Sung propers for Memorial of St. Josemaria Escriva
  • Tournemire
    Anyone can point me quickly to the sung propers for the Memorial of St. Josemaria Escriva? (OF Mass.)
  • chonakchonak
    A friend asked me to help him find a responsorial psalm setting, so I prepared these.

The published edition has an odd editing decision for the psalm verses: it breaks a sentence in half by interrupting it for the refrain. Therefore the second version regroups the verses to avoid that.
    Thanked by 2miacoyne marymezzo
  • miacoyne
    Chonak, or someone, could you please post a recording of this? There will be many people who would appreciate it. Thanks.

• chonakchonak
    I'm busy this week; maybe someone else?
  • Tournemire
    This looks lovely. I still can't find the sung propers though. (Not listed in the Graduale Romanum.)
  • Tournemire
    I don't own a copy of the Ordo Cantus Missae. Anyone who can maybe look it up in there?
  • BenBen
    Is that just the Mass of the day, or something from the commons, or somewhere else? I'm not finding it in the missal anywhere, and tournemire said it isn't in the graduale (although I could double check).
  • chonakchonak
    I found these Latin propers on the net via the NLM blog:

Ant. ad Introitum:
    Ier 3, 15:
    Dabo vobis pastores iuxta cor meum, et pascent vos scientia et doctrina.

Ant. ad communionem:
    Mt 20, 28
    Filius hominis non venit ministrari, sed ministrare, et dare animam suam redemptionem pro multis.

The page doesn't include an offertory antiphon, and these texts are not in the Graduale, which was published while St. Josemaria was still alive. For a sung Mass, I'd choose from the pieces in the common of pastors and the common of holy men.
    Thanked by 1marymezzo
  • Tournemire
    And I can't find the music for these Latin propers anywhere either. Online it lists the texts for these propers, but nowhere can I find the chants.
  • tomjaw
    It is one thing to build a factory to roll out Canonisations at a faster than previous rate, but it is a more difficult task to produce Propers in Latin (without embarrassing errors!), always remembering that translations need to be produced in countless other languages...

Finally producing music for these Propers... hmmm who's job is this?

I suspect that music has yet to be written. In EF land we would just use the Propers from an appropriate Common.
  • OraLabora
    Being a new addition to the calendar I don't believe he has his own Propers (for chant). I believe he is Common of Pastors, in which case you'll find the necessary chants starting on page 485 of the Graduale Romanum. Many saints don't have propers and it works in the OF as it does in the EF, you use the appropriate Common. Sometimes the Propers in the GR are simply specified chants from another Common. Many memorials don't have actual propers. Those that do tend to be saints from a very long time ago, with long-established traditions, for example St. Agatha has her own proper introit (but everything else is from the Common of Virgins or of Holy Women).
  • This book has some useful things for this feast
    https://www.scribd.com/document/243909371/Cantus-Sacri-Selecti-Opus-pdf
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The more apologies for Escriva and the Blue Division I read, the more I am dismayed. However,

The 1972 Commune Pastorum overlaps considerably with the old Common of Confessors, and besides pieces in the CPDL category there's an attributed to Dufay Fidelis servus as well as 15 items in Choralis Constantinus III.
    Thanked by 2Schönbergian tomjaw
  • BruceL
    @Richard Mix, curious about how your first sentence relates at all to the question at hand. I think it should be deleted, especially as there is no evidence and we are talking about a saint who's been canonized.

@chonak
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    BruceL,

I'm not contributing to this thread just to stir things up, and it's not my place to say what standards of proof the Congregation for the Causes of Saints ought to adopt. I've been asked to provide music for this Mass, and the controversy about Escriva and Opus Dei makes it harder to recruit in this blue corner of California. The tendency of his defenders to label anyone who disagrees part of a 'Black Legend' rather than to engage in good faith with criticism just makes it that much worse, in my opinion.

In the meantime I've uploaded Isaac's Statuit ei Dominus and am working on Sacerdotes ejus & Fidelis servus. Since the congregation will be discouraged from singing De angelis however, we'll probably be taking advantage of a rare chance to do a polyphonic Ordinary instead of Propers.
  • BruceL
    Just seems this is a sacred music forum, so the editorializing was curious to me. Curious, as well, I suppose, that the "woke" and Catholic knowledge factions in a given place would confluence as to have singers pass on the gig. But, it is strange times, indeed.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    There's nothing wrong I guess with being reminded the world is a big place, and it seems to me if you're that easily shocked at the strangeness of your bedfellows here you might be underestimating the power of sacred music.

Escriva is far from the only controversial Saint. I'm just back from a weekly Black Lives Matter vigil, and from that hill one can almost see Junipero Serra's Mission San Rafael, where native peoples were forcibly interned and where, as I was shocked to discover after looking at the numbers, the survival rate was an order of magnitude worse than at Dachau. This might well influence one's choice of Sacerdotes Dei, praising a priest's humility, over one of the more triumphalist Introits.

This is an old thread, and if this particular exchange has any value "with future readers in mind", it appears to be that being frank about one's misgivings can expose one to right wing intimidation as easily as left wing 'cancellation culture'. "Should be deleted" indeed!
  • chonakchonak
    I just think it's a good thing that a movement known for a low-Mass liturgical culture is taking an increasing interest in sacred music.

Stick to the topic, please.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Lol, I hear that about both flavors in academia, Chonak, and maybe I can go back now to keeping my head low. ;-)