Domenico Bartolucci's music
  • Anyone know any gems from Cardinal Bartolucci's music that should be more widely known? I have only the shallowest knowledge of his works, and am wondering if there are any particularly special works worth checking out.
  • Have you looked at the website of the ‘Fondazione Domenico Bartolucci’?

I would assume that their website would showcase his best works since it exists to promote his legacy.
  • There's a lot of music there, and they don't curate much.
    If I remember, the first work I heard was a Crux fidelis setting, which I was impressed by; it sounded like Italianate Vaughn Williams. Going to the site, after that, I wasn't as impressed. It struck me as neither better nor worse than the general run of Italian Caecilianism.
    So I have a challenge for Schönbergian: YOU go to the website, and you tell US what is worth doing.
  • PaxTecum
    I’ve used his lone setting of Requiem aeternam introit (chant with SATB verses) a few times- it works pretty well. This one doesn’t appear to be part of a larger full requiem setting, though in the section to purchase music it seems that the Cardinal did write a few different settings
  • Crux fidelis ! I sang it as a choirboy at Antwerp Cathedral, more then 35 years ago and I still think it one of his best ! Also his modest O sacrum convivium is a real gem !
  • We sing a simple "O Memoriale" of his, which was once offered at marcovoli - it may be SAB - I wrote away for many of his books of motetti, and there is a longer, more complex version on same lines which we will look at... whenever I get time ...

do let us know what you select :-)
  • Schonbergian, maybe this will help ?
    I just came across an album on Spotify "Amo Christum: Choral Works of Domenico Bartolucci"

it's also available at Amazon in mp3 format https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BL1JKGQ/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp