• Matilda
    Who sets the tempo, organist or choir director/cantor?
  • dad29
    Organ's pretty loud. Cantor, not so much. Choir director can be thrown off the loft.
  • dad29
    Or, seriously.....my organ teacher told me that the tempo for accompanying congregations should be a couple of ticks "upbeat" to keep the congregation from dragging the anchor. One should also take into account the lung-capacity of the singer(s). Obviously, the primary consideration is musicality.

And with the menu of choices you gave above, the choir director should be the tempo-setter, or the organist, in that order. NEVER the cantor/ette.
    Thanked by 1Matilda
  • Matilda
    Choir director serves as cantor( downstairs) at some masses, but insists on cranking up Mike and controlling all tempos. Also directs all hymns when in loft. Usually I accommodate since this person is more credentialed than I, but sometimes it is ridiculous and I do have a few musical opinions. When they try to control the action from downstairs am I allowed to override occasionally? I've taken many organ lessons at my own expense and practiced diligently, most would consider me a sane and reasonable person and not an organ diva....
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Matilda
    Love your comments dad...
  • It is the ancient prerogative of the organist to set the tempo on all hymns and service music (ordinaries, etc.). A person at a microphone should never be allowed to sing into it when the congregation or choir are singing. This is the height of tackiness and bad taste, and the height of musical ignorance.
  • Liam
    Who reports to whom? Subordinates have a duty of obedience to the reasonable directives of their superiors.
  • dad29
    Are you trying to tell us that the organist--and not the choir director--sets the tempo for Ordinaries which are sung by a choir?

Perhaps in England or some other such un-civilized place....
  • Matilda
    I follow the tempos of the choir director when accompanying choir anthems; I was speaking of hymns sung by the congregation when I asked who should set the tempo.
  • Matilda
    And mostly I'm cooperative when it comes to hymns as well with the choir director upstairs- but when they are a cantor....
  • Liam
    And, yes, cantors (including music directors ... and hijackers like priests) should not be singing into a microphone during congregational singing. They can sing, but unamplified (or at least only very distantly amplified - step back far enough not to have your voice dominate by amplification, please).
  • singing into a microphone during congregational singing

should be prevented by removing the cantor/trix or the microphone, or both.

cantor( downstairs) at some masses, ... insists on cranking up Mike and controlling all tempos.

Prevent this by the same procedure: remove the cantor/trix or the microphone or both.

Organists should be in command of the tempo, because they have the loudest voice in the room, and usually (but, admittedly, not always) have the best sense of how fast/slow the organ can be played without creating mush.

IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES should this decision be taken on the fly. Choirmasters and Organists can work together, and should sort this sort of thing out before the liturgy begins.
    Thanked by 1Matilda
  • CharlesW
    I am the organist and the choir director. My cantors do not use microphones. I don't like draggy hymns so the tempo is reasonable and what the congregation can sing, but there are times I pick things up a bit more. Like when the sermon was too long and I am trying to move things along. Or maybe I had too much coffee between masses.
  • Matilda
    i am so glad I was brave enough to ask this question. Now I have a wealth of information. I may not have the power to change these things but it is so encouraging to know that my instincts are good. Thank you all so much.
    Thanked by 4Kathy CHGiffen Carol roy2
  • Matilda
    FYI the song in question was " Shall We Gather At the River" out of Gather. I see this as a rather happy hymn- we're finally meeting our dead loved ones, we're with the saints in a beautiful place( near the throne of God!), So I think of it as a bit of a picnic, not a dirge. I was singing myself so It wouldn't be too fast for breath- but I wanted to paint a joyful scene. the cantor seemed inclined to misery. Thoughts?
  • CharlesW
    The best way to warm the hearts of the congregation is to take all the copies of Gather into the churchyard, drench them with gasoline, then toss a lighted match into the pile.
  • Liam
    Matilda

I suspect the cantor may have been influenced by the solemn tempo of Aaron Copland's arrangement under the name of "At The River" which is marked to be sung "With dignity".

