Charles Daniel Culbreth
  • chonakchonak
    Good Shepherd Parish in Visalia, CA has announced the death of our friend and colleague Charles Culbreth (writing as "melofluent" on the Forum):

In Loving Memory of Charles Daniel Culbreth, July 5, 1951- September 27, 2018
    From his beloved wife, Wendy Culbreth

Dear friends and family,
    We would like to thank you so much to those of you that have already expressed your love prayers and concern for our family during this time. Charles was a devoted servant of the Lord. He dedicated his life to the liturgy and it's beauty as expressed through music. He shared with eloquence all that music could do to elevate the spirit in worship and in life. He shared his wisdom with young and old, selflessly and elegantly. His greatest joy was his family, our beautiful daughters, our grandchildren, our great grandson, our beloved Frenchies, and dear dear friends who are family to us.
    We are all in a state of shock because the loss came so suddenly. However, it was not sudden for God. In fact, Charles told many of us that he wanted to die in his recliner with one of his dogs at his side, and in fact-God blessed him with that wish. Without pain he left us to be with his God who welcomed him home saying "Well done, good and faithful servant."

• irishtenoririshtenor
    I am stunned and saddened at the loss of our friend meloCharles. May his soul rest in peace.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Requiescat in pace.
  • canadashcanadash
    May the angels carry him to paradise. This is such sad news. My condolences.
  • CharlesW
    May his memory be eternal. This was really unexpected.
  • rogue63
    Eternal memory and blessed repose. May God welcome Charles into his kingdom.
  • May he rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon him
    and all the faithful departed.

I will miss his presence here.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This is truly sad news, for Charles (Charlie) was both melo & fluent, a beloved and dear friend and colleague here, who, although I was never privileged to meet him in person, became almost like a brother to me. I'm stunned and heartbroken at his passing. Yet, I know that he goes now to soar with angels in heaven. May God grand him eternal rest. My prayers are with Wendy and her family and loved ones. Farewell, dear brother, until we meet again one day.
  • Requescat in pace.
  • Charles was a good man with a MAGNIFICENT voice
  • Requiescat in pace
  • This indeed comes as a shock. A very sad shock.

One of my fondest memories from my first Colloquium was being invited by melofluent up to a little shindig in his hotel room with Wendi (not his wife, the other Wendi) and a few other folks. Wine, cheese, and a lot of ridiculous talk about chant. Tipsy, musical conviviality of the first rate.

Save a glass for me on the other side, Melo.
  • Besides the nine angelic choirs, I would like to believe there is a tenth made up of the members of the Church Triumphant. I would like to think, like here on earth, there is always a need for more good tenors. It is my prayer that if he hasn't joined that choir now, he will soon.

I had the pleasure and privilege of first meeting him (and Wendy) in New Orleans during the 2011 Winter Chant Intensive and singing with him at the 2012 Colloquium in Salt Lake City. I had also sought his opinion on music for the 2011 Christmas Eve Mass I was planning (but never materialized). He was also the first person with whom I shared the success I had as lay reader/psalmist during the 2015 Christmas Masses, an e-mail which turned into a 'blog post. I wanted to learn as much from him as I could.

He brought a wisdom to conversations about music in the liturgy that couldn't be ignored or dismissed. Modest about his talents and contributions, he was still a professional through and through.

His birthday was July 5. How poignant would it be if the upcoming Colloquium's Requiem Mass were on that same date.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord; and let your perpetual light shine upon him.
    May he rest in peace.
    May his soul and the souls of all the faithfully departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Amen.
  • Profoundly sad. I'm pretty sure that unmistakable stature was mostly all heart. Blessings and peace on Wendy and the family.
  • Perhaps we ought to start a tradition (and a corresponding thread) of all those Liturgical Musicians we would want remembered in the Memento (or equivalent) by our various pastors, starting with Charles Culbreth and Stephen Reen. Ideally we would print out the list and have it on the altar for the celebrant to formalize his intention - "and all those listed on this paper". Seems the least we can collectively do for our fallen partners in the battle we continue to wage.

Requiescat in Pace.

Edit: Realized I didn't specify for the All Souls Day Requiem Mass...
  • Carol
    I am so saddened by this news. Although I have been part of the forum for less than a year, I enjoyed his comments so much and learned a great deal from his posts! May he rest in peace and may his loved ones find comfort.
  • Liam
    Memory eternal, and comfort to his family and loved ones. As foretold in the Song of Songs, may the voice of his Beloved bid him to rise up and welcome him into the sweet delights of the Master's banqueting house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OFnfWtIa10

• francis
    Requiescat in pace
  • Nisi
    I am so sorry for your loss, Wendy. Charles was a truly wonderful man. He'll be sorely missed. All prayers for you and your family.
  • May his soul rest in the peace of the Lord.

I shall always be grateful for the kindness, friendship, and overflowing generosity Charles showed to me, as to many. We shall all miss him.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Culbreth treated everyone I ever saw him interract with with true kindness... we should all strive to be a bit more like Charles in this regard.
  • dad29
    IIRC, Culbreth sang under Salamunovich. And that's another name for the list In Memoriam, along with Ted Marier, KCSG, and Roger Wagner, KCSG-- and of course, Mgr. Schuler of St Paul.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Charles has been such a wonderful soul and supporter for us all.
  • CharlesW
    I will miss his sense of humor which was about as quirky as my own.
  • ghmus7
    May his song now be with the angels.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Will pray for his soul, thank you.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    A great man who taught several generations to sing. He will be missed!!!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Some news from the place Charles called home:

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article236196698.html
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Not a day goes by that Charles doesn't bless my life through his quick (and often humorous) wit, spacious intellect, depth of musical knowledge, and care for others that he so generously shared with us.
    Thanked by 1Incardination