what does one give the CD for Christmas?
  • I don't know about you, but I received a DVD "Christmas in Rome". Think I'll hang onto it until Twelfth Night. :-)

"Spanning the years from the early fifth century, when the beautiful church of Santa Maria Maggiore was built in Rome (where these performances were recorded), to the mid-18th century (when the latest pieces were composed), this DVD celebrates angels and shepherds viewed through the music of the Italian Baroque composers. Composers include Victoria, Palestrina, Frescobaldi, Carissimi, Josquin, A. Scarlatti, Corelli and Vivaldi. Major pieces include Scarlatti's cantata O di Betlemme altera, Corelli's Concerto grosso in G minor op.6 no.1 Christmas Concerto and Vivaldi's Gloria RV 589, performed by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert with Nancy Argenta as soloist. The shorter pieces are performed by the Gabrieli Consort and Players led by a young Paul McCreesh. A short opening fanfare is played by the Renaissance wind band Pifferari.

"[...] filmed in performance Dec. 1992. The digitally remastered widescreen picture is crisp and clear, sound in PCM stereo and DTS 5.1 is warm and full. The performances last 102 minutes. "
  • canadashcanadash
    This year I received a beautiful bouquet of Gerber daisies and a lovely card which fulfilled my need for words of affirmation (yes, I am shallow). :)
  • CharlesW
    Whiskey and chocolate are nice. ;-) But they always give me money which is fine, too.
  • dad29
    How about a couple of good tenors?
  • CharlesW
    Two sopranos, two altos, two tenors, two basses - don't need the partridge in a pear tree.
  • Liam
    The Twelve Voices of Christmas - Gashlycrumb Tinies Edition; perfect to crowdsource for Twelfth Night:

begins with A bass who can't sing on key
    Three tenor hams
    Twelve troubled trebles

Fill in the rest as you will....
  • Four hacking coughs
    Three tenor hams
    Two people out
    And a Bass who can't sing on key
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Liam
  • couple of good tenors?

There are that many?
  • Carol
    I asked for a tenor last year and didn't get one then, but this year I got my son the "near" tenor who sang beautifully and his bride who played flute on a couple of things. If I had had my son the bass, it would have been perfect!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Twelve troubled trebles
    Eleven
    Ten
    Nine
    Eight
    Seven
    Six
    FIVE CIPHERS NOW (sung in loud and sustained discord)
    Four hacking coughs
    Three tenor hams
    Two altos out
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Twelve troubled trebles
    Eleven
    Ten boy sopranos
    Nine
    Eight
    Seven
    Six
    FIVE CIPHERS NOW (sung in loud and sustained discord)
    Four hacking coughs
    Three tenor hams
    Two people out