Thanked by 2Matilda CHGiffen
  • davido
    I would play Shall we gather at about 76 BPM, not faster than 80, definitely not slower than 70.

I think the most knowledgeable church musician should be setting the tempi. This should be the organist, but in cases where organist is new or a sub, then it might be the cantor or choir director. Only in drastic cases should the tempo be changed mid hymn - should be talked about before mass, or just endured and talked about later.
    Thanked by 1Matilda
  • Matilda
    I begin to think that the problem is I am working with an individual who prefers a public showdown ( so everyone will know who is in charge) to cordial personal communication and joint planning. I've always knuckled under before but now I've kind of had it. Joint planning and a good work relationship would be much preferable though. I doubt we'll be able to get rid of Gather, Charles, but I enjoy your very opinionated comments!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen CharlesW Carol
  • dad29
    In the case of "Gather," Charles is both opinionated and 100% correct. But watch him carefully.....he's also an Eastern.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • dad29
    the most knowledgeable church musician should be setting the tempi. This should be the organist,

The organist MAY be 'the most knowledgeable....' There are many instances where that organist is a Prot, or merely a well-trained organist with zero 'church' smarts.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Matilda
    Not sure who is most knowledgeable- I am least credentialed and have Protestant background so according to some I'm sure I'm least knowledgeable ... but is this hymn a dirge or a celebration?
  • Liam
    " . . . is this hymn a dirge or a celebration?"

Neither.

It may be an act of hope.
  • Liam
    PS: Again, if Copland's arrangement (originally for solo voice and piano, if memory serves, but there's a choral version, and then orchestrated arrangements thereof - it's been popular in the choral concert repertoire . . . .) may have been in the mind of the cantor, is this a "dirge"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67V0CnvApM

That, in my experience of the Copland setting, is a pretty typical tempo. Of course, with those thick choral textures, the tempo doesn't necessarily render it dirge-like. With a monophonic vocal melody, it might (but the solo voice-piano version is likewise performed in at similar tempos....).

Which is my long way of saying: there can be more than one reasonable interpretation. Whose interpretation is "right" in the moment would ideally be the result of a conversation beforehand, rather than an unseemly tug of war in which congregants are held hostage.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Matilda Carol
  • Matilda
    Thank you Liam- yes I am afraid we had " an unseemly tug of war", like to avoid in future. Good to have your input on different interpretations and how to avoid future wars. Amazing how churches, supposedly holy places, can descend into pits of anger and resentment! This I wish to move away from...
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Matilda
    This is a beautiful video but not at all the way my Protestant ancestors would have sung the tune!
  • chonakchonak
    Agreeing on a tempo in advance, right down to putting it in numerical form, would be a good thing. But of course tempos have to be adjusted at times as the acoustics of the church vary: summer or winter, empty or full.

The words "dirge" and "celebration" aren't helpful: when I hear someone say "dirge" in this sort of discussion, the person is just expressing annoyance, not talking about something real: after all, how many of us have ever heard any dirge in a Catholic service?
    Thanked by 3Matilda Liam CharlesW
  • Matilda
    I confess I am annoyed
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Matilda
    Not with you chonak , annoyed with being unable to express my point of view musically. Annoyed because I feel my rather childlike take on the hymn is not musically sophisticated and therefore I'm overruled at church...
  • "pits of anger and resentment"?

I'm still scandalized by what I've seen since my conversion. I somehow -probably by grace -manage to remain zealously Catholic.
  • Liam
    "but not at all the way my Protestant ancestors would have sung the tune!"

