This Advent Moon (after several days of overcast)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Finally, after several days of overcast skies (some with snow showers, even today), this evening I saw and pointed out to my wife, Patty, the waxing crescent moon ... THIS Advent Moon ... in the sky, as we were returning from some afternoon shopping and errands. This brought me to reflect upon the health issues that are being faced by one of my sons, my brother, my wife, and several dear friends and other relatives. Please include these people in your prayers.

And just nine years ago, upon the death of Patty's father, I composed "This Advent Moon" to three stanzas of the poem "Advent" by Christina Rossetti. It has been sung at least a few times in various places around the world, including by the Phipps Festival Chorus here in Hudson, Wisconsin. So ...

As a way of acknowledging the fast approaching Nativity of Our Lord, during this particular Advent and the visual appearance of the current Advent moon, I attach both the score and a live recording of "This Advent Moon" - with all good wishes for a blessed conclusion to your own Advent observances and devotions.

Charles Giffen
  • Love the score and recording. Plan to use it next year
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wow, thank you!!
  • Terribly good, Chuck -
    very sensitive treatment of the poem.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thank you so much, Jackson!

For the curious, there are certain structural elements in the composition of "This Advent Moon" - and I prepared a musical structure document to illustrate these. I've attached it here.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • Fascinating, Chuck -
    This is the stuff of the musical games played by the late mediaevals... or by Bach himself!
    And, like the stuff of their games, one would not likely hear it when sung, but only see it in score.
    Wunderbar!

(Oh, and my compliments on your snow.
    Throw a snowball for me.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I like it and have used it several times.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks, Charles. I'm glad you like it well enough to have used it several times. If you ever get a chance to make a recording of it (or already have a recording), I'd love to obtain a copy.
  • CharlesW
    That could take a while. Our recording guy is leaving to move cross country.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    By the way, the recording above is by "Kamerkoor Sforzato" from Utrecht, Netherlands, from a concert in 2013.
  • francis
    Very nice piece CHG.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    *Bumping* with all good wishes for a blessed conclusion of Advent, watching and waiting for the birth of our Saviour.
  • Beautiful, Charles. You have quite a talent for composition.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I have retired and will not be playing for Advent or Christmas for the first time in 20 years. However, "This Advent Moon" will be played at my house. It is beautiful and I used it regularly when still working.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen