Neumatic notation help
  • MarkB
    My music director has been gracious to allow me to experiment with composing and chanting syllabic/neumatic/melismatic verses for responsorial psalms to use at Mass instead of using the Guimont collection or chanting to a psalm tone. The first two experiments have gone well. This time I tried engraving a setting in square-note notation for the sake of learning how to do that and would like the assistance of anyone willing to look at it to help me improve the notation.

I have attached a pdf of the music and the gabc file. It replaces the Guimont setting on p. 30 of his collection.

I'm not so much interested in your critique of the melody, but that is welcome too.

What I'm primarily interested in are your suggestions for correcting my gabc notation. Did I correctly identify it as being in mode 1? Did I use episemas correctly? Did I place bars correctly? I'm at a loss of where to place ictuses (icti?), but that's not so important for myself since I'm the only person who will chant it. How would you improve or correct my notation?

In sum, I'm a novice learning how to notate using Gregorian notation and would appreciate help with this experiment.

Thank you.
  • a_f_hawkins
    ictŭs, sing., rhymes with fuss: ictūs, plural, rhymes with loose. (for the pedantic).
    But you surely don't need them, just sing the natural rhythm of the words.
    And, thanks, I like that setting.
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Were I the only person who will chant it both syllables of "tentcloth" and "water" would be d's, but very nice, as well as clear! A slight tweek might be a later placement of the 'optional breath' quarter bar (,) at "in which are schools without number of living things, both small and great."

A problem I haven't solved either is how to get correct custodii before the respond.
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    There is of course a way to add custodii with (d+); perhaps Richard Chonak will know how to subtract the extra one after verse 1:

name: Baptism of the Lord (Optional);
    user-notes: by Mark Bauman;
    commentary: Psalm 104;
    annotation: 1;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %fontsize: 12;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: OFLSortsMillGoudy;
    %width: 4.5;
    %height: 10;
    %%
    (c4)
    R/ {O}(d) bless(d) the(e) Lord,(f) my(g) soul,(f) O(e) bless(d) the(c) Lord.(d.) (::z)
    1. {O}(e) Lord,(fe) my(f) God,(g_) you(f) are(f) great(e) in(c)deed!(d.) (:) You(f) are(g) clothed(h) with(j) maj(i)es(g)ty(h) and(f) glo(e)ry,(d_) (;) robed(f) in(g) light(h) as(j) with(i) a(g) cloak.(h.) (:) You(g) have(h) spread(g) out(f) the(e) heav(f)ens(e) like(d) a(c) tent-(c)cloth.(d.) R/ (d+)(::z)
    2. Y{ou}(e) have(f) con(e)struc(f)ted(g) your(g) pal(f)ace(e) up(d)on(e) the(c) wat(c)ers.(d.) (:) You(f) make(g) the(h) clouds(h) your(g) char(f)i(e)ot;(d_) (;) you(f) trav(g)el(h) on(j) the(i) wings(h) of(i) the(g) wind.(h.) (:) You(g) make(g) the(h) winds(h) your(g) mes(f)sen(e)gers,(d_) (;) and(e) fla(f)ming(g) fire(fe) your(d) min(c)is(d)ters.(d.) R/(::z)
  • chonakchonak
    I've added an option at run.gregoriochant.org to optionally disable automatic insertion of the custos.

This GABC code has the linebreaks and custodes specified in full, and uses a stylized character for R/ .

These options were used: initial-style: 0 ; automatic custos: N

(UPDATE: revised to add the custos after each verse.)

name: Baptism of the Lord (Optional);
    user-notes: by Mark Bauman;
    commentary: Psalm 104;
    %%
    (c4)
    <sp>R/</sp>.() () O(d) bless(d) the(e) Lord,(f) my(g) soul,(f)
    O(e) bless(d) the(c) Lord.(d.) (::) (e+Z)
    1.() O(e) Lord,(fe) my(f) God,(g_) you(f) are(f) great(e) in(c)deed!(d.) (:)
    You(f) are(g) clothed(h) with(j) maj(i)es(g)ty(h) and(f) glo(e)ry,(d_) (;) (f+z)
    robed(f) in(g) light(h) as(j) with(i) a(g) cloak.(h.) (:)
    You(g) have(h) spread(g) out(f) the(e) heav(f)ens(e) like(d) a(c) tent-(c)cloth.(d.) (::)
    <sp>R/</sp>.(d+) (Z)
    2.() Y{ou}(e) have(f) con(e)struc(f)ted(g) your(g) pal(f)ace(e) up(d)on(e) the(c) wat(c)ers.(d.) (:)
    You(f) make(g) the(h) clouds(h) your(g) (f+z) char(f)i(e)ot;(d_) (;)
    you(f) trav(g)el(h) on(j) the(i) wings(h) of(i) the(g) wind.(h.) (:)
    You(g) make(g) the(h) winds(h) your(g) mes(f)sen(e)gers,(d_) (;) (e+z)
    and(e) fla(f)ming(g) fire(fe) your(d) min(c)is(d)ters.(d.) (::)
    <sp>R/</sp>.(d+)

Thanked by 2CHGiffen Richard Mix