I think of how a dear friend and former liturgical music trenches colleague of mine described the brisk, almost double-time martial, tempo and feel of hearing .... "Here I Am, Lord" in his sister's Methodist church 20-25 years ago. He hardly recognized it and had to suppress near-laughter. But he also reconsidered, and engaged the text in a different light. Because he's a liturgical musician, and if you share that vocation you learn to turn problems and annoyances into opportunities where feasible - and to exercise your feasibility muscles, as it were.* Truly professional musicians develop an inspired light touch when pivoting from "mistakes".

That said, recognition is not the only value in liturgical music (it has *a* value when congregations are asked to sing but one that coexists with others).

* It helps to have at one's mental and spiritual ready the following aphorism for self-management: "Because people." And to mean that as "Because [us] people" not "Because [those] people". It's an exercise in humility through solidarity. It's why we need - and celebrate - Redemption.

Thanked by 3Matilda CHGiffen Carol
  • Matilda
    Perhaps a good hymn can be heard a number of different ways? Because I seem more used to a " muscular Christianity " kind of rhythm with hymns, and this has been a recurrent issue with me as a former protestant organist. The slower more thoughtful chant stuff confuses me...it's floaty and I want to see stuff being accomplished!
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Matilda,

Do not fret that you have the opinion "a good hymn can be heard a number of different ways". There is more than one right way to do many things. On the other hand, for your personal and spiritual formation I encourage you to not assume that modern hymns (i.e., anything from Luther forward) are necessarily the proper choices for any given circumstance. " Muscular Christianity" doesn't necessarily lead you to "The Old Rugged Cross" or "Onward Christian Soldiers" or even "Faith of Our Fathers" or "Gather us in".
    Thanked by 1Matilda
  • a_f_hawkins
    A lot of Catholic music is 'floaty', it is supposed to be reflective or meditative. Of course the Baptist hymn being discussed was not intended to be like that, but then the hymn's author would possibly not be happy to hear Catholics using it anyway. This is a tune with a lot of cultural associations, having been used widely as a sound track for Westerns, tunes with baggage like that are probably best avoided at Mass, in my opinion.
    Thanked by 2Matilda Carol
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Copeland's introduction is a reminder that Lowry wrote in the midst of a cholera outbreak when the opening line was in fact a question. The piano score has no mm but only "With dignity", Hampson's tempo (8:30) being more reasonable than (yikes!) this.

Nevertheless I'm much more apt to remember Joel Cohen's guitar (2:20).
    Thanked by 2Liam Matilda
  • Liam
    I love the Boston Camerata, though even Joel Cohen can prettify things too much (as in that example) and rub the Original Roughness (that is, noisiness) away. On the other hand, we don't really know how much Original Roughness has been eroded in chant performance over the aeons.

That Marilyn Horne version struck me as ... prayer. Even at that glacial (pronounced 'Glay-see-ill in your best Dowager Countess imitation) pace, it somehow works for the solo voice. The brass accompaniment was a thoughtful compliment to her voice. Not for worship, but I could appreciate that at a church concert.
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix Matilda
  • Liam
    As an aside related to the issue of arrangement and setting of well-known hymns, Joel Cohen likewise wove an arrangement of Joy to The World that is influenced by the shape note/white spiritual tradition (melody in tenor but with voices doubling at the octaves), the brass bands of mid-19th century American singing music, et cet., yielding a certain anachronistic winsomeness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPj_SsQV-Fg
    Thanked by 1Matilda
  • chonakchonak
    Just for fun, here are the tempos I'd want to use: with a congregation: 96 bpm; with little/no congregational singing: 84. But if we were performing the Copland arrangement, I'd probably stay close to the recommendation in the score.

