A job posting I'd like to see, just once.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    To set the stage, I take at random the following posting that I found over at the "Hotline" webpage of our friends at the NPM:

St. ____ is a vibrant Catholic parish of 1,500 households in [a large, Midwestern metropolitan city] committed to the reforms of the Second Vatican Council. Full-time position to direct a long-standing music program of high quality: 65 vocalists and instrumentalists and a five-octave hand bell choir. Three weekend liturgies, weddings, funerals. The repertoire is integrated, including traditional, contemporary, and classical music. Steinway Concert Grand and Ahlborn-Galanti Chronicler II. Formal musical training, keyboard and choir skills, and knowledge of Catholic liturgy.

The obvious buzzwords are in evidence, "vibrant" and "committed to the reforms of the Second Vatican Council." Of course, that all depends on which take on the reforms you've signed on with. I'm committed to the reforms, as elucidated and described by Benedict XVI, etc.

Apropos of another thread on this board, notice the Steinway Concert Grand takes pride of place over the organ, in this case a digital/MIDI simulator from Galanti.

I've asked this before, but I'll ask it again. When was the last time you ran across a posting that read as follows:

St. _____ is an orthodox Catholic parish of 1,500 households in [a large metropolitan area, suburb, etc.] committed to the application of music and liturgical practices that adhere to the received tradition and mind of the Church. Multiple choirs and scholas with a high degree of commitment to learning and perfecting the singing of chant and polyphony. The repertoire is in keeping with the patrimony of the Church. 3-manual pipe organ in rear gallery. Formal musical training, organ and choral training skills, and commitment to the teachings of the Faith a must.

We can always hope, can't we?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    David Andrew -

Your suspicions in this case are correct; I know exactly which church posted that ad, and I am familiar with it. Keep on looking. Not a place you want to be.

A source that would know definativly told me that the organ was installed because "people wanted it for weddings". The former music director is said to have commented "if I start using it all the time, they'd string me up."

Now, "vibrant" isn't ALWAYS a buzz word to avoid (though usually it probably is). I would say my parish is "vibrant" and "active". But we also do good music ...
  • No, 'vibrant' has gone beyond being a simple buzz-word to being a cliche/verbal tic.
  • Felipe Gasper
    Right: a parish can be “vibrant” and “active” while using a fine organ and having a well-trained choir.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Here's another one:

Fundraising skills are desirable. Wurlitzer 2-manual electronic organ. Kimball baby grand piano. Competitive salary. HLP-7308. (Posted 05/01/09)
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Equally puzzling...one in which they are seeking a full-time organist-director. In the most recent parish bulletin, the full-time deacon of 9 1/2 years writes that he regrets having to leave, but the financial situation is so dire that they cannot afford to keep him on. Leaving the parish with just a pastor.

Not sure I'd want to relocate there....
  • GavinGavin
    I've played for a Funeral before on one of those electric home organs. It had a full pedalboard, but besides that it was something you'd find under a dust cover in an 80 year old woman's living room. Complete with Salsa tape rhythm system! Quite a traditional parish too, I recall...
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Actually, the one that says "Fundraising skill desirable" sounds quite attractive. They could be alluding to building a new organ.
  • ghmus7
    Well, David, I did see an ad fairly close to that at the cathdral in Shreveport, did you look into that?
  • BruceL
    Give it ten years, and I think we'll see a lot more. How interesting is it, though, that we are now seeing ads for diocesan directors of liturgy which ask for fidelity to the Magisterium...THAT is a trend that will certainly influence the other job ads in a very positive way!
  • Does CMAA help prepare one to become a 'baptismal call inviter'?
    I recently saw an advert that hoped to find such a person.