Westminster Cathedral Choir Composition Competition
  • From Westminster Cathedral:

Composers are invited to submit a new unaccompanied choral motet for Westminster Cathedral's inaugural Composition Competition. A prize of £750 will be awarded to the winner, and the winning motet will be premiered at the 10am Solemn Mass at Westminster Cathedral on Palm Sunday, 14 April 2019 by Westminster Cathedral Choir.
    The competition is open to all composers aged 35 and under, and the deadline for entries is 6pm on Friday 15 February 2019. There is an entry fee of £10.

The guidelines require the composition to be an under-four-minute unaccompanied SATB setting of the Good Friday responsory Omnes amici mei. More info on their site.
  • tomjaw
    Here is the link to the Application form with more information...

http://westminstercathedralchoir.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/westminster-cathedral-composition-competition-information-and-application-form.pdf

They even want this in Latin!
  • I like that they're trying to encourage young composers, but it's too bad this competition doesn't have a separate division for those over 35 as well.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw MarkS
  • Carol
    My husband got his composition degree at 60+ years of age. So he is "young" as a composer. It's ageism, I ell you!
  • tomjaw
    @CHGiffen

I would love to hear what you would send... With this modern idea of choosing your 'gender' can we not self identify as under 35!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Carol
    Some guy actually did do that. He "decided" he was 20 years younger. i think it was somewhere in Europe.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... can we not self identify as under 35!

Of course! It helps to think of myself as 30 ... with 48 years of experience.