But I'm not convinced this is really all that suitable for a Catholic service anyway: to me, it comes across as artificial. I wish a Catholic congregation could sing a song like this with sincerity, but in practice, it seems to be something done more in levity than from devotion.
  • francis
    Wow... if the organist cant play a “good” tempo get another organist
  • Matilda
    Not sure I want to be gotten rid of. I think my approach to this whole thing is a lot less complicated. Aren't we supposed to approach God as little children, and why can't we sing this song simply and joyfully?
  • But I'm not convinced...
    In the case of the song in question here, the question to be asking is not how fast or slow, but whether to or not to sing this anthropocentric song at a theocentric mass. (The correct answer, should there be any doubt, is 'not to'.)
  • Matilda
    Please explain anthropocentric vs theocentric...
  • Please explain...
    Well, God is, after all, mentioned in this song. Rather, his throne (upon which he presumably sits), and only his throne, is mentioned. This oblique reference is hardly enough to baptise a spiritual song which, really, is all about mankind (anthropo-centric) and the joy of the faithful who gather to cross a purely metaphorical and imaginary river which is said repeatedly (as in over and over - and over again) to be beautiful. It is, in a word, all about 'us' and the river. God's throne is mentioned, but he himself is not. No praise or worship of him is mentioned or offered. All this makes this a religious song which is unfit for liturgical, ritual, use in a mass which must be totally theo-centric, God centred. There may be times and places for religious songs such as this; but the mass or any other ritual celebration is not one of them.

And, as if all this were not enough, we haven't even touched on the unworthy literary drivel that is this text.
    Thanked by 2Matilda a_f_hawkins
  • CharlesW
    I have heard of this song being used in the evangelical churches that baptized in rivers in days gone by. Apparently, they did sing it for baptisms.

Then there was the ludicrous story a local comedian told about the revenuers destroying a moonshine still and the white lightning flowing into the river. The Baptists gathered and sang, you guessed it, Shall we gather....
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Matilda
  • chonakchonak
    Aren't we supposed to approach God as little children

Well, we start out as little children, but we ought to mature; the imagery in the New Testament speaks of moving on from milk to solid food (1 Cor 3, Hebrews 5).
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, I think the weakness of the song is not foremost in its text, but its rhythm, which tends to a bouncy or thumpy quality: not really ideal for a song whose main image is that of a river. :-)

Perhaps the four stanzas could be sung to an 8.7.8.7 tune, and the refrain revised to become a fifth stanza.
    Thanked by 1Matilda
  • Matilda
    Well this has certainly been interesting. Now I will have to go find a cave somewhere so I can sit and give it some thought.
  • CharlesW
    In all fairness, if Matilda is not the choir director, she may not have control over the music selected. I found myself in a similar situation when I first began working in Catholic music. Before that, I had worked for Protestants who had two distinct advantages over some Catholic congregations. They were nice people and they paid well. My remedy for that was to become a director of music and organist so that I only have to argue with myself over music selections. Being organist only can cause you to be caught in the middle, especially if the choir director is less than competent.
    Thanked by 2Matilda CHGiffen
  • Matilda
    You are correct, I have very little control over hymns. My position is sometimes very uncomfortable. I only get to select precludes and postludes. I'm really a highly trained cog. Aargh!!
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    The homily was about vices and it ended with thunderous shouts
    .. if I could I would throw all the beer in the river
    .. if I could I would throw all the wine in the river
    .. if I could I would throw all the spirits in the river.

Creed
    Prayers of the Faithful
    Hmm .. I know a hymn Perfect for Offertory.

PURPLE_BOLD=OFF
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Matilda
  • "I don't care where the water goes,
    as long as it doesn't get in to the wine."
    G.K. Chesterton

Matilda,

Take some comfort from the fact that machines whose cogs break.... quickly cease proper function.

Remember also that if you give good advice ("look out for that iceberg"; "should we take a funeral dirge at the pace of a sprint?"; "Father, we should wait a week to sing that piece we've seen for the first time this morning") and those to whom you give it fail to heed it, and if the catastrophe you foresee comes to pass..... you have done what you are able to do.

I would avoid outright conflict with the Choir Director, but I encourage you to try to work out details before full rehearsals. Of course, this presumes that your director lets you know what you're supposed to do in enough time for you to accomplish it reasonably and professionally.
    Thanked by 2Matilda Carol