Green comments...huh?
  • ghmus7
    Who in "Admin" is posting these green comments such as
    "digression from the OP"? Is this a joke?
    Please stop this entirely.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • chonakchonak
    I'm the admin, and I can understand how my notes affixed to individual comments may seem to be an interruption.

But all too often people post about their personal "hobbyhorse" opinions, respond to requests for information with mere disapproval, or hijack discussions with self-indulgent digressions.

I'd welcome ideas about how to encourage good habits of forum use.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab Jes
  • More purple text. We definitely need more purple text.
  • igneusigneus
    The post editor currently has buttons to make text bold, italic, underlined, ... there should really be another button to quickly make text purple.
  • If there was a button that ERASED an ill-timed/ill-meant comment I made, I'd pay for the ability to add that to my account, that's for sure.

Or a, DO YOU REALLY WANT TO SEND THIS reminder, prior to sending?

• CharlesW
    More purple. I never go back and read posts again, so I haven't seen the "greenies." But we need more purple. I never realized chonak was so color conscious.

I know I digress, but am so used to conversing with forum members I think nothing of it. Another thing, is that there are requests for information, then there are requests for information. Some are pretty good questions that are concise enough that they are easy to delve into. I like those questions and generally learn good things from them. Others are requests such as, "can I do the Messiah with 6 voices." Uh, no. You can't.
    Thanked by 2JonLaird Jes
  • CharlesW
    Don't forget Jackson's yellow squares.
  • chonakchonak
    And we can remember the summertime advance request for free original piano arrangements of Christmas carols in a certain key, for use at a party. (sfx: nostalgia/harp)
  • ghmus7
    My opinion is that I want little or no interference by the admin. This forum is for the members to express their views, and if they want to rant about something, I say let them do it! There are very few places where we can express our opinions on our vocation...certainly not in the situations we work in. I would like the forum to be one of free expression.
    If someone does not like an opinion, he or she does not have to read that, no one is forced to use this forum. As well, if you disagree, you should be free to express that in a forum of free exchange.
    Now, if someone goes over the like into personal insult or prejudice, then that another problem, but I have seen very few instances of this.

What we DO NOT WANT is comnents on our points, such as "this post is off topic etc." Please stop this. I consider this forum to be great blessing and wish for it to continue to be beneficial for all of us...Thank you for listening and pass the Johnny Walker please.
  • chonakchonak
    This is quite a reaction for a bunch of comments in green that appeared on one thread!

In case anyone isn't aware, the forum has a set of recommendations about content:
    https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/7/forum-etiquette-guidelines-ver.-0.5

If I point out that some comment consists of mere disapproval toward some work, I'm actually urging the writer to "Be patient about legitimate differences in personal taste."

If I point out that someone has posted a personal remark that tends to escalate a dispute, I'm urging the writer to "Avoid flames."

And, since it's relevant, I may as well quote item #2 of the list in full:
    Write with future readers in mind.
    Be helpful and friendly. Write informatively and clearly for the good of the questioner and for the good of later readers. Stay on topic. Avoid inside jokes.

If by some chance a user has never had occasion to see this list of guidelines before, the observations I made might surprise and even annoy him. But really I do expect users to be aware of the list, and I will continue from time to time to remind people about it.
  • Carol
    The discussions that get most heated usually have nothing to do with music and everything to do with morality. It becomes clear very quickly when that happens and those who don't like that type of discussion probably open that discussion once and never again. I can think of a few that I read for a day or two and then stopped because it made me too distressed. I later went back and read on, because it is good to understand how someone else is thinking. It is the reader's choice. Overall I think we are grateful to Chonak for being an even handed administrator. The few times you have actually closed a thread, I agreed with your timing.

Thanks for what you do!

Perhaps when you give someone the chance to join you could direct them to the etiquette section and the html tips when you give them access. Not everyone would actually read what is there, but you would have tried.
  • Chonak, I think your post on the Mozart thread was well-timed and that an occasional green comment here or there on one particularly errant post is fine...but that thread with practically every post edited to include a green admin comment was just too much. It was like reading Fr. Z's blog, and not in a good way.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • It was like reading Fr. Z's blog, and not in a good way.

Yeah, Chonak. Next time intersperse it with pictures of the Italian cuisine you are eating at that very moment.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw chonak francis
  • CharlesW
    It was like reading Fr. Z's blog, and not in a good way.

I knew there was a reason I don't read Father Z.

