• SalieriSalieri
    This is excellent.

Someone recently opined: "Do we really need another collection of Responsorial Psalms?" May answer to that is: "No."--if we are talking about the usual fare. HOWEVER: if you were to put together a collection of Responsorial Psalms setting the verses in this fashion, then my answer will be a resounding "YES!!"

I hope to use this on Lent II this year.
    Thanked by 2MarkB Heath
  • davido
    Excellent! IMHO this is the appropriate style for responsorial psalms.

Melodic verses emphasize the text better, as Haugen et al have demonstrated. I have always felt that aside from the irreverence of the contemporary style, Haugen and Co psalms had s better grasp of the psalm as a musical institution than the pedestrian Alstott settings.

So this one is musical and reverent. Hurrah!
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think you should rework "do not in anger repel your servant." It doesn't have the same flow as most of the rest of the piece.
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • MarkB
  • SalieriSalieri
    Having sung through this a bit, I will echo the feeling about the flow of Verse 3. Verse 3 is more syllabic than the other verses, and seems to get bogged down on the tonic, with a lot of down-ward motion. I would suggest a reworking of the entirety of verse 3, not just the phrase "do not...". Something along the lines of the attached might work, I don't know. (Obviously, its up to you.)

Never the less, this is an excellent setting, and I would definitely like to see more of these--perhaps a whole collection of this type of Responsorial Psalm--this is certainly the direction that we need to move in.

(c4)Your(d) pre(h)sence,(g) O(h) Lord,(ji) I(g) seek.(h.) (:) Hide(d) not(f) your(g) face(fe) from(d) me;(e.) (;) do(g) not(f) in(g) an(ixhi)ger(h) re(g)pel(ef) your(e) ser(d.)vant.(d.) (:) You(dh) are(h) my(g) help(ji)er;(h.) (;) cast(hg) me(ef) not(cd) off.(d.) (::)
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • MarkB
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Heath
    MarkB, excellent! A whole cycle's worth of these, please! : )
    Thanked by 1CCooze