Xmas piece for SSA, strings-suggestions welcome!
  • Heath
    Friends, I'm looking for a Xmas piece...with some unique parameters.

My traditional choir this year has few men, all of whom play instruments, and many awesome ladies, few of whom play anything. :)

Anyway, I'm looking for a Christmas piece with these specifications:

--SSA(A)
    --string quartet/quintet (got a double bass, too!)
    --obbligato instrument
    --"Traditional" setting (organ is a possibility, but piano would not be)

Any pieces come to mind? Thanks!
  • Take a look at Carols for Choirs 4.
    Thanked by 2regissør Heath
  • Ceremony of Carols of Benjamin Britten.

In Nativitatem of Marc Antoine Charpentier

Neither work is only SSA, but both are good works.
  • francis
    I have a setting of o holy night that I made for strings choir and piano
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • From Virgin's womb is the obvious choice, albeit one without an "obligato instrument". If that is one of oboe or trumpet and there's organ to fill in the other, you could consider Vivaldi's Gloria a l'ospedale with 4' tenors & basses.

Btw, Charpentier has 4 In nativitatem works: H 314 (SATB, 2 recorders & 2 violins), H 414 (str, 2 rec SATB), H 416 (5vv, 2 vln), and H 421 (SSA & bc). Britten indeed has many strings, all of them played by a single harpist. Edit: I see I missed Canticum in nativitatem Dom. H 393, (SAB, 2 vln) indexed by Cessac under "C" instead of "I".
  • JL
    Any language requirements?
  • Heath
    Not really...Latin or English is best.
  • MarkS
    I made a simple setting of 'Dost thou in a manger lay' for 2 violins, harp, and choir SAB that could easily fiddled with to meet your specs (lower strings pizz-ing out the harp part etc..) if it's of interest. Here's the Finale-generated MP3 with randomly assigned sounds for voices and instruments, but you get the idea.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • depending on your alto voices, Herbeck's "Pueri Concinite" (SABar + S solo) might suit.

At least one arrangement (with organ, not strings) can be found on CPDL.
    But since most of its recordings feature strings, not organ, there must be arrangements out there. It's lovely.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath
  • MarkS
    Suscepit Israel from the Bach Magnificat is SSA with oboe obbligato and continuo; a chordal string accompaniment could easily be added to the continuo part. Not the most 'Christmassy' text, but...
  • chonakchonak
    Well, the Bach Mag does have a Christmas connection, inasmuch as it's sometimes performed with the interpellated movements JSB added, settings of "Freut euch und jubiliert" and other hymns.