Not all weddings are from hell
  • Lawrence
    I just got back into the house from probably the most enjoyable wedding for which I've ever been a musician, which was held at the magnificent Shrine of St. Rita in Philadelphia.

Several months ago, some friends of mine approached me about playing for this wedding; they were paying for the music as a gift to the bride and groom. They asked for a vocal quartet in addition to the usual organ music. They bankrolled the whole thing in such fashion to allow for the hiring of the best singers, which I might add was crucial to the success of this endeavor. It was really quite magnanimous, and it was encouraging to see this. (N.B. It seems like most people assume that those who make such financial commitments are "rich." Not necessarily so. They're just dedicated.)

This is the repertoire we did:

A. Scarlatti Exsultate Deo
    Victoria Quam pulchri sunt
    Arcadelt Ave Maria (btw, it's much more interesting in a broad alle breve)
    Lasso Jubilate Deo

The Victoria was the processional, and it was a fantastic moment; amazing really. ("How lovely are thy steps, o daughter of the prince; your neck is like ivory.....") I don't think I've ever experienced anything quite like this. Those who were present expressed sincere appreciation for all this music.

I am quite grateful to the benefactors of the music for this event; truly they have done their part in bringing good music into the church. I am no less grateful to the singers, who sounded incredible. This seems like a fantastic idea to share with others so that more weddings can be heavenly such as this one was. Perhaps this is an idea we can plant in the right heads around the table this year at Thanksgiving or Christmas...
  • GavinGavin
    My weddings have all been rather pleasant. The usual problem is just the line, "I want a traditional wedding, with Here Comes the Bride!" I'm sick of Canon in D as well, but again that's a minor issue.

My first one, however, was great. The family was very understanding of it being my first time, AND the bride was a musician. Her friend sang "exultate jubilate" by Mozart for the prelude, with the "Alleluia" movement at the procession. They gave me free reign with the organ music, with the exception of the recessional, which was a lovely Handel concerto movement.

I've yet to have a bad wedding, but I'm pretty relaxed about things. So long as it isn't something from off the radio or broadway, I go with the flow. If anything, I'm just getting tired of couples who are indecisive!
  • francis
    Does anyone know of a good website where I can send prospective couples to be married in order to listen and choose appropriate selections of music for the liturgy? I get tired of sitting and playing through them all.
  • chonakchonak
    Have you ever considered making up a CD with the samples? The computer is your friend.
  • GavinGavin
    Francis, I do as Chonak suggests. I have my laptop with MP3s of everything and then if the couple can't decide, I put their favorites on a CD and give it to them so they can quickly decide. Hasn't worked so far, as I've only had one wedding since I came up with it and my laptop battery died during the conference, but it seems good in principle!
  • francis
    Well, it was my first idea since I am a MacIdiot, but in the midst of music program madness, it is low on the priority list. That's why I was looking for an easy out.
  • chonakchonak
    For that matter, you can even make up your web site once you have MP3 files.

Maybe I should try to get some web consulting gigs out of this.
  • I'm not certain of this, but I believe I have seen a CD of wedding music by Naxos which one would expect to have good suggestions. Perhaps such a CD of appropriate choral, solo, and organ music could be made under the auspices of the CMAA and made available for a modest fee. Members could record and submit choral, solo, organ, and liturgical music which they believe would be appropriate, and an editorial committee could choose the best for making the CD, arrange the pieces in appropriate order and produce the CD for sale (at cost?) to CMAA members and prospective brides & grooms. Also! to give to pastors and priests! It would have sections devoted to the instrumental and sung music before the Liturgy; choral, solo, and instrumental music of the Liturgy itself, including visits (if any) to shrines of the BVM; and, finally, the Dismissal. Thus, rather that have to play two dozen pieces from which for the couple to choose, one can just play the (fine) pieces that have already been chosen and reflected upon..
  • mjballoumjballou
    As someone who derives a great deal of my living from weddings, I find the biggest problem couples have is way too many choices and way too many places to look.

Give them a small set of samples to choose from - and have those samples in the format they'll hear. If it's going to be an organ, make sure they're not listening to a string quartet or the London Philharmonic. (Duh!)

When one of my nieces was married several years ago at the Episcopal cathedral in San Francisco, she was given a list with three choices max for each section. And she was fine with that. Her interest (as is most brides) was focused on her attendants, flowers, hors d'oeuvres, etc.

Make it easy for them - and you make it easy for yourself. Act like the expert you are.
  • francis
    We could definitely create and provide a great resource in a CD here. I have all the facility to do this, but no time at the moment. Perhaps this is something we should do in the near future. I think we should also make it a double CD set. You know that little trick when you turn it over and upside down? Well the other half should be for funerals!
  • I always send wedding couples here:

http://www.stclementchurch.org/worship/sacraments/weddings/music.php

It's the closest I've seen to an ideal repertory list for weddings.
  • francis
    Daniel:

Bingo! Thanks tons!
  • francis
    here is a simple hymn text that I composed to a familiar tune for the last wedding i played. feel free to use it. Please keep copyright in tact. thnx. This is a postcript typeset file, so it will print excellently or import easily into a page layout program.

www.romancatholicsacredmusic.com/pourYourLove.pdf
  • BruceL
    Ditto to Daniel. That's the best site I've seen; I know it may not be full of wonderful polyphony, but within the realm of the "usual suspects" it can save me a lot of time in wedding consultations.
  • chonakchonak
    francis posted:
    www.romancatholicsacredmusic.com/pourYourLove.pdf

I like it. Could we add another five verses to this and make it a short course in the theology of the body? :-)

(in 8.7.8.7 meter, of course)
  • 6 months later I found this thread and am so grateful! Thanks especially to Daniel & Francis for the links. Very, very helpful! This group is such a marvelous resource.