• MarkB
  • That is just...sad. It even makes me more sad than my current predicament in which I'm having trouble with an indifferent Pastor. Goodness gracious :/
  • I remember driving by a protestant "church" with a sign reading: "Jesus is My American Idol". Um, actually he's neither, thank you very much! (Unless you're a Mormon, I guess.)
  • Tacky.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Serve God .. second on the list.
    A random schedule .. chaos.
    The devil is in the details.
  • Stimson,
    If Jesus is (someone's) Idol.... what true God should (said person) give Him up for?
  • They should give up idol Jesus for real Jesus. It's like the difference between the Suffering Servant Man-God and the Buddy Christ. Or the difference between St. Nicholas and Santa Claus.
  • Am I correct that the parish music director reports to the parish pastor and serve at his pleasure? Or that, whatever the titles and positions serving as music ministers, again, it is all at the discretion of the pastor? Are not the musical choices in a parish, even if delegated by the pastor to the music director, ultimately the responsibility of the pastor?

I ask these questions because, if the answers are yes, then it seems to me perhaps there has been a breakdown of music education in the seminary training of priests, and also in many places a deficit of diocesan-level institutional support for development of music ministers versed in the traditions of Catholic music. I get the impression that music at the various parishes I visit is a very haphazard aspect of the liturgy, almost separate and apart from it, like an interruption of the liturgy for musical performance that has been selected almost randomly or, at least, at the whim of the music directors of vastly uneven quality from place to place.
  • a deficit of diocesan-level institutional support for development of music ministers versed in the traditions of Catholic music

Is this the masterful use of understatement?
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • MarkB
    I get the impression that music at the various parishes I visit is a very haphazard aspect of the liturgy, almost separate and apart from it, like an interruption of the liturgy for musical performance that has been selected almost randomly or, at least, at the whim of the music directors of vastly uneven quality from place to place.

That is probably the most accurate characterization of Catholic liturgical music in the present time that I have ever read. The only thing I would add is that the quality of instrumentalists and singers also varies widely but skews towards mediocre and below.
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    The only thing I would add is that the quality of instrumentalists and singers also varies widely but skews towards mediocre and below.

Could that be because Catholic churches are so damnably cheap? The best people can always work elsewhere if they need the money.
  • Charles,

Do you mean that Catholic parishes don't pay very much, although they have the means, or that the clerics and most of the laity have been taught to shun "frilly" stuff, like "churchy" music?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Do you mean that Catholic parishes don't pay very much, although they have the means, or that the clerics and most of the laity have been taught to shun "frilly" stuff, like "churchy" music?
    Yes.
    Thanked by 4CharlesW MarkS Liam JL
  • CharlesW
    Double yes.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Triple yes.
    Thanked by 2Liam CharlesW
  • So, why have they been taught to shun "churchy" music? (Mark all that apply)

a) We're all grown up now, and don't need 'churchy' music.
    b) They've finally been taught to hate what deserves to be hated.
    c) It's the fault of the Irish, of course.
    d) Churchy music doesn't meet people where they are.
    e) Someone hijacked the Church's teaching and poisoned the seminary water supply.
    f) Ask Malachi Martin
    g) none of the above
  • ryandryand
    Clearly c)

@irishtenor is to blame
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    LOL I do play and sing a lot of schlock and use all methods at my disposal to impose similar choices on others. It is reasonable to blame me for this.
    Thanked by 1Incardination