What's some of your favorite organ repertoire?
  • I use an 8' French Trumpet stop on the swell for the solo, and three 8' stops and a 4' (I want to say 8' foundations and 4' flute, but I can't remember and my music is at the church) on the great for everything else. I can never get enough of it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ...(I want to say...
    This registration sounds odd. Three 8' stops and a 4' flute for the accompanying-echo part? I would suggest only an 8' principal, or, perhaps an 8' flute and a 4' principal, or even (depending on the powerr of the trumpet) only flutes 8' and 4'. Using a 4' flute on top of 8' principals is not generally recommendable.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I was wrong: 8' Diapson, 8' Harmonic Flute, 8' Flute Celeste II, and 4' Octave. I originally had just the three 8' stops, but added the 4' a bit ago.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • This all depends on the loudness of your trumpet stop. The lone diapason 8' is all that you should use. If your diapason is one of those overpowering ones, just use the 8' flute and maybe the 4' one too. Do not use the celeste on music of this period. You want a nice clean sound that can play both the echo and the left-hand bass line - assuming that you have only two manuals.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I agree with MJO -- I'd stay away from the celeste.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Matilda
    I did order the HWalcha book, MJO, and I'm learning the piece based on"oh dearest Jesus what law has thou broken" , the one with the gloomy threatening repetitive pedal line. I'm so happy ( actually the piece is so evocatively sad) but I wish they'd let me play it on Good Friday. I'm afraid that's out. But thAnks so much for the suggestions!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Hmmm. Can you play it as an intro to the hymn then sing it? One has to get a bit foxy with some of those regulations, especially since so much really good Lenten music exists.
    Thanked by 1Matilda
  • Matilda
    Yes I'm so frustrated- it isn't a hymn our parish uses and I cannot solo, well, let's just say if I sang that as a solo it would really make A very painful penitential experience for everyone. Maybe I can sneak it in elsewhere, I can act like I don't know the rules ! Thanks Charles!
  • Matilda
    Could it be slipped in on Holy Thursday?
  • CharlesW
    I often put the chorale prelude, which is what many of the pieces are, as introductions, as I noted. I also will have the choir sing a couple of verses, then play the piece, then finish with another couple of verses. It serves two purposes. It lets me play a lovely composition, and it also lengthens the "anthem" to fill empty time.

I suppose you could use it Holy Thursday. Our communion is lengthy at times, and extra cover is often needed.
    Thanked by 1Matilda
  • Matilda
    Yes we have lengthy periods on Holy ppenThursday. Good idea. Choir director not receptive to many of my ideas so singing with this is probably not gonna happen.