I would be the first to agree that online communication may be one of the worst ways to communicate. Conversational nuances are easily misunderstood, the intended humor is lost, and sometimes the point is entirely missed. Sitting in nice chairs and conversing with some of ghmus7's Johnny Walker would be infinitely preferable and would result in much less miscommunication.
  • chonak,

You exercise tremendous restraint. I would have been sorely tempted to wallpaper this thread in green text.

Not to make any point, mind you, just because... well, it's there.

So glad you're the moderator, and I'm not.
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • Of course, we could really go wild... use yellow boxes, green font, and the images of Italian cuisine mentioned by Stim.

302 x 167 - 10K
  • chonakchonak
    (meatless for Friday? yes)
  • CharlesW
    We are already the wild boys (and girls) to begin with. Trouble is our name and mischief is our game. ;-)

• francis
    With this being my 7912 post, I will admit that I am quite opinionated, can be cantankerous at times, Tend to ruffle the feathers of those Who think different, But I truly enjoy this forum immensely and it is definitely my go to place - The number one spot on the Internet. Chonak does a good job. Sometimes let things fly that Shouldn’t, and sometimes blows out a fun fuming flame, But I love the human dimension of the whole shebang. Wouldn’t trade it for the world. Their ought to definitely be a gathering for all of us in a bar somewhere.
  • CharlesW
    I belong to a Byzantine forum that is so heavily moderated most folks have left. One lady moderator takes offense if the sun comes up, starts screaming about a lack of charity, and shuts down anything she disagrees with. Before she became a moderator, she threatened to leave every other week. I rarely even check anything there anymore. Glad this place isn't like that.
  • Charles -

What is that Byzantine forum to which you belong?
    It sounds interesting in spite of your rebuke of it.
    Is there anything positive about it?
  • so heavily moderated

That sounds so un-Byzantine, to be honest. Most Easterners I have known have shown themselves impervious to giving and taking offence. Trying to rein them in on this is like, well, starting a land war in Asia or getting into a battle of wits with a Sicilian.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW bhcordova
  • CharlesW
    http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm is the forum. I read the news part but tend to stay out of the discussion areas for the most part. The prayer section is worthy, and from time to time something newsworthy and of interest appears, but very few people post in the forum anymore.

So true, Stimson. The Ukrainians can be especially cantankerous. I have often thought them the Irish of Eastern Europe. They hate each other and everyone else. ;-) There are probably other forums, but one could easily spend all their free time on the Internet. I tend to not want to do that.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Carol
    Wow, where is the purple, Charles?
  • CharlesW
    Hah! Actually the Ukrainian comment was originally made by Andy Rooney, if anyone remembers him, from the 60 Minutes show.

An interesting site for things eastern is by Dr. Anthony Dragani. He actually has some credentials and is a reputable source for information. https://east2west.org/
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    Of course I remember Andy Rooney. He was quite the curmudgeon, too.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Kathy
    I think this forum is very well-moderated.

While one of its longstanding uses is as a kind of pressire valve--a safe-ish place to let off steam with humor--if it became mostly or only that it wouldn't fulfill its much more important purpose.

Based mostly on older posts, this forum at its best is a unique, vast library of professional resources that helps musicians do their jobs better--in concrete and not just letting-off-steam ways.
  • francis
    I have been on here for many years and God knows that we as church musicians need a place like this to let off steam... I always try to let the steam off in prayer or confession before posting here... anything we post here should be that which we would never hope or wish to retract... once it is public it is public for good. I do not regret anything I have ever said on this forum.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I'm running a bit behind on these threads, but I'm not sure why so many on this forum give Fr. Z. such a bad rap.
    Sure, I don't follow him, religiously, nor do I read the posts about food, but he does try to remind us of the beauty and goodness of Catholic Tradition, and to remind us of our moral and spiritual duties; especially that of frequent confession.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • To clarify - I have Father Zed bookmarked. That doesn't mean the Reverend Internet Father is 'infallible' as far as his posts outside of faith and morals are concerned.

Even the brightest minds need a good 'joshing' every now and then. I mean, I mock Incardination and Nihil incessantly, but that doesn't mean I don't stand in awe of their musical prowess.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Liam
    Don't be so sure on the morals part. Among other things, his censoring of Catholic objections to waterboarding in his comboxes in the Naughties was not one of his better moments. Then again, he has no episcopal mandate for the pastoral care of souls of a given place or teaching, so take it all in context.
  • ... but that doesn't mean I don't stand in awe of their musical prowess.

I think you are confusing one of us with the other. I have no prowess, musical or otherwise. I'm just German enough to be very, very stubborn. :)
    Thanked by 1Carol