What does "Pastoral Liturgy" mean???
  • SalieriSalieri
    On FB a few moments ago I saw a flyer posted for a St. Meinrad chant workshop, presented by the St. Basil School of Gregorian Chant (Univ. of St. Thomas, Houston)--which looks excellent, BTW--but I was struck by the phrase "An experience of chant in the Pastoral Liturgy". So, my question: What on earth is "Pastoral Liturgy" anyway (apart from the crappy magazine of the same name)? [start purple] I assume it is a liturgy celebrated by the Pastor, as opposed to the Administrator (Administrative Liturgy), but I could be wrong. [end purple]
    Thanked by 2chonak CharlesW
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It's easy to see how you could go wrong, but of course it's the sheep that lends that liturgy its, um, odour ;-)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • Liam
    and smell . . . and chant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwuy2t5C_Jc
  • CharlesW
    Beats me. I am supposed to be a "Pastoral Musician," whatever that is. All this time I thought I just played the organ and directed the choir.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I wonder if "Pastoral Liturgy" might be an oblique reference to that practiced at Snouto Domoinko de Silo, where the Dominoinkan pigs sing Pigorian Chant, where "Tempus porco nihil est." Just think, twelve times a day, these simple swine grunt the unadorned, ethereal music of Pigorian Chant, in Pig Latin, of course. For occasions from the first mealtime (Op-slay ime-tay. Et's lay eat-ay. Um yay, um-yay.) to Nox Animaliae, when they're joined by all the animals in a harmony that dates back before the time of Caesar Hogustus, the pigs chant.

We have Sandra Boynton to thank for unearthing these gems from the mires of the pigsty. One might think this could only be real "when pigs fly" ... but it seems she is an expert on this topic, too:

width="640" height="360">
  • rogue63
    MJO is the person to answer. Jackson, can you clarify? I agree that wording is a touch awkward.
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe it's a code word added to attract liturgical progressives: after all, learning chant is good for everybody.
  • My understanding was that the conference aims at helping directors of music programs to encourage the use of chant in your average 'normal' parish. That is, how to get people (congregation) who might think chant is too hard, too erudite, or too old to become enthusiastic about chant and understand it as a great way to truly participate. That being a challenge in various parishes where I sing (though I am not (yet) involved in directing anything), I signed up for the February event.

I'll post a report!
  • Pastoral liturgy? Is that one in which Charpentier's Pastorale is the cornerstone?

My son ventured that Pastoral liturgy is supposed to be one which uses all the "loopholes" to better meet the (perceived) needs of the faithful.

It's odd, I admit, to see "Pastoral Liturgy" next to "chant", since they usually come from opposite wings. Maybe it was written by a publicist who is trying to appeal to everyone at the same time?

Try this as an example:

Necessary skills: ability to lead diverse groups of people in worshipping God, and in making the best use of the sacred treasury of music. Guitar skills necessary; music reading a plus; thorough knowledge of the Roman Catholic tradition of worship.

Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • ghmus7
    Mr Giffen, you win the prize again. I often tune in to this site to see it there is some new comment that will lift my depressed mind.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw CHGiffen Carol
  • SalieriSalieri
    "y = upside-down duck + (7/3)x"
    She's quackers!!!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol
  • Ally
    In all seriousness to answer your question, as one who teaches for the school, the St. Basil School of Gregorian Chant is very faithful organization that promotes the beauty of the sung liturgy. The use of that phrase has been, as some of you have discerned, used to attract those who may not think chant is pastoral but are curious about it being sung in the vernacular and this "new thing the kids are doing," or whatever else. That is to say: the pastoral consideration of the liturgy (in its true sense) and chant are not mutually exclusive. Fr. Columba Kelly OSB (rest in peace) taught these for a number of years. It is a great introduction, in particular, to people who are curious about all of this but have never seen it "on the ground" in what they might consider an "average" parish.

It will be excellent.