants for the pre-1955 Holy Week complete with Solesmes markings. The 1908 Roman Gradual does not have them; is there a pre-1955 version Holy Week book that has them? The version of the Liber that I have put in the new Holy Week, so many/most are the same chants, with the Solesmes markings, but I do not know where to find the chants that were no longer needed for the revised version. Thank you and God bless.
  • Carolus16
    The Liber Brevior was published before the 1955 reforms. https://media.musicasacra.com/books/liberbrevior.pdf
  • JesJes
    @CharlesSA I know some people who could help you out.
    I need some time to get in touch with them as they are interstate.
    But it could be worthwhile contacting them. I am guessing you want these for this year? I shall do my best to be swift.
  • @Cantus67 has been working on some resources. Perhaps he'll chime in?
    Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • tomjaw
    @CharlesSA

Try here, http://www.fidelitybooks.com.au/Hugh/ (scroll down)

I have booklets made for some of the days with suggested hymns / motets, pm me and I can e-mail them. We have been doing the full pre-55 holy week for many years.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • madorganist
    The Institute website has chants for the pre-55 Holy Week. As for the Liber brevior, it has the Bugnini reformed Easter Vigil, but the rest of Holy Week is pre-55. You can buy a reprint of the 1952 Liber from St. Bonaventure Publications at libers.com.
  • madorganist
    Also, Dom Cardine's Graduel nuemé, which has the rhythmic markings and the St. Gall neumes.
  • Carolus16
    I saw that the Brevior includes the reformed Vigil, but I’m not sure what the actual differences are; unlike the post-55 Vigil, the Mass in the Brevior still ends with Vespers instead of Lauds, and the Litany of the Saints is still doubled.
  • madorganist
    As far as the chant is concerned, nothing except what you're already mentioned (the Litany, and Lauds vs. Vespers after Communion) and the placement of the Sicut cervus. There are twelve prophecies in the traditional rite, but only the same three/four tracts.
  • CharlesSA
    Thank you all for your help...I will look at all of the links provided when I have Internet access other than on my phone (which has quite limited data). Also, in my original post I meant to say that "I probably have NOT exhausted the available sources" and of course I was right about that. I occasionally use the Institute's page for printing off propers, so I am not sure why I did not check there.

Yes, it is for this year, and for Palm Sunday only, so it is literally only a matter of 3 or 4 chants. I am in a situation, at a diocesan parish, that would not allow for the Triduum to be celebrated in either pre or "restored." So I will be traveling elsewhere to experience a full pre-1955 Triduum (but unfortunately probably not Mon-Wed) for the first time ever.

Thank you all again - many blessings!

-Charles
  • Just FYI, one of the features of the music scores on the Institute's Sacred Music Page is their small file size. For example the file for the pre-1955 Palm Sunday processional chants is 19 pages, but less than a megabyte.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Hey, here's another FYI, the Pre-1955 Palm Sunday Processional files at OLMC have ALL the Chants, ALL the prayers, INSTRUCTIONS in true rubrics (red), have TRANSLATIONS of all the prayers and readings, Is 32 PAGES LONG, has ADDED MUSIC for the procession if it goes long, ARE LESS THAN A MEGABYTE, ARE FREE, AND ARE COPYRIGHT FREE!!!!!! You can download them and use them in your liturgical programs, you can post them online and use them in any way you wish so long as original credit is given to Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Littleton, CO. Here's a link to that very document.

http://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZbizbNb6EpX7kAzVzZ8akqQDTSKNM0Xh/view?usp=sharing
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    And sorry it took so long to respond here. Dear wife had surgery and I was quite busy taking care of her and 8 KIDS!!!
    OH, and if you find an error give me a message and I'll be glad to fix that. We've been updating and editing for years on this project and will be continuing to update for years to come. Our site not only has nearly all of the chant of the church year but also polyphony for you to use as well and dozens of copyright free materials. You can access all of that here...
    https://www.olmcfssp.org/index.php/olmc/music
  • CharlesSA
    @Cantus67 Thank you! I will look at it tomorrow. My situation is that I and 2 others - 2 teenage boys, actually, 16 and 19 - are responsible for the music. My "work" the last few months has been helping them at their fledgling traditional boarding school to have High Masses every week. That is one reason why I can only do Palm Sunday - the boys will be gone from Wednesday of Holy week to Monday after Easter Octave. That and the fact that practically, having the whole Triduum at the parish church we are borrowing (since their school buildings are not complete/usable) would not be possible. In any case we have only been focusing on the chants.

God bless you and your family!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Cantus67
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    @CharlesSA Let me know if I can help in any way. I'm grateful to Our Lord that I can offer such charity. Anything I can do to help, I will.

Rick Wheeler
    Denver/Littleton CO.

Thanked by 1Incardination
  • a_f_hawkins
    @Cantus67 that sounds like a great resource, but the page says
    To get to the Chants for the Church year click on “Gregorian” below,
    and I can't find anything to click on!
    Also, the links you gave us above don't work properly, when putting a link on the page -
    EITHER just type in the link URL and leave the forum software to set it up for you
    OR use the link box to give it a pseudonym, but DO NOT mix these options.
  • a_f, if you paste the link into the URL of the browser, it then goes to resource. But, yes, as you say, clicking the link directly just brings back this discussion thread.
    Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • JesJes
    @CharlesSA defs go with the fidelitybooks link reccommended by @Tomjaw
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    @a_f_hawkins, got it, the music page at OLMC has a calendar and links to the left of that calendar which should bring you to the google doc sharing page. That's where the click on "Gregorian" thing comes from. It may need to be updated but I'll take a look. Sadly, I'm NOT a programmer. OR is that, Deo Gratias that I'm not a programmer.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • a_f_hawkins
    Ah, now I understand, thanks. I used to be a programmer, but 50 years ago, when computers were a lot less complicated.
  • madorganist
    I'm a day late and a dollar short, but there's also the 1932 Liber in modern notation:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/811fz1v2aoj8rpd/AABNFveWbKOs9vhff8By2Yuja/Liber%20usualis%201932%20MN.pdf?dl=0