Holy Innocence Sequence
  • JoeM
    Does anyone know where could I get my hands on the Gregorian Sequence for the feast of Holy Innocence? Is there such a thing?
  • Joe,

There isn't (any longer) a sequence for the feast of Holy Innocents (which is what I presume you mean). There may have been one at one point, but it hasn't been in use for centuries (at least not officially, as a sequence in the Mass that day). Jackson Osborne or Tomjaw will set me right if it never existed.

On the other hand, if you mean that you want the Propers for the feast, that should be relatively easy. Consult a book called the Liber Usualis if it's music you need, or any breviary for the Office.
  • a_f_hawkins
    We possess a lengthy hymn in honour of the Holy Innocents ... and a sequence composed by Notker, "Laus tibi Christe", but most Churches at Mass used the "Clesa pueri concrepant melodia" (Kehrein, "Sequenzen", 1873, p. 348)
    Go here and there are several texts, starting, I think, if you click on '262' in Navigation [the ref above is wrong, its not p348 but #348]. There is a pointer to neumes. And note that "Clesa pueri concrepaent melodia" is in a Sarum source.
    [EDIT] which I have found transcribed here!.
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix JoeM
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    From The Catholic Encyclopedia at New Advent.
    In the Roman Breviary the feast was only a semi-double (in other breviaries a minor double) up to the time of Pius V, who, in his new Breviary (1568), raised it to a double of the second class with an octave (G. Schober, "Expl. rit. brev. rom.", 1891, p. 38). He also introduced the two hymns "Salvete flores martyrum" and "Audit tyrannus anxius", which are fragments of the Epiphany hymn of Prudentius. Before Pius V the Church of Rome sang the Christmas hymns on the feast of the Holy Innocents. The proper preface of the Gelasian Sacramentary for this feast is still found in the Ambrosian Missal. We possess a lengthy hymn in honour of the Holy Innocents from the pen of the Venerable Bede, "Hymnum canentes martyrum" (Dreves, "Analecta hymnica") and a sequence composed by Notker, "Laus tibi Christe", but most Churches at Mass used the "Clesa pueri concrepant melodia" (Kehrein, "Sequenzen", 1873, p. 348). At Bethlehem the feast is a Holy Day of obligation. The liturgical colour of the Roman Church is purple, not red, because these children were martyred at a time when they could not attain the beatific vision. But of compassion, as it were, towards the weeping mothers of Bethlehem, the Church omits at Mass both the Gloria and Alleluia; this custom, however, was unknown in the Churches of France and Germany. On the octave day, and also when the feast falls on a Sunday, the Roman Liturgy, prescribes the red colour, the Gloria, and the Alleluia. In England the feast was called "Childermas".
    Thanked by 1JoeM
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Since "Hymnum canentes martyrum" is mentioned, here is the J.M. Neale translation "The Hymn for Conquering Martyrs Raise" set to ST CROIX.
  • Gentlemen,

When did it lose its Octave?
  • ‘55, I believe.
  • tomjaw
    Holy Innocents does not now have a sequence, in the ancient french books we have Celsa pueri concrepent melodia This sequence is also used in the Sarum, and it can be found in the Sequentiarium (It can be downloaded here https://hmcwordpress.mcmaster.ca/renwick/missal/temporale/ )

More can be found here, but this is only one volume and Vols 8-10, 34, 37, 39, 40, 42, 44, 53, and 54 are for Sequences...
    https://archive.org/details/analectahymnicam5253drev/page/256

As for the Octave I also think it went in late 50's.
  • Tomjaw,

My computer's internal security net panicked when I clicked on your link. Can you publicly assure me (and anyone else) that it's not booby trapped?

• a_f_hawkins
    So Joseph Kehrein gives nine (nos. 341 to 349), six of which he ascribes to Notker, and three of those have sequentia in the title.
    My computer also has worries about tomjaw's first link, try https://macsphere.mcmaster.ca/bitstream/11375/16331/4/SM-02-xmas.pdf which is the link I gave, the sequence begins on page 61.
    Thanked by 1JoeM
  • chonakchonak
    CGZ, you can view the Sarum website at McMaster University without a security warning through this URL:
    http://hmcwordpress.mcmaster.ca/renwick/missal/temporale/
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen JoeM tomjaw
  • Chonak,

Thanks.

• A Manual of Gregorian Chant (1903) has a "Laus tibi Christe" HERE.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JoeM
  • JoeM
    Thank you. These will do just fine.
  • tomjaw
    @Chris Garton-Zavesky

I checked the link and it was fine for me, I suspect they have not updated a programme on their computer.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I suspect that tomjaw has told his browser that this site is okay!
    The only difference between the adresses is that one claims to be secure, and McMaster's certificate is secured for local humanities department users.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw