Sacred music diploma/certificate
  • JesJes
    Is anybody a lecturer writing a subject for university students or school leavers?
    I am being pursued to run a 1 year diploma or certificate program for students to learn sacred music.
    I have some ideas of how to run it but I'll need some help.
    Jes
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Just to clarify the terminology: what does "writing a subject" mean? That sounds like a term used in some countries, but perhaps not here.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Designing the curriculum, writing the unit, or to decide the content to be undertaken by those enrolling in the subject. Are university subjects not called subjects over there?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Just what I thought you might mean, Jes. It seems to me that "writing a subject" is the lecturer's counterpart to a student's "reading a subject" at university. Thus, as a student at university, I read mathematics, music, and astrophysics, while on the university faculty, I wrote mathematics (meaning I wrote syllabi, course notes, lectures, etc.).
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I recommend taking a look at this and, perhaps, contacting those involved with the program: https://www.stthom.edu/Public/getFile.asp?File_Content_ID=105384

Dr. Jenny Donelson would probably be a good resource, too.
  • ELapisardi
    You may also wish to contact Chaz Bowers at Seton Hill University regarding their Certificate in Sacred Music program: https://www.setonhill.edu/academics/meet-the-faculty/detail/chaz-bowers-msm/

Also, Dr. Jason Keefer at the Pontifical College Josephinum not only teaches sacred music there, but also recently founded the Sacred Music Institute of Central Ohio and may be able to offer some advice.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • Ken of Sarum
    If you are in England, you might contact the English Guild of Church Musicians. They have a rather extensive and indepth program syllabi for a Certificate and a Diploma in Church Music covering both the Anglican and Roman Catholic Churches. It is much alike the AGO and RSCM Certifications (FAGO, FRSCM, etc.).
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    I nearly went to uni in Ohio! Wow small world.
    (Harking from Australia I opted for the cheaper subsidized option.)
  • Don't know if it would be helpful to you, but we have syllabi used for our summer course - Chant Intensive - at Duquesne University for course credit. Let me know by email if you want a copy of it.

Janet.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Janet, I would LOVE that thank you!