Latin Hymns for the 3rd Sunday after Epiphany?
  • EvaS
    Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could think of any hymns in Latin suitable for the 3rd Sunday after Epiphany. I have only a small group of volunteers for the EF Mass for that particular Sunday, so polyphonic motets will not be feasible. Before I spend time composing a simple unison or two-part motet myself, I want to know if there is any hymn in Latin to save myself some work.
  • tomjaw
    The 3rd Sunday after Epiphany was at one time and in some places the Feast of the Holy Family, Hymns can be found in the L.U. and also some here,
    https://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/the-feast-of-the-holy-family/

Hymns for the Epiphany are also suitable,
    https://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/the-epiphany/
  • a_f_hawkins
    Have you looked at the Office hymns for example.
    Thanked by 1EvaS
  • As both posts suggest, Crudelis Herodes (Epiphany) or O Lux Beata Caelitum (Holy Family) from the Office are good choices. Personent Hodie is another choice - simple, could be done in unison or very easy two part.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • I would second Personent Hodie. If you have a beefy organ, perhaps the Holst organ accompaniment would do well.
  • EvaS

The website with the Office hymns is very good. Thank you! Yes, I had looked into the Office hymns before I initiated the discussion here, but I couldn't find anything that was remotely related to the readings of the day. Perhaps I will compose my own motet after all.
  • I second Casavant's suggestion of the Holst Personent Hodie. It would make a splendid offertory anthem.
  • tomjaw
    If you are looking for something related to the Readings, I cannot think of any Latin Hymn. But the Gospel with the Centurion "I am not worthy..." would make an interesting motet... There must be something along those lines. Perhaps one of the Hymns written by St. Thomas Aquinas?

Another option is St. John Chrysostom, it is his Feast day, not that I can think of a Hymn.
  • Tomjaw,
    maybe you are thinking of de Victoria's "Domine, Non Sum Dignus" ?
  • Ted
    The feast of the Holy Family for the EF is the first Sunday after Epiphany in most places today, which, as of this writing, is this coming Sunday.
    The following link provides Gregorian hymns (the 2 processionals, offertory, and communion) for all Sunday Masses of the year , and for major feasts. It is actually a convenient booklet form for the choir to use, and in many cases there is an organ accompaniment booklet also available. It also provides alongside English and French translations of the Latin:

latine.ca
  • Bumping to add a question...

Since this Sunday falls in the middle of the week (18-25 Jan) of prayer for the return of heretics and schismatics, would a hymn for such an intention be appropriate, even though it's not a 3 Epiphany-specific topic?
  • Certainly, I say. This year, with Septuagesima being the following Sunday, I would also suggest "Alleluia, dulce carmen" as a fitting option.
  • Chrism
    Perhaps Ubi Caritas, in honor of the Epistle, or any of the Holy Name hymns (e.g., Jesu dulcis memoria, Jesu decus Angelicum) in honor of the Gradual.
  • Many good suggestions above -

But Dulci Carmen is the one for this day.

It was made for this day.

It's the last joyful and poignant alleluya we will sing before the Easter Vigil.

It can be sung only on one Sunday of the year - this one.

(Assuming that next Sunday will be Septuagesima for some of us - otherwise, the Sunday next before Ash Wednesday.)
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    Chant melodies for Dulce Carmen,
    https://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/eve-of-septuagesima/
    We will sing this next Saturday when we bury the Alleluia. N.B. some of you have a few more weeks before you can do this.