Propers for weekday?
  • Heath
    We'll be having a Mass in Latin tomorrow (Novus Ordo) for my Children's Schola. It's an Easter weekday and the feast of St. Bernardine of Siena. My question: which Propers do I use, for the weekday (most of which are drawn from the preceding Sunday (Easter 6)) or for St. Bernard? I know of the "hierarchy" for Sundays (i.e. which Solemnities replace a regular Sunday), but I don't know how it works for weekdays . . .

Tx,
    Heath
  • Jevoro
    Normaly i follow the choice of the priest. He comemorates the saint, so i sing the saints proper (even if he keeps the lectures of the week), and when he doesn't mention the saint, i sing the proper of the day, generaly the proper of the preceding sunday. Sorry for my english.
  • Heath
    So is it just the whim of the priest/liturgist/etc.? Surely there is some sort of official guideline for this?
  • chonakchonak
    St. Bernardine of Siena's observance is an obligatory memorial, so it outranks the Easter weekday.

Do you have a Graduale Romanum? It lists the propers for the day.
  • Chonak,
    The resources I have show May 20, St Bernardine of Siena as an optional memorial, not obligatory. For propers, this would mean the priest (or maybe the pastor/rector of the church?) can decide whether to offer the memorial or the Easter weekday. In either case, the propers are given in the Graduale Romanum. For memorials generally, as Jevoro noted, the readings for Mass follow the weekday cycle, in this case, for the Easter season.
  • Jevoro
    P.S. Choicing propers, we too often forget what the praenotanda (of Graduale Romanum= praenotanda of Ordo cantus missae N.O.) tells to us:

"...semper liceat, iis, qui maluerint, ... melodias neo-gregorianas retinere et cantare. Nulla enim ex plane expungitur e Graduali Romani."

(You always have the choice keep singing the neo-gregorian pieces of the old Graduale Romanum of wich no song has been delated.)

That does mean Missa "Os justi" for St Bernardine of Siena, or even the proper fransiscain mass of the Graduale romanum-seraphicum for this saint.

Sorry for my english.
  • chonakchonak
    Oops! Sorry for my mistake; and thanks to David for